1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Amazing Spider-Man" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jan 26, 2011.

1. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

I'd say your right on Kiersten Dunst. She wasn't the party girl that Mary Jane should be.

In fact, Emma Stone would make a perfect Mary Jane in my opinion. She also looks to be perfect as Gwen too.

2. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

So what do you all think of the 4-minute preview?

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I had no problem with Tobey or Kirsten. I liked them. If anything, it was the writing that made them look bad with all their whining and crying in the sequels. The first Raimi film got things off to a good start, but then they decided to keep going darker and more "emo" with the subsequent films, and it just made the characters boring and uninteresting.

4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

5. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

Thanks for those links! Now the people who complained about the run time of this movie will be satisfied to know that the movie is fairly long. :D

6. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

It's as if Spidey resembles his Macy's balloon on that EW cover.

Also.... eeeeunnnnnhgggh.

[​IMG]

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure they weren't complaining in the other direction? I miss the 90-minute blockbuster film. Why does everything have to be way too long now?

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, my friend and I were literally just talking about this a few days ago on the phone. He was like, "Whatever happened to just making films that were nice and tight and did what they needed to in 90 minutes? Why does everything have to be a sprawling epic these days?" And I totally agree. I think some of these recent comic book movies would have been much better at around 90-100 minutes.

9. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Some would. Michael Bay is probably the biggest offender, the Transformers have lengths that're positively ungodly. I think most blockbusters should shoot for the 110-120 minute mark. There are certainly exceptions (The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and such things that actually have enough material to sustain their length.). For me personally, it's the generally irritating humor that permeates them. Shia's parents babbling about his genitals, him being molested in the toilet, screaming, robots squirting fluids, Robert Downey Jr. endlessly improvising stuff while bad guys are coming closer (Presumably this is supposed to be suspenseful, but comedy dilutes action, and inherent problem with blockbusters.), Kirk wandering around with his tongue and hands inflated. Some people at my theater laugh, I just find it irritating. The thinking with blockbusters seems to be that more is more bang for your buck, but I think it works the opposite way. Admittedly, I'm also someone who's a fan of exploration movies which make their bones by being short, but I don't have a problem with "epic," it just has to actually be that, not pseudo. Brainless entertainment is fine, I'm a Power Rangers fan for goodness sake, but at least Assault On Precinct 13 and Iron Monkey have the damn sense to be 90 minutes. Trash is fine, just be honest about it. With comic book movies, you have a little leeway since the mythologies are so huge, sometimes there's room to explore more, but then it'd all better be important and had all better tie together properly.

10. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I don't because back in those days people complained that the movies were too short and too rushed and complaining how an extra half hour or so would have really improved the movie.

really now people complain everything is too long but back then everyone complained that everything was too short. Ether way people complained so in the end nothing changed.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

It depends on the project. Some stories take a long time to tell, some don't. If they approach stories as stories rather than focus-grouped excuses to hang set pieces on, it might be less of a problem ;).

12. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I'd say those are two that could have benefited from being 100-120 minutes. It's kind of like what I've said about Peter Jackson's King Kong: "Do we really need three hours to tell a movie about a giant ape?"

I have no problem with 2+ hour movies if, like you said, the material can support it. Though whether or not it does is, I guess, ultimately personal opinion, as I felt both those above films didn't. I was growing weary by the two-hour mark because they just seemed to be taking forever. It's also a matter of finding a good balance between action and story scenes so that the pacing stays steady and makes longer movies seem not so long.

I hear more people complaining these days about movies being too long than I ever did back then about movies being too short. It just seems like back then filmmakers were more keen on making films that were much tighter and focused on doing it's job concisely and without excess. Alfred Hitchcock had a great quote: "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." :D

13. Hanshotfirst1138

Well, the best kind of long movie is something with great dramatic depth, like Lawrence of Arabia or Ran or something with the almost literary scope and ambition and depth that's need. Most blockbusters don't have that since they're designed as light entertainment. Which is fine, it's just why they tend to overstay their welcome, IMO.

William Friedkin argued with Blatty about the length of The Exorcist, insisting that it not pass the two-hour mark. Friedkin said that after the two-hour mark, "Your head goes with it, your heart goes with it, but your ass gives up :D."

14. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

Oops, you're right. I meant too short, not too long. lol

15. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

There are some movies that may have been better if they were longer. For instance X-men 3. They put in so many characters and due to the movie not even being two hours, a lot of them hardly got any screentime.(Cyclops, Angel, and Mystique just to name a few) Although I blame Fox for wanting to rush it out for Summer 06 after Singer left to do Superman Returns(which also had James Marsden)

And there are some movies that didn't need to be as long as they were and dragged on.(King Kong, Pirates Of The Caribbean 3, and Transformers 2) Hell in King Kong, Kong himself didn't even show up until after an hour into the movie.

16. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

To get back on-topic I caught the IMAX 6 minute preview over the weekend when I watched MIB 3 over the weekend and the footage was great. A lot of it was from the trailers and previews but they included a great scene between Peter and Gwen. The chemistry was great and it felt real and so well-executed. There were a few snippets of new footage here and there, some quick scenes of action and stuff, but overall this just keeps looking better and better. I'm really hoping this movie gets a nice strong showing.

17. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

I would love to see this 6-min preview. So far, I have heard positive things from it. Anyone know where this preview is available?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Marvel will likely post it on their official Youtube account in the coming days.

19. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

I certainly hope so. :D

20. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

My only hopes for this film, is that once we see the Lizard in context, the special effects created don't undermine the threat and the physicality of the character. Remember "Spiderman" (2002)? Remember when Parker/Spiderman would swing, climb walls and jump? Many times, I would be looking at a suddenly-transformed digital image of the character and no real flesh and blood. And I know the Lizard is not real, but I'm hoping he will be as believable as the Apes in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" thanks to their wise use of motion-capture. That is really my biggest concern with this film...I'm sure the story/script is well-written.