1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The 53rd Grammy Awards" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by The Penguin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The way I see it is if you like Biebs, cool. Don't like Biebs, still fine. But I think it's weird when people in their twenties and up really rag on the kid like if we're still kids in grade school. I did the same thing back in the day with Nsync and the Backstreet Boys because we were all just kids and kids say dumb things. But I don't do it anymore because it's embarrassing. Is it really hard to just turn the other cheek and ignore?

2. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

Where's Michael Jackson? Unless you don't think highly of him.

You left out Keisha.:p

I'm sort of reminded of this gem from Abe Simpson:
    Not that we all followed or liked something because it was "it", but sometimes thats the way some things look when something like yesterdays generation looks at today's generation; and so on.

But I think this quote applies better:

That above Simpsons quote to me sums up what happens when people/award shows/etc. worship the almighty dollar. It turns them into a joke instead of something that used to be prestigious. Now nobody really cares deep down. Well except Stephen Colbert.:D

#82 Nygma, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  3. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And Frank Zappa. And Simon & Garfunkel. And Black Sabbath. And CCR. And Marvin Gaye. And Elton John, The Velvet Underground, Aretha Franklin, Iron Maiden, Sonic Youth, Prince, R.E.M., Ray Charles, Van Halen, Miles Davis, The Clash, Pixies, Run-D.M.C., The Police, Thin Lizzy, Neil Young, Faith No More, The Beach Boys, Joy Division, Talking Heads, The Replacements, Judas Priest, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Big Star, Public Enemy, Blue Cheer, Tom Petty, Dead Kennedys and so on.

A bunch of great artists he could have mentioned that changed the landscape of the industry, but didn't, and that's fine. Again, it's not like we're out of good musicians today either, and some of these are still making solid material today as well.

4. DaffyDonaldQW93

5. GregX

GregX Active Member

Exactly, I don't need to write a laundry list of every musician I enjoy.

As for the original question, yes, Michael Jackson had a huge impact on the industry. But no, I do not like his music. It was not my thing.

And, since it was slightly on topic, for all our amusement:

[​IMG]

6. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

He never looked like "troubled child" when I first saw a clip of him on CSI. Seeing his character get killed off while watching last night's new episode of The Soup really took me by surprise. I know that some of the fans didn't want him to depart the show but hey, his episodes are now part of his growing resume. He might surprise us as he continues to get involved in more films and TV shows.

Some of us might be split about him, but hey, he's living out his dream and we all want to live out our dreams. Why hate but appreciate?

7. GregX

GregX Active Member

In my case it is because he is not an artist, he is a manufactured product. I am not at all a Lady Gaga fan, but she is an artist and I won't take that away from her. But people like Bieber and Nickelback are nothing more than manufactured products.

8. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

That may be true but we can't deny the fact that all of the musical acts mentioned in your comment have their share of fans. Plus, there's the fact that some will come and go while others will appreciate their music even if their popularity isn't the same as it was when they were first introduced in the music industry.

9. GregX

GregX Active Member

I don't deny that. There has never been a shortage of tasteless people. And every era has them. Gods, I remember when the New Kids on the Block made me want to fall into a bucket of AIDS and crack my head open.

10. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

No. Nickleback is real. Terrifyingly real.

You do know how the Biebs got his start, right? He wasn't created in a lab somewhere by Maurice Starr, he just got out there and started teaching himself music and doing it for himself on Youtube and that got him discovered and signed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csymVmm1xTw

Besides, people who start off as manufactured products can eventually become real artists in their own right. Look at Michael Jackson or Hank Williams Jr., they were practically forced onto the stage, but eventually they began making very individual music.

I was surprised to