1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing Race 2 - COMING SOON!

Discussion in 'Reality Bytes' started by Mr Cat Dog, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

As you may or may not have known, Colin posted that a new reality game entitled The Amazing Race would be coming to Reality Bytes. Well, without further ado: Here it is!

[​IMG]

Many people will fondly remember that this was an old game ran by moderator TimTwoFace, but, unfortunately, the game took a turn and was left unfinished. This is the chance for those people to test their mettle, and for newcomers to come along and enjoy the ride!

To suceed in this reality game, which is nothing like The Mole, Survivor or Big Brother, you need knowledge of: geography, history, English & foreign languges, mathematics, biology, cinema and even cartoons (this is a forum dedicated to them, after all). Or, you could just use a search engine if you don't know the answers.

THIS IS NOT A SIGN UP SHEET! I need a rough measure of people who would be interested in playing the game (I'm hoping for about 20 people. More would be great, but less would mean making the game shorter).

Everything will be explained in time, but if you're desperate to know stuff about the game:

Feel free to make queries in this thread
    Have a look at the rules from the original TAR game (bear in mind, I'm trying to make this version a lot more realistic to the actual show, so Tim's version will only go so far in explaining things)
    Look up TAR on Wikipedia
    Or (the most important one): Watch the show! CBS 9p/8c Sunday to see how the game works

I aim to have the game ready by January, and if 20 people sign up, I've prepared half of the game (this isn't something you can just do on a whim).

The world is waiting for you! Feel free to query, ask questions, get excited! I know I am!

2. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

Interested?

Indeed I am.

3. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager Active Member

I'm interested in joining in.

4. Viper

Viper I'll Never Forget You Two!

I'm interested in joining in too. I love this show, so why not? It should be fun.:)

5. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

I'd be interested

6. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

Well, we have 4 people... that's certainly a start.

But seriously, people, if you do have a genuine interest (NOT A COMMITMENT or anything). I would be appreciative if you did post your interest in this thread. I need to be sure that there is a willing number of people wanting to take part. If I don't get a reasonable number, then unfortunately, the game won't go ahead at all.

So, ADVERTISE! :)

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I'd deffinetly be interested at trying this again.

8. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

Sure, why not!

9. Pupmon 4.0

Pupmon 4.0 With more Torgo!

I would not mind participating for a second time, although, I would need a hard working partner.

10. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

Well, now that we have a few more peope interested, I'll explain a bit more about the game: it's similarities to Tim's game and the TV show, and its differences:

The Amazing Race is a team game, so to take part, you will need to be with a partner. This is to keep it in tone with the show, which has teams of 2 as well.
    With your partner, you'll race around the world (albeit virtually, and without leaving your monitor or chair... hopefully), solving clues. These clues will require a fair amount of skill, knowledge, and help from a search engine.
    The game itself is divided up into LEGS, and each leg has CHECKPOINTS and ends with a PIT STOP. Each week, there'll be one leg to complete. If enough people sign up, I hope to do 12 legs in this game
    The last team of 2 to arrive at the pit stop in each leg - for the most part - will be ELIMINATED, and not be allowed to continue in the game. (There will be certain times where this will not apply, but I'll explain later.

That is the basic premise of the game. At the end, the team that checks in 1st at the final leg will win The Amazing Race 2.

Also, to help me a lot, I would appreciate if people found their own partners to work with. This is a game where teamwork and time are very very important, so you need to do it with someone you believe you will get on with, and are on the computer with at the same time - BOTH team members will be required to perform tasks, so it's no use on leaving all the burdens on 1 member.

When thinking about partners, it's helpful to choose someone in the same time-zone as you, and to think about their commitments. Hopefully the game will be starting in January or February, so will take up time in the school year, and people have their own lives outside TZ and the Internet.

---

I hope I haven't droned on and on... so basically, if you're interested, could you please tell me the name of your partner that's willing to participate. Thanks!

11. Viper

Viper I'll Never Forget You Two!

After reading the rules, I'm afraid I would not be able to participate in this. The only person I know of that lives in the same time zone as me would be GuinaverE. Unfortunately, she has very little time to be on the internet these days.:sad:

Therefore, I must decline from being in this game. It would've been fun.:sad:

12. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager Active Member

Actaually, there's plenty of people on TZ that live in the Eastern Time Zone.

13. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

The time zone thing is only really for team-mates separated across countries. For example, when I was playing this last year, my team mate lived in the US, and I live in the UK, so it was hard to communicate and do as well as we could have done because of the 5 hour gap.

So, don't take everything I say literally. If you want to do it with someone from Australia, I'll have no problems with it, but you may be at a disadvantage in terms of communicative strategy and all that.

14. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

is it to late to join

15. Colin

Colin Oh... this is not good.
    Staff Member Administrator

Nope! Sign ups haven't even happened yet!

16. Mr Cat Dog

Mr Cat Dog Bite me

Yeah, sign-ups won't be happening until at least the end of January, if not early February.