"The Amazing Spider-Man (2014 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Apr 30, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Comic Book!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Peter Parker returns in the all-new The Amazing Spider-Man!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Writer: Dan Slott
    Artist: Humberto Ramos

The Greatest Super Hero of All Time Returns! The world may have changed since Spidey's been gone, but so has Peter Parker. This is a man with a second chance at life, and he's not wasting a moment of it. Same Parker Luck, new Parker attitude. Putting the "friendly" back in the neighborhood, the "hero" back into "super hero," and the "amazing" back into "Spider-Man!" Also returning: The recharged and reenergized Electro!

Comments?

Which variant cover did you pick up?

2. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

This felt more like an epilogue to the last issue of Superior Spider-Man than the start of a new era for Peter. It was still a good issue but it didn't really feel as special as it should. Still it is a good place for new readers to jump on to and I'm glad I was able to get a couple nice variant covers to keep and hopefully get signed at a future con. The back-up stories were actually pretty interesting and are definitely setting upcoming storylines. It should have been amazing but instead this issue just felt adequate.

3. James Harvey

Electro is out of control!

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2

[​IMG]

-Electro’s power is out of control! And only one person can fix it...
    -...the Superior Spider-Man!
    -Wait. This book’s the AMAZING Spider-Man now.
    - So we’re probably out of luck.
    -Plus: That thing that freaked you out last issue? There’s more on that. The return of you-know-who? There’s MUCH more on that. Action! Drama! Surprises! There’s MORE OF EVERYTHING!

Comments?

4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

The buzz on this title seems to have dropped quickly. After that huge first issue, no one seems to be talking about this book at all any more. It was another good issue as Spidey starts to tidy everything up from what Doc Ock did. I'm interested to see what will happen with Anna Marie and I like the idea of Spidey building a new super-villain prison.

5. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I read the comic yesterday yet didn't had a chance to comment on it. Surprisingly Peter tells Anna Marie the entire story not just about Doc Ock but also that he's Spider-Man, personally i could see that it was the obvious choice to do since Peter doesn't have feelings for Anna like Doc Ock had so was better to tell the truth. The humor in this issue was good where Spidey had to wear pants since Doc's webbing is more durable then Peter's and what's also funny how Doc even change Peter's entire ringtones. lol also how the Avengers(Spider-Woman mostly) liked the cookies Spidey bring.......hope she doesn't go over with them.....she might not fit into her outfit later XD. Nice to know that everyone is learning that Doc Ock swap minds with Spider-Man, well mostly with the heroes since it will be hard to convince Peter's love ones and friends about it except MJ tho she had her chance on noticing something fishy about Peter yet she didn't do anything about it except Carlie.

Personally i'm not much interested with Electro's story, we do see the mysterious woman with spider powers and Black Cat. Something tells me that Peter won't do well since he's now in charge of Parker Industries unless he do something about it like getting his old team from Horizon Labs

6. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

I like the idea of Parker attempting to cure and capture his rouges rather than just sending them off to a revolving door prison.

There were some hilarious moments in the book, Spider-Woman's reaction to Anna's cookies, the fake pregnancy gag, Spidey's pants... All good stuff.

Nothing truly brilliant like the Superior run but it would be too weird to go straight back to the status quo after it was shuffled so dramatically.

The book is still worth reading for those curious who are thinking of passing.

How does it fare sales wise, compared to Superior?

7. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

Issue one sold over 500,000 copies, so yeah, it's doing better than Superior.

8. James Harvey

She is not too pleased...

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #3

[​IMG]

• Because of her last encounter with Spider-Man, Felicia Hardy lost everything. Now the Black Cat is back, and she doesn’t want any apologies or excuses... just REVENGE.
    • Plus: Spidey teams up with a real hero, fireman Pedro Olivera... who just happens to be the current boyfriend to one Mary Jane Watson.
    • And... more on you-know-who from the opening scene back in ASM #1. You know who we’re talking about. Yeah, that’s right. You better not miss this one!

Comments?

9. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

I enjoyed it, but really hope this book goes back to double shipping too as Slott still writes the book like he is double shipping and I mean that by saying the book feels like it's dragging, yet there are like a gazillan plot plots going on right now. And honestly, the only one interesting to me is Peter Parker's return and Silk(which I hope they do more with her after this arc and Spiderverse)

10. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

The book will return to double shipping once Learn to Crawl concludes.

Enjoying it so far. I do miss Superior, but Slott is still spinning an interesting tale. I especially liked the fake out he uses to distract Black Cat.

11. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Same here. lol it was funny how Peter knew how to act like Doc Ock but no surprise since he had faced him so many times it's not hard for him not to fake it. Black Cat's motive maybe a bit exaggerated, sure she lost her fortune, house and everyone knows about her yet teaming up with Electro especially in the state of mind he's right now, i hope she doesn't regret this or at least bring some sense into her.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it's even worse than exaggerated, since even after learning that the Spider-Man who beat up and busted her was SpOck and not Peter, she's still after petty revenge for having her reputation ruined and is willing to use her powers to put innocent people in danger just to get it. Heck, 'm pretty sure Black Cat's identity is public knowledge and that she already has a criminal record, so it all just seems like they're trying to force her to become more of a straight-up Supervillain despite it not fitting her character :shrug:.

