1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing Race: Toon Zone - Leg #7

Discussion in 'Reality Bytes' started by TimTwoFace, Sep 4, 2005.

1. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

UPDATE:

Clues have been sent.

As soon as Red Giant and Weatherman get their remaining answers for Leg 6 to me, I'll post the story of what's happened since.

And remember, Red Giant/Weatherman, you can't open your Leg 7 clues until you send me all the remaining correct answers for Leg 6!

-Tim

TimTwoFace's Notes
    Note #1: Just in case I didn't make it abundantly clear already, ALL PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR THIS GAME MUST BE SENT TO ME. Most weekdays I won't be around to check my PMs until the mid-afternoon.
    Note #2: LEG #7 WILL CLOSE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th, 2005, at 6pm PACIFIC TIME...or when everyone checks in, whichever comes first.
    Note #3: For any additional help with the rules, refer to the LEG #7 post at the Reality Bytes board.
    Note #4: You will also notice that there is an optional FAST FORWARD clue on this leg of the race. You know how this works - all may try for it, but only the first to complete it can reap its benefits. The benefit of completing this challenge is that you don't need to do any of the other challenges for this leg of the race. (Remember, you can only do ONE Fast Forward during the entire course of the race, so you must choose when to do so.)
    FAST FORWARD CHALLENGE: Open to everyone
    IMMUNITY CHALLENGE: Open to all but Kury Wagner/Lord Dalek
    LEG #7
    -Checkpoint A:
    All remaining teams are getting the boot from Crete – and, ironically, traveling to a massive boot as their next stop. The particular city to which you are traveling has acted as the setting for some plays by the famous William Shakespeare; in fact, in one of these plays, this city appears in the title. One of these plays that Shakespeare wrote was influenced by a piece of literature written by Arthur Brooke. To answer this question, you must name the city, the country you are in, and name the two Shakespeare plays which were set at this location approximately four centuries ago.
    CITY:
    SHAKESPEARE PLAYS:
    -Checkpoint B:
    Make your way by train under the Tuscan sun to the city where you can find “Palazzo della Carovana”. This city is also home to a very well known structure, renowned around the world for its vertical deviation of 5.5 degrees; your clue is at the very top of this structure. To answer this question, name the city and country you are in, the structure, when construction commenced, when it was completed, and how high above the ground you are when standing at the very top of this structure - in metric!
    CITY:
    TOWER:
    CONSTRUCTION START:
    CONSTRUCTION END:
    HEIGHT:
    -Checkpoint C:
    Outside the aforementioned structure you will find a rental car – a Ferrari, native to this country – waiting for you. Hop in and drive to the city which surrounds the least populous enclave nation on the planet. Once in this city, make your way to the Flavian Amphitheatre to pick up your next clue. To answer this question, you must name the city, the alleged twin founders of this city, when it was founded, the country you are in, the enclave country nearby, another name for the structure known as the “Flavian Amphitheatre”, and the dates between which it was constructed.
    CITY:
    TWIN FOUNDERS:
    FOUNDING DATE:
    ENCLAVE NATION:
    OTHER NAME FOR STRUCTURE:
    CONSTRUCTION DATES:
    -Checkpoint D:
    Travel to the regional capital of Naples, the location of this famous ancient destroyed city. To answer this question, you must translate what “Naples” means in English, the name of this ancient city, what caused its destruction, when it happened, and which Roman emperors were in power that year.
    NAPLES TRANSLATION:
    ANCIENT CITY NAME:
    CAUSE OF DESTRUCTION:
    WHEN IT HAPPENED:
    EMPERORS IN POWER:
    -Checkpoint E; PIT STOP:
    Head to the archaeological site the top of Palatine Hill, the pit stop of this leg of the race. It is located in the same country as all the previous checkpoints in this leg. To check in, you must answer the name of the city you are currently in; then, using the clues below, solve for “X” in the equation given; "X" represents a date. After getting X, say why this date is significant in this city’s/country's history.
    C + X = 3639J – A(E^H - B) + F/G + D
    A = Number of letters in the name of the city in which this pit stop is located
    B = -753
    C = The number of Roman Catholic Popes that have served (as of Sept 2005)
    D = The angle at which the Leaning Tower of Pisa leans (in degrees)
    E = Number of notable legendary “hills” in the city in “A”, including Palatine Hill. These hills hold a very strong mythological significance to this city.
    F = Combined (added) dates of all modern Olympic games held (or to be held) in this country as of 2012. (The years of games that may have been cancelled due to other world events are to be omitted from this equation.)
    G = Number of countries with which this country shares a land boundary.
    H = Number of continents the Roman Empire had once spread upon (in whole or in part)
    J = Number of official languages in this country.

CITY:
    SOLVE FOR “X”:
    SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS DATE:

FAST FORWARD – LEG #7
    Upon leaving the Isle of Crete, you’re given your Fast Forward clue – a gold medal of a past Olympiad. Upon inspecting it, you discover that this medal – with the marking “XXVII” (among others) showing – features an ancient structure that isn’t Greek at all. When these Olympic games were held, this set off quite a controversy; when you discover what ancient structure this controversial medal apparently features, go to the city in which you can find this “incorrectly Greek” structure.
    To answer this question, you must name the Olympic year these faulty medals were used, what city/country hosted those particular games, the ancient structure that caused such controversy, the world city and country in which this ancient structure is currently located, and a picture/link to a picture of this medal.
    OLYMPIC YEAR:
    HOST CITY/COUNTRY:
    CONTROVERSIAL STRUCTURE:
    HOME CITY/COUNTRY TO STRUCTURE:
    LINK TO MEDAL PIC:

THE LAST TEAM TO ARRIVE AT THE PIT STOP WILL BE ELIMINATED.

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I didn't know you were celebrating MY birthday at your house four days early, Timbo. I feal so honored. :D

3. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

You should! Afterall, he didn't even celebrate my birthday early... and my birthday should be a national holiday... somewhere.

4. TimTwoFace

5. Fresh V

Fresh V Stand By Me

Holy crap. I hate you, Checkpoint E.

6. Zach

Zach Active Member

I think I can do Checkpoint E. I can do almost all of it, anyway. Anything I can't do I can deal with anyway. It's called finishing your algebra homework early 2nd period tommorow and having Mrs. Massey help you. :D

7. Fresh V

Fresh V Stand By Me

It's not the Math part. It's the other part.

8. Lord Dalek

Yeah, Tim... I think you got the problem wrong.

9. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

And for Checkpoint D, if you work out the exact date, Tim got one of those parts wrong.

But otherwise it was OK. E was the only real hard one... (although saying that, I've probably got it wrong).

10. LightShadow1890

LightShadow1890 ..needs to change her avatar.

Yeah....though I find Mahou and my answer for Checkpoint E a little weird. I'm sure I did it right (with the PEMDAS and the searching for numbers....) though....eh :sweat:. My Algebra teacher's gonna kill me. :ack:

And Checkpoint A might send your head twirling...god...I hate it when I have to pick between two answers...:mad:

11. TimTwoFace

CONGRATULATIONS TO OTACON and PUPMON 4.0 FOR WINNING THE FAST FORWARD!

The Fast Forward clue for this leg is now closed.

-Tim

12. TimTwoFace

Nope. Trust me, I triple-checked it yesterday again, just to make sure it was correct - and it is. I've had some friends not in this game work it out as well, and it all worked out A-OK.

Keep workin' at 'em, guys! :)

-Tim

13. TimTwoFace

UPDATE:

Two teams have made it to the pit stop. Seven to go! :)

-Tim

14. Zach

Zach Active Member

A was very easy to find. :shrug:

I did A, B, C, and D, and then I find out that Pupmon got the fast forward for us. All that work for nothing. Oh well, I can't complain. :anime:

15. Captain Zechs

Captain Zechs Active Member

Tim...if it wasn't your birthday id kill you right about now :mad:

16. Daffy Dork

Daffy Dork Active Member

There's always tomorrow :evil: :evil:

just kidding, to me this weeks challenge was more time consuming than hard for me

EDIT: redundancy:predundancy:p

17. Zach

Zach Active Member

I am willing to help anyone on checkpoints A, B, C, and D. :)

18. Lord Dalek

Has anybody gotten the equation right? ANYBODY???

19. Daffy Dork

Daffy Dork Active Member

yup, It wasn't hard at all, just time consuming as I said earlier

20. Lord Dalek

Well now that I know what I did wrong, it isn't hard after all.