1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing Race: Toon Zone - Leg #3

Discussion in 'Reality Bytes' started by TimTwoFace, Aug 7, 2005.

1. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

[​IMG]

RECAP

After a night's rest at the palace in Chapultepec Park in Ciudad de Mexico, the twelve remaining teams were promptly woken up at sunrise and brought to the starting line. Some were rested, some were still groggy from getting to the pit stop so late the night prior, but one fact remained - they were as pumped as ever to get on with their race around the world.

Katia, my Mexican correspondent, and her trio of children dropped the checkered flag, and the twelve teams were off.

The first checkpoint was a few hours to the east in the city of Puebla, where teams correctly identified that this was the location of the Battle of Puebla, where the Mexicans fought off the invading French forces on May 5, 1862. Feliz Cinco de Mayo, everyone!

[​IMG]

Hopping into their rental cars, the teams drove southeast out of Puebla - and sped through a handful of countries along the Pan-American Highway to the capital of Costa Rica, San Jose. (Other countries visited along this route but not featuring a checkpoint are Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua).

The Pan-American Highway doesn't feature the best conditions in the world, so it's understandable that a number of the teams were a wee bit sick by the time they hit the checkpoint - but at least they all got there in once piece.

[​IMG]

With Van Halen jamming through the speakers, the teams then drove their fastest down the Pan-American Highway to Panama City - the Panamanian capital and the city acting as the pit stop for this leg of the race. The actual pit stop was a boat that I had anchored out in the middle of the Panama Canal; all it took was a quick swim through the water - and some quick dodging of the passing-by freight ships - to check in.

[​IMG]

Man, you guys were fast this round - I barely had a chance to vacate the premises and sail away in my lifesaver before you all showed up. Left in my wake was my Panamanian correspondent, President Martín Torrijos.

Once again, Lord Dalek and Kury Wagner did an exceptional job and managed to check into the pit stop first - that makes two in a row for them! Very close behind were Aurora and Javeman in second, and Colin/Gwen in third.

The next eight teams all checked in within the next few hours - and then last, but not least, came Alex Toon and Welshie's Mate. As they climbed up the rungs of the ladder along the side of the boat; wringing the water out of their clothes, they were greeted by Martín as the sun set over the Pacific in the background.

"Alex Toon, Welshie's Mate - I regret to inform you that you're the last team to arrive." They both look at each other, and then look down, accepting their fate. "The good news -" Huh? "- is that this is the first of a handful of non-elimination legs on the race, and thus, you two are still able to partake in the competition."

Well then, a happy ending, after all! Once again, congratulations to all the teams making it this far.

THIS CONCLUDES THE SECOND LEG OF THE AMAZING RACE: TOON ZONE.

The Panama Canal. Quiet. Peaceful. Serene. That is, of course, until that noisy cruise ship sailed by and blew its horn, rudely awaking the twelve teams once again.

No rest for the wicked, after all.

After a short period where the teams were to get washed and dressed and packed, they were instructed to meet on the deck of the boat, lined up against the railing on its perimeter.

"Good morning to you all, and again, congratulations for making it this far," President Torrijos said. "In my hand I have the clues that Tim faxed me this morning - they are for your upcoming leg of the race." Whether they mean to or not, everyone licks their lips in anticipation. "Before I hand them out to you, I'd like to reitterate the rules for you all: play hard, play smart, play safe..."

The clues are then handed out in an orderly fashion.

"GO!!!"

The twelve teams tear open the clue and huddle amongst themslves, so as not to give away any information to the others.

After a few brief seconds, the teams leap from the deck of the boat and - this time wearing waterproof clothing - swim out into the Panama Canal, in search of the next checkpoint on this leg of the race.

TimTwoFace's Notes

After the Practice Leg, I think it's safe to say that you generally understand how to play. Remember, you can answer all of these questions at once in one PM, one at a time in seperate PMs, or in whatever combination necessary. I will not be looking at any corrections until after I have checked your initial PM to me; once you PM me any answers, don't bother sending them to me again until I get back to you. When I write back, I will tell you how far you have progressed. All of these PMs will be viewed by myself in sequential order.

You know...first come, first serve, first place (if you're lucky).

When you send PMs to me, either member of your team can do so; it doesn't matter to me which you designate as "leader" in this case. You could alternate if you choose, it doesn't matter - but only one person is necessary. Make sure you and your partner communicate well and are confident with your answers before sending them to me.

Remember, every second counts!

Also remember, SPELLING COUNTS, and as some of you are now aware, I'm pretty picky with my answers. (Recall back to the fact a number of you had trouble with what "state" or "federal district" in which you'd find Mexico City, and how many floors the Torre Mayor had.) Remember, READ ALL THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING.

PS - Just in case I didn't make it abundantly clear already, ALL PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR THIS GAME MUST BE SENT TO ME. Most weekdays I won't be around to check my PMs until the mid-afternoon.

PPS - Even though I've posted the clues already, you can NOT submit answers to these clues until after the following time: TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th, at 2:00pm (PST). If they are seen by myself before this time, they will not be considered invalid. Do not resend them before I write back to you, either. (We're trying something new here, so please, bear with me.)

PPPS - LEG #3 WILL CLOSE SUNDAY, AUGUST 14th, 2005, at 6pm PACIFIC TIME...or when everyone checks in, whichever comes first.

IMPORTANT TIMES TO REMEMBER:

QUESTION POSTING TIME:
    Late Sunday evenings, PST.