13. James Harvey

Someone else was bit...?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #4

[​IMG]

The radioactive spider that gave Peter Parker his powers bit someone else, too! Who is Silk and where has she been? Don't miss this incredible new character who will be a major Spider-player for the whole year!

Comments?

14. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

That last page smooch is interesting. I wonder if this will be a new long-term relationship for Peter. Maybe Silk has a pheromone power or something. Anyways I like the character of Silk and based on previews for the upcoming Spider-Woman comic it looks like she is going to be around for awhile.

15. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

I see it as just being a last page stunt, I doubt this is more than them both just wanting some lip action after both not getting any for so long.

16. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins New Member

My thoughts in Silk.

I try to keep an open mind on new character. A new character done right, or a reinvented character, can breathe new life into a franchise.

For example the Young Loki. Another example is the introduction of the Red Hulk, and the add and reinvented characters there after in the Hulk franchise. I feel the Hulk franchise is real strong in the story department right now.

Then, there is the other way. Such as One More Day and New Fifty-Two. Where those that organized things did not think things through.

Silk unfortunately fits into this category.

Marvel Comics cannot claim ignorance on creating and developing female super-hero characters. They have had it very well, many times. Starting with Jen Walters/She-Hulk onwards. And the have experience with spider-women as well. A good episode of how to do a spider-woman character right is Mayday Parker/Spider-girl.

Silk unfortunately falls into almost every cliche of a budding Mary Sue.

The story mechanics to her introduction is nothing short of horrible. And here is why.

Let's go over this. Silk is let out of hiding, but the story, nor character, doesn't give a clear reason as to why she is hiding. Only from who she is hiding. And for that matter, why didn't she ask for help in the first place. It is Marvel Comics New York City. There is a super-hero, or sympathetic super-villain, every twenty feet.

Naivety can be forgetting on that one point. If it was just that. But, there is more.

Peter decides to test Silk's dodging and spider-sense. And in Peter's words, Silk is a "Matrix/Bullet Time Good". So, Silk falls into the "instant expert" cliche.

In comparison, Mayday Parker has to practice and train hard to go good with her dodging and spider-sense abilities. I think those throwing marbles scenes for May's training, were brilliant in their simplicity, and well thought out.

Next, was the costume. Silk's costume, is her own webbing around her. I had to groan at this on so many levels. The first one is the logical later set up for this. Because, webbing, over time, dissolving. Meaning a future stripperific scene by Silk.

Now, Mayday did have a stripperific scene in her comic series. But, that was because May kept patching up her father's old spider costume, until it started to literally fall apart on May, while in the job. The scene was funny. It works well for the scene. And you don't see it coming, but when you think about it afterward, it makes perfect sense. That is how you do a stripperific scene.

Silk's costume here is not funny, it is set up for a cheap hollow joke later on.

Then, there is another "instant expert" scene with Silk, where she is suddenly, without any possible way of practice, since she has been a shut-in, for years, she can websling better, and faster, than Peter.

And during the chase, Peter is thinking of how immature Silk is being, where a moments age Silk was worried about being in hiding. It is bad writing to have an character constantly alternate between sad and happy, back and forth, so quickly. And it doesn't stop there.

When Peter catches up with Silk. It is where Silk's family use to live, and whom have sense moved.

But, the rub is the angst over losing Silk losing her family was only cover in one page.

And then, the issue ends of the worse Mary Sue cliche ever. With Silk and Peter suddenly deciding to have a roll in the webs.

Going from proverbially crying on one's shoulder, to jumping their bones in under sixty seconds.

And on a side-note of Mary Sue cliches, the creators are further derailing the Black Cat character in this issue, whom was a former love interest of Peter as Spiderman.

Honestly, I am happy the comic producers put Mary Jane "on the bus", and out of the story. Because, given the Mary Sue cliches, if Mary Jane was still in the story, they comic producers of this storyline might kill her off just to push Peter into a romantic relationship with Silk.

Silk's introduction does not deserve a face-palm. Her introduction deserves the dreaded double face-palm.

17. James Harvey

Is Silk friend or foe?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #5

[​IMG]

-The greatest untold secret of Spider-Man's world has a name - SILK!
    -Who is this mysterious woman and what does she have to do with Black Cat and Electro?!

Comments?

18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

We all know he'll get out of it somehow but I have to admit I smiled when the cliffhanger was the possible unmasking of Spider-Man. We know something'll happen to make that not happen, but it's the old-fashioned kind of cliffhanger I like seeing from time to time. I'll be back next month for sure to see how the first arc wraps up.

I'm also really enjoying Silk! I really dislike how whenever a new character is introduced, people always jump on and call her a Mary-Sue or he a Gary-Sue. It seems to me that people use that to complain about something that they don't like, like something that could rustle up the status-quo. Give it chance. Silk looks like she could be a neat addition to the cast.

19. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Anyone want explain how the events of Civil War are still part of the continuity (as specifically mentioned in a recent Fantastic Four issue), yet JJ is taking advantage of the unmasking of Spider-Man? Did "One More Day" and other stories/events cherry pick what it wanted to alter from continuity?

20. James Harvey

Setting the stage for the upcoming Spider-Man epic event "Spider-Verse!"

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6

[​IMG]

• The finale of the record-breaking first arc of The Amazing Spider-Man where all heck breaks loose on Peter Parker.
    • Parker Industries has promised a humane and secure super-villain containment system but Black Cat and Electro have other ideas…
    • The secrets of Silk have been revealed!

Comments?