1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing Race: Toon Zone - Leg #2

Discussion in 'Reality Bytes' started by TimTwoFace, Jul 31, 2005.

1. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

[​IMG]

RECAP

From the second I dropped the checkered flag and my balloon made its ascent out of Times Square, I could see how competitive the race was going to be.

The clues made it fairly obvious that teams were headed for more tropical environs; that caused there to be quite a raucous when teams were fighting amongst each other over who would get the first available taxi to JFK International.

3357 km later...

As the first teams landed at Benito Juarez International in Mexico City, it was obvious that some wanted to take in the Mexican culture the best way possible - by going to the nearest watering hole and throwing back dos cervezas.

[​IMG]

Stumbling out of the bar, the teams dodged a few oncoming peseros and squeezed into the tiny little Volkswagon bugs lined outside of the airport; this make of vehicle is the most popular sort used for taxis in this city. It took a while, but eventually, all of the teams managed to figure out which was the tallest skyscraper in Mexico City and ascended to the observation deck to recieve their next clue.

I guess having my giant hot air balloon achored to the building wasn't obvious enough.

[​IMG]

From there, the teams could see their next checkpoint only a few blocks to the west - Chapultepec Park, the largest and most popular park in the city. After hoofing it for a few blocks down Paseo de la Reforma, teans could see the palacial pit stop ahead of them.

[​IMG]

I had already vacated the premises by the time I saw them coming, but my Mexican correspondant, Katia, tells me that it was a fight to the finish between the two top teams, Kury Wagner/Lord Dalek and Colin/Gwen. They'd been jockeying for position ever since they left the airport, but in the end, Kury/Dalek came out on top; Colin/Gwen were only five minutes behind.

Katia was most impressed with how quickly these two teams learned about her fair city. She greeted both teams as they checked in.

By sundown, four other teams checked in, rounding out the top six: Captain Zechs/CoolSSJEnergy, daffy dork/Bearpod91, AuroraSzalinski/Javeman, and Kylewayne/Outlander.

The sun went down, but the party was just beginning. To celebrate travelling nearly 3400km that day, an impromptu fiesta broke out; dancing, dining, more cervezas, it was quite a party to behold. Hey, after travelling that far, you need to cut loose and relax with your fellow competitors, right?

Overnight, during the fiesta - which was slowly turning into a siesta - four other teams checked in. They were PaQ/Anime Guy, MahouShoujo13/LightShadow1890, Red Giant/Weatherman, and Mr Cat Dog/Kinel Ozoa.

Two teams seemed to have trouble right out of the gate for this leg, but they managed to get in before the cut-off point, anyway. Otacon/Pupmon 4.0 and
    Alex Toon/Welshie's Mate, you're going to have to work on your teamwork and communication skills if you're interested in continuing on much further past this point.

The last team to check in, Style 92/imisshostinCCF, has been eliminated. Good race guys, but unfortunately, these are the rules. This team is brought in to the palace to give their last goodbyes to their competitors, and are then ushered away to an unknown location.

THIS CONCLUDES THE FIRST LEG OF THE AMAZING RACE: TOON ZONE.

The twelve remaining teams, with images of sugarplumbs dancing in their heads, sleep peacefully in their cots that have been set up in the great hall of the palace.

All the serenity is broken when my correspondant, Katia, creeps into the palace and rings a well to wake you all.

"Good morning to you all. You have half an hour to get up, get washed, get dressed, and get to the starting line outside. I'll see you there."

The twenty-four contestants leap out from under their sheets and make a mad dash for the one bathroom; guys are in and our in two minutes, the ladies, ten times as long. Miraculously, they all manage to get ready in time; they all drag their backpacks, and each other, outside of the palace of Chapultepec park and place a toe on the white starting line.

Katia stands about ten metres in front of the teams, tall and proud. A trio of Mexican children are grouped behind her.

"Tim would like to congratulate the twenty four of you for making it this far; travelling 3400 kilometres in one day, at such a frantic pace as this, is no easy task. He is most impressed."

Yeah yeah, the teams think. Quit stalling!

At that point, the trio of children walk forward and hand each of the teams one envelope. "My helpers, Ricardo, Emiliano, and Maria-Fernanda, are now passing out the clues Tim has provided for the forthcoming leg of the race. Do not open them until instructed, por favor."

Once every team has recieved their clues, the children gather back around Katia and play amongst themselves.

"Muy bien."

Katia raises one arm and looks up in the sky and can see the sun just barely creeping over the horizon.

"As Tim said earlier...play hard, play smart, play safe..."

And after a dramatic pause, she throws her arm down.

"GO!!!"

The twelve teams tear open the clue and huddle amongst themslves, so as not to give away any information to the others.

After a few brief seconds, the teams run past Katia and the three children, out of Chapultepec Park, and to destinations unknown.

TimTwoFace's Notes

After the Practice Leg, I think it's safe to say that you generally understand how to play. Remember, you can answer all of these questions at once in one PM, one at a time in seperate PMs, or in whatever combination necessary. I will not be looking at any corrections until after I have checked your initial PM to me; once you PM me any answers, don't bother sending them to me again until I get back to you. When I write back, I will tell you how far you have progressed. All of these PMs will be viewed by myself in sequential order.

You know...first come, first serve, first place (if you're lucky).

When you send PMs to me, either member of your team can do so; it doesn't matter to me which you designate as "leader" in this case. You could alternate if you choose, it doesn't matter - but only one person is necessary. Make sure you and your partner communicate well and are confident with your answers before sending them to me.

Remember, every second counts!

Also remember, SPELLING COUNTS, and as some of you are now aware, I'm pretty picky with my answers. (Recall back to the fact a number of you had trouble with what "state" or "federal district" in which you'd find Mexico City, and how many floors the Torre Mayor had.) Remember, READ ALL THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING.

PS - Just in case I didn't make it abundantly clear already, ALL PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR THIS GAME MUST BE SENT TO ME. Most weekdays I won't be around to check my PMs until the mid-afternoon.

PPPS - LEG #2 WILL CLOSE SUNDAY, AUGUST 7th, 2005, at 6pm PACIFIC TIME...or when everyone checks in, whichever comes first.

LEG #2

-Checkpoint A:
    Decipher the following clue:
    050505. This was the 143rd anniversary of what event in world history? When did this event happen, and where? To answer this question, I need to know the city, state/province, and country in question, as well as the date of this event and the name of the event which took place on that day.
    CITY:
    STATE:
    EVENT NAME:
    EVENT DATE:

-Checkpoint B:
    [​IMG]
    Look at the map I’ve provided; in this map, you see land that is a part of this country. Once you identify this country, travel to its capital city. To answer this question you must give me the name of this city, the state/province it is in, and its country – and then the area of this country (in METRIC – square kilometers).
    CITY:
    PROVINCE:
    AREA OF COUNTRY:

-Checkpoint C; PIT STOP
    Leaving Checkpoint B, you drive southbound (or, more correctly, southeast) into its adjacent country; Van Halen would likely feel at home here on this isthmus. Once in this country, head to its capital. To the west of this city is a body of water/waterway that is not oceanic, yet it connects two large bodies of salt water; the pit stop for this leg is a boat anchored in this waterway. To answer this question, you must identify this waterway, the year in which this waterway was completed, the city and country in which you are located, and the name of the single highway that connects Checkpoints B and C.
    CITY:
    NAME OF HIGHWAY:
    NAME OF WATERWAY:
    YEAR OF WATERWAY’S COMPLETION:

THE LAST TEAM TO CHECK INTO THE PIT STOP MAY BE ELIMINATED.

LEG #2 STATUS:

Not Yet Begun:
    (ie, you still have to complete all checkpoints)

Checkpoint A:
    (ie, you still have to complete Checkpoint B and C)

Checkpoint B:
    (ie, you still have to complete Checkpoint C)

Checkpoint C; PIT STOP
    (ie, congratulations, you're at the pit stop! Time to relax!)
    1st) Kury Wagner & Lord Dalek
    2nd) AuroraSzalinski & Javeman
    3rd) Colin & Guinaevere
    4th) Captain Zechs & CoolSSJEnergy
    5th) Kylewayne & Outlander
    6th) daffy dork & Bearpod91
    7th) Mr Cat Dog & Kinel Ozoa
    8th) Otacon & Pupmon 4.0
    9th) PaQ & Anime Guy
    10th) MahouShoujo13 & LightShadow1890
    11th) Red Giant & Weatherman
    12th) Alex Toon & Welshie's Mate

2. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

I still think I'm at a severe disadvantage, but whatever -_-

3. Kinel Ozoa

Kinel Ozoa September 2007

That's what I'm here for, I'm not all useless after all. :D

4. Kati

Kati Chilango-Lurker

Awww! My babies! :anime:

*coughIwishtheyweresoobedient,thoughcough*

Good to see you learnt a thing or two about the mexican culture, Tim! :D (And to think you said our beer wasn't as good as yours!).

Anyway, good luck everyone!

5. Zach

Zach Active Member

This going to start?

6. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

On Monday... if you had read all the way down, you would have seen that ;)

7. TimTwoFace

Oh, Canadian beer still IS better, querida, because we don't need to add anything to it to make it good...but Corona mixed with that salt and a lime is pretty darn good, I must admit. :anime:

Take care of the teams while I'm gone, K? :)

-Tim

8. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Chilean Beer >>>>> Everything Else

9. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

I don't know about you guys, but I was drinking the finest in German imports last night.:D

10. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

Ewww, beer. I'll stick to coffee, thank you. :)

11. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

And I'll stick to Coca-Cola :D

12. Zach

Zach Active Member

I'll stick with tea. :)

13. Daffy Dork

Daffy Dork Active Member

I'lL sTiCk To WhAtEvEr I FeEeeEeEL LiKe!!>!>>!>! (Passes out from all that beer)

14. Kati

Kati Chilango-Lurker

And I'll stick to orange juice, actually. :D

Beer is only for soccer matches or parties, in my case (it makes me sleepy).

15. Pupmon 4.0

Pupmon 4.0 With more Torgo!

And I'll stick with water.:cool:

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

*COUGH*Montezuma'sRevenge!*COUGH*

17. LightShadow1890

LightShadow1890 ..needs to change her avatar.

Riiiight....

I don't actually drink...since I'm a minor anyway. I'll just stick with soda.

I hope he hurries up with the clues. I have to go out tonight.

18. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Listen to Tom Petty as well

Uh, hi, how about some patience? Tim said they'd be posted at seven, your time. So just... wait.

19. TimTwoFace

I've been here all day so I could've posted them this morning, but I want to hold to my schedule, so people can plan around it long in advance. Every Monday at 4pm (PST), unless something in my world crops up and ruins that plan.

Don't worry, only three hours to go. I just have to fine-tune the questions to make sure the wording is clear.

-Tim

20. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

I'm glad that that's PST and not EST... evening is a good time for me :)