EARLIEST AT WHICH YOU CAN SUBMIT QUESTIONS TO ME:
    Tuesday, August 9th, at 2pm PST

CLOSING TIME:
    Sunday, August 14th, at 6pm PST.

LEG #3

-Checkpoint A:
    Unlock this immaculate, alphanumeric clue to figure out your next destination.
    03-15-14-03-05-16-03-09-15-14
    Board a ship (called the Huáscar) that is passing through the Panama Canal; this ship will then take you to a naval base in which this historical relic of a ship is normally kept. This naval base is located outside the city with the second largest metropolitan area in the longest/thinnest country in South America. To answer this question, you must name the city, the state/province/region in which it lies, the country, and the naval base the Huáscar calls home.
    CITY:
    REGION:
    NAVAL BASE/HARBOUR:

-Checkpoint B:
    Travel to the biggest city in this same country. To answer this question, you must name this city, provide its original name, the mountain range in which it’s situated, and its global coordinates, according to latitude/longitude. (I will provide a 10-minute margin of error for these coordinates.)
    CITY:
    ORIGINAL NAME:
    MOUNTAIN RANGE:
    GLOBAL COORDINATES:

-Checkpoint C; PIT STOP:
    Make your way through this massive, crowded city of nearly five million to its capital building. Be sure to raise your flag up the flagpole as you enter the pit stop. To answer this question and enter the pit stop, you must name the city in which you are currently located, the country, a URL link to an image of this country’s flag, the official name of this capital building, and the president currently in power of this country which you will meet upon arrival.
    CITY:
    FLAG IMAGE:
    NAME OF CAPITAL BUILDING:
    PRESIDENT:

THE LAST TEAM TO CHECK INTO THE PIT STOP WILL BE ELIMINATED.

LEG #3 STATUS:

Not Yet Begun:
    (ie, you still have to complete all checkpoints)
    -Kylewayne & Outlander
    -PaQ & Anime Guy

Checkpoint A:
    (ie, you still have to complete Checkpoint B and C)

Checkpoint B:
    (ie, you still have to complete Checkpoint C)

Checkpoint C; PIT STOP
    (ie, congratulations, you're at the pit stop! Time to relax!)
    1st) Kury Wagner & Lord Dalek
    2nd) MahouShoujo13 & LightShadow1890
    3rd) Mr Cat Dog & Kinel Ozoa
    4th) AuroraSzalinski & Javeman
    5th) Colin & Guinaevere
    6th) Captain Zechs & CoolSSJEnergy
    7th) Red Giant & Weatherman
    8th) Otacon & Pupmon 4.0
    9th) daffy dork & Bearpod91
    10th) Alex Toon & Welshie's Mate

2. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

So... when are you going to post the questions?

3. TimTwoFace

Sometime...just keep checking back. :)

-Tim

4. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm so glad we're allowed to post the answers to our challenges during a time when I'm unavailable! YAY! Makes me so happy =P

5. TimTwoFace

I changed that; I just went through the other thread to double-check on things and have changed it to 1:30pm PST on Tuesday. No one really had a problem with that one, from what I saw. It works with school schedules, work schedules, time zone differences - there's not much more I can do at this point, since apparently weekends aren't workable for everyone.

Everyone has enough time to do their homework now, and then there's a time at which they can submit their answers to me. It's win win! The only change is that I'm not posting a DEFINITE time as to when the questions will be posted - it will be sometime Sunday afternoon/evening (PST), though. Having 36-48 hours to work on these things should fit everyone's schedule, too.

-Tim

6. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

1:30 works better than noon does... tho, it's still not great, since I'll probably be getting home from work at that time if I'm lucky... thank ya.

7. TimTwoFace

Well, the bottom line is that if I make it 2:00pm or later, MrCatDog is gone for the night...if I make it earlier, everyone is asleep or at work or school.

1:45pm might be a good compromise. That's about the only thing I can do from here.

-Tim

8. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

I can stretch to 2:30 if it helps anyone... as we all should have had time to sort out the answers anyways by then, and it only takes a simple click to PM them all off.

9. Captain Zechs

Captain Zechs Active Member

i wont be here at all this week, so good luck everybody and remember, go easy on my teammate ;):p

10. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

And this time, my teammate and I need to make sure we send the questions in bang on 1:30 (or 9:30, in my case). We will not get so lucky a second time, I think...;):sad:

-Matt A-

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Why do I get the impression you're gonna try a new system when the school season starts?

12. TimTwoFace

OK, after some discussion, we've finally settled on a time when you can submit your answers at the earliest, since our overseas buddies can manage it.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th, 2005 - 2pm PST

There we go, everyone! I hope that works.

-Tim

PS - Questions have been posted!

13. guinaevere

guinaevere agent provocateur

Tim... August 14 is Sunday. Not Tuesday. :confused:

Unless you mean Tuesday, August 14, 2007. You can thank my smart-alec partner for that observation.

14. TimTwoFace

Because Gwen was a smarty-pants, I must re-iterate...

You can mail questions to me any time after this time:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th, 2005 - 2pm PST

There we go, everyone! I hope that works.

-Tim

(Note: This post was posted at 4:52PM PST.)

15. Daffy Dork

Daffy Dork Active Member

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! my answers just went in!

16. Lord Dalek

And AWAY we go!

17. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

Same here... at 10:00pm exactly! (Well, a couple of seconds overdue, but you get the picture)

18. Fresh V

Fresh V Stand By Me

Why, oh why, did I have to watch One Piece and forget about this?

Gaahh!! I'm 10 minutes late!

19. Lord Dalek

[​IMG]

20. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Thought I wasn't the only one...:p:sad::sweat:

-Matt A-