1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 2, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

9.1%
  2. ****1/2

9.1%
  3. ****

18.2%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

9.1%
  6. **1/2

18.2%
  7. **

27.3%
  8. *1/2

9.1%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

See, you keep making statements that aren't quantifiable in any way shape or form given any actual factual evidence but framing it as though said evidence exists. We get it. You're a Marvel Studios fan.

You've basically been screaming the same stuff from day one, months before the movie was out mind you, "Marvel needs to regain this franchise! This should be with Marvel!" And we get it. It's beating a dead horse at this point.

2. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Well you havent really explained yourself either. Not even a why or a reasoning just nothing but fanboy banter.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

No, a lot fanboys and fangirls THINK Marvel would've done it better. Big difference. There's no factual evidence to support that claim one way or the other.

I myself have never been a big Spider-Man fan, so I can't honestly say that Marvel handling the Spider-Man movie franchise would instantly result in a better series of films. Any given studio can only do so much when the general public interest just isn't all there. I think it was just too soon for a reboot; people are kind of Spidey-ed out right now.

#43 Silverstar, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

People also keep having this fantasy that if the next Spider-Man or X-Men movie bombs then Marvel can swoop in and integrate them into their universe but that's really not the case. Kevin Feige explicitly said that when they regain control of a franchise, that usually means it either did poorly or was run into the ground, and thus they can't immediately reboot them.

Notice how there are no confirmed plans for Ghost Rider or Blade, and Daredevil is getting a TV show (which is admittedly cool) rather than an expensive movie reboot. Should they get the FF, X-Men, and Spider-Man back they'd likely be forced to keep them in limbo for a while anyway just because there'd be too great risk to try and give them movies again.

5. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What makes Marvel successful is that They Actually CARE about the history of their characters so they try to keep close to the original story as humanly possible. But this movie and the one before took that dumped it in the garbage.

And about that thing about beating a dead horse with a stick. That's just telling you to give up. You don't quit on something you believe in

6. Tohya

Ehhhh I think your reaching a bit here. True having none of the A listers brought out Marvels A game but its not like having Spider man in their back pocket would of made them "try less" or force them not to be as creative. I look at what they did with Hulk. While not a better movie then Lee's I think they gave the audience what they wanted out of a Hulk movie. I think they could of done the same with Spider man. Your point about Captian America is basically making brickrrb2's argument for him. Marvel Studios does put more work into making their characters more interesting...you think the case would be different if Spider Man was in there?

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I mean, yeah, that's what I said. It would be different if Spider-Man was in there. Marvel Studios knew it had to build up characters that not everyone knew about, so it put in more effort, made a more coherent and creative plan, and quite simply tried harder. And we got better films. Necessity is the mother of invention.

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Nobody's telling you to abandon what you believe in; what makes it "beating a dead horse" is when you keep parroting the exact same talking points again and again. After a while it becomes unnecessary and kind of annoying. Saying "Marvel could do this better!" or "This should go to Marvel!" over and over isn't going to make the legal rights to these franchises magically fly over there. We know how you feel. While your opinion isn't invalid, there's no need to run it into the ground.

If you were talking about Sony's X-Men films I'd be inclined to agree, but I think Sony's done a pretty credible job with Spider-Man (I prefer Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker to Tobey Maguire's, TBH). I tend to think it's more of a case of Sony rebooting the franchise way too soon to an audience that's already suffering from Spider-Fatigue.

#48 Silverstar, May 6, 2014
  9. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

You guys can leave this Sony/Marvel fanboy crap at the door. I just want SOMEONE to make a good Spider-Man movie again, that's all I'm asking for.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I....am in the camp that thinks Marvel would do a better job with Spider-Man. At the very least, I have a feeling the villains would have been better, and the plot less crammed.

11. Tohya

I agree and its a good observation but what does it have to do with Spider-man being better off in Marvel's hands? Its true that Marvel would of had trouble juggling all the main franchises but I think they would of managed just fine with only Spider-Man. For the record I don't think Marc Webb would of made a better movie if he was working for Marvel instead, but rather, I think there would of been a lot more excitement for Spider-Mans future.

#51 Tohya, May 6, 2014
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So yeah, there was a end credits scene that got cut. I think it was mentioned leading up to the movie release. But here's stills. Hopefully it'll be in the Blu-Ray/DVD releases. I guess it was a combination of the X-Men teaser and the staff shifting towards the Sinister Six angle. And perhaps they are saving Norman's resurrection for ASM 4. I mean, they still got 4 more villains to introduce for the Six and only have ASM 3 (and/or maybe introduce the last one or two in the Six movie).
    Stills from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2's Cut Post Credits Scene

13. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

Damn, that really should have stayed instead of the forced X-Men commercial that has not has nothing to do with Spider-Man anyway.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it was a compromise to get the director for more Spider-Man films so between Paramount and Fox - this appears to be part of the deal they made.

In any case, this teaser might be suited for the end of ASM 3 when the storyline 'fractures' off to the Sinister Six spin off (and Venom) and ASM 4. Plus, it might have felt off when Spider-Man is dealing with a major death and they switch to a seemingly innocuous background character being seemingly resurrected. One story at a time. But I don't know. Some say they crammed so much into ASM 2, this teaser's inclusion wouldn't have hurt or helped that argument.

15. Sonic_Eclipse

Yeah, and no doubt Fox also wants to fool some people into thinking that both franchises are set in the same continuity.

16. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I know I've already joined in on the ASM2 hate brigade, but the Film Crit Hulk just posted an essay that sums up why I didn't like this movie much eloquently than I ever could: 237 Burning Questions for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Warning: The whole thing is all caps)

And for the people that really liked this movie, I have a question. What was the moral of this movie? What was the theme, or the motif, or the message? I've thought about this for a while and I have no idea.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

If you try really hard and apply yourself, really buckle down and tackle the problem and the obstacles in your way, you can get your girlfriend killed.

That has to be it, right? Peter ignores every fibre of common sense in his being. He breaks a promise he made to a dying man. He stops Gwen when she's almost to safety. He ignores a GHOST! He goes above and beyond to make quite sure that his girlfriend is killed.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So graduating high school sucks? Be guilty for the rest of your adult life? You'll never have a life of your own? With Great Power comes Great Screw Ups?

I get they wanted it to be 'there's always hope' but it got so muddled by the end.

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I was actually gonna question that since i remember they mention that scene and the movie came out we get the X-Men one which it was odd and thought that ending scene was a rumor. Still have to see if they are considering on keeping that story of Norman which the only thing i can see him revive if they clone him(probable Clone Saga story?)

20. Sonic_Eclipse

It would be a nice treat if they restore the real end credits scene back in its place for the Blu-ray release. But I'm not counting on it.

#60 Sonic_Eclipse, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014