1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Amazing Spider-Man (2014 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Apr 30, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Comic Book!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The final issue of The Amazing Spider-Man Point One mini-series, and the last issue of the title's current volume!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20.1

[​IMG]

WRITER: GERRY CONWAY
    ARTIST: CARLO BARBERI

-The final chapter of “Spiral” brings Spidey and Wraith together- but not as friends.
    -The crime landscape of New York City is changed from here on out…

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

The "Spiral" storyline seems to have gone out on a whimper. This is definitely a case of a story being stretched out way to far than it actually should've been. Since Marvel seems to be doing 5-issue trades now, this story definitely suffered because of that. The writing and artwork are very strong here. I found Barbari was a bit of a mismatch for Conway at first but they definitely ended up making a good pair. Conway has the voices and characters for Spider-Man down pat and does have a nice story here, but it just seems to whither out when a more tight story likely would've worked better. Outside of the Secret Wars stuff this is the last issue of Spider-Man, right? If so it's a disappointing note to go out on. The series just kinda whithers out with no real solid end point.

3. James Harvey

What's happening to The Parkers?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #4

[​IMG]

WRITER: DAN SLOTT
    ARTIST: ADAM KUBERT

-To protect his family, Spider-Man takes the fight to the god-like REGENT!
    -But that doesn’t mean his daughter will sit back and let her dad have all the "fun!"

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

Is it me or does anyone else get the sense that Slott is trying to make the case for Parker not being a good father here? I think a lot of good material has come about in the comics since the marriage was voided but I can't help but get a sense he's trying to just say "this is why we were right to do it." I know it's not explicit but there seems to just be a bit of an undertone. That could also be partly due to my overall disappointment in this issue which I thought was a little lacking compared to the earlier ones. It's mostly set up for the finale but it just falls a little flat I though. It was nice to see his daughter step up and she even manages to whip up a neat little costume. Not a bad issue but not a great one. Curious to see how it ends though.

5. James Harvey

The conclusion! It's the end of The Amazing Spider-Man (until the title's relaunch next month)! Will events in this series carry over...?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #5

[​IMG]

WRITER: DAN SLOTT
    ARTIST: ADAM KUBERT

-Their last stand?

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

A happier ending than I was expecting but Regent went done much easier than I thought and it doesn't seem like anything here is going to carry over, especially with the news that MJ will be joining the Iron Man comic. It was a fun What If but in a way we didn't really learn a lot more than what was established in the first issue. It's a fun issue and was a good mini-series but in the end it doesn't really have any lasting impact. But if this is the last Spider-Man comic I read since I don't think I'll be reading Marvel anymore then it's a good finale as it was nice to revisit a version of the Spider-Man I grew up with.