1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Amazing Spider-Man (2014 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Apr 30, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Comic Book!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I used to be subscribed to a few books and they almost always arrived late and in bad shape. I eventually found it was just better to get a pull list at my local comic store.

This was a good issue but it seems like the last couple of issues have lost a bit of steam. I am curious about that fail-safe thing that Doc Ock activated. I assume that is now due to go off at any time now. I was also happy to see the MC2 crew make it out pretty unscatched save for Peter's death and I like that Ben will be going with them. A fine wrap-up to everything but I think it could've been a bit stronger.

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I agree I was really happy to seeat least MC2 Mary Jane was still alive and Mayday's conclusion was far better then I expected, darn now I really do want to see a spin off.

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The final arc before "Secret Wars" begins!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16

[​IMG]

WRITER: DAN SLOTT & CHRISTOS GAGE
    ARTIST: HUMBERTO RAMOS

-Spider-Verse is over, but that doesn't mean Peter Parker is safe.
    -Someone (or something) has invaded Parker Industries and is targeting its staff!
    -But how? Parker Industries' security can keep out any living thing?!

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

Not a bad issue but it felt like the book was kind of spinning it wheels a little. Then again after that huge Spider-Verse arc it's no surprise the book is slowing things down just a little bit. And I am glad to see the focus back on Parker Industries a bit. That's actually a neat story for Peter. It does feel a bit too Iron Man-like, for him to have that business, but I'm sure his Parker Luck will eventually pop up. A good issue but nothing special. Hopefully the book will actually move ahead even though Secret Wars is coming.

Marvel also announced this today:

http://www.newsarama.com/23814-spider-man-s-marriage-child-returns-in-secret-wars.html

The "Spider-marriage" returns during Secret War!

5. James Harvey

A special Amazing Spider-Man mini-series!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16.1

[​IMG]

WRITER: GERRY CONWAY
    ARTIST: CARLO BARBERI

-SPIRAL begins here!
    -The underworld is in a constant flux and has been since the Kingpin got taken out at SHADOWLAND. That war is heating up and Spidey's going to do something about it.
    -But he's not the only one-- Police Captain Yuri Watanabe is trying to curtail the madness both in her day job as a police office and as the vigilante THE WRAITH!
    -Do she and Spidey play by the same rules?

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

Now this was pretty fun! A very old-school type of story but a great one! The art doesn't really fit the story but everything else fell into place. I can't believe Gerry Conway is back. It must have been 30 or so years since he has written a Spider-Man comic. His take on Spider-Man seems more witty smart and sly as compared to the more modern take which while writing him as smart also writes him as a bit of a jokester and an idiot. This looks like this could be a good mini-series and is definitely more than I was expecting.

7. James Harvey

Who could be in danger?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17

[​IMG]

WRITER: DAN SLOTT
    ARTIST: HUMBERTO RAMOS

-The Ghost has invaded Parker Industries!
    -With this super-powered saboteur, no secret is safe-- no PEOPLE are safe, either, for that matter.

Comments?

8. Wonder Woman

A good issue but the book seems to have lost a little steam. I can't say I'm a huge fan of how one-dimensional Black Cat is becoming too. I'm glad Slott is keeping Anna Maria around and I love how she handled that little scene with Aunt May and J when asked if she and Peter are still a couple. I'm curious how "Vows" is going to play out in a couple months and if that is an extension of this book or just a Secret Wars mini-series that has no real barring on this comic.

9. James Harvey

The special Amazing Spider-Man mini-series continues!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17.1

[​IMG]

-Who heeds the Hammerhead?! Not Spidey, apparently.
    -The criminal underworld of New York City is on fire and Spidey and the Wraith hope to contain it. Tough luck, you two.

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

I gotta say, I am loving the artwork for this "Spiral" mini-series. I would love to see Barberi do some more Spidey work down the line. That name is familiar though. Didn't he used to draw Impulse or something all those years ago?

11. James Harvey

The final issue before Secret Wars takes over!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18

[​IMG]

Writer: Christos Gage
    Artist: Humberto Ramos

-A huge chapter in The Amazing Spider-Man history comes to a close!
    -Peter's choices as CEO of Parker Industries come home to roost!

What are your thoughts on this issue?

12. Wonder Woman

Are the stories going to pick back up after Secret Wars? I really don't like how they left things with Felicia here. Her being so over-the-top evil seems like such a weird place to leave things, especially since there are hints that this is coming from more than just what Doc Ock did.

13. James Harvey

The special Amazing Spider-Man mini-series continues!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18.1

[​IMG]

-Who heeds the Hammerhead?! Not Spidey, apparently.
    -The criminal underworld of New York City is on fire and Spidey and the Wraith hope to contain it. Tough luck, you two.

Also on sale today, the first issue of the "Secret Wars" mini-series Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows!

[​IMG]

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

The "Renew Your Vows" comic was great, but it felt more like an prologue than an actual story. Still, it was a good read and I'm in for the five or six issues this'll be. After the disappointing end to the last volume of the regular Amazing Spider-Man book, I'm hoping this will end up a ore enjoyable ride. The ending was a bit of a surprise, how far Spidey went to stop Venom and the aftermath from that, and that actually has me more intrigued as to what's coming down the road, but I feel like that could've been done in five or six pages instead of devoting a whole issue to it. And with the revelations coming from what post-Secret Wars Marvel will be like, I just wonder how much closure we'll get from the last volume of the Amazing Spider-Man comic since we know a new #1 is coming.

15. James Harvey

The penultimate issue of Amazing Spider-Man!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19.1

[​IMG]

-As the crime war in New York continues to heat up, The Amazing Spider-Man finds himself caught between a cabal of super criminals and his ally The Wraith!
    -This issue he has to face the Circus of Crime who are back and deadlier than ever!

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

I'm starting to think that maybe Marvel should have released these extra issues as its own mini-series or something. The numbering is not even going to make any sense once the all-new, all-different revamp kicks in in the fall. The mini-series has been good though but it seems a little unfocused. The story has been looking more at Wraith than Spider-Man which is fine but it has made Spider-Man seem a little bit like a guest star in his own book. Still the old-school feel to the whole thing is really nice and the art has looked nice too. It's a good comic but a weak note for the book to go out on before the relaunch.

And even then I'm disappointed by the relaunch coming up. As much as I have really enjoyed Slott's run on the book this will be the books third relaunch with him at the helm and it's starting to feel a little tired to me. I'm not overly thrilled with the "Batman Inc" inspired direction seems to be going in too.

17. James Harvey

Spider-Man's trip through the Secret Wars continues!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #2

[​IMG]

ARTIST: ADAM KUBERT

-Not even The Amazing Spider-Man is safe from Secret Wars! In this new Marvel Universe, Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson and their daughter have to scrape by to make ends meet, but they have each other…
    -Face front, True Believers. This is the one you’ve been asking for.

Comments?

18. Wonder Woman

This issue was more set up but it was still really enjoyable. Since all these Secret Wars spin-offs are basically glorified "What If?" comics it's hard to really get engaged in them since there's no real dramatic tension and weight to everything. Still Slott does a good job at making you care especially since this is the Spider-Man a lot of us here grew up on. It's a fun story that's a welcome return to an older time for Spider-Man but knowing that the status quo here isn't going to carry over kind kills it a little. Still the art is good and the set-up for the rest of the series has be interested.

19. James Harvey

The Black Costume ... Secret Wars-style!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #3

[​IMG]

ARTIST: ADAM KUBERT

-The most controversial Spider-Man story of the year continues!
    -There are some lines Spider-Man won't cross. Right?

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

An alright issue but I can't believe they managed to draw the black costume wrong. I know it's a trivial thing and since this is Secret Wars it could be different due to the different history but still - wow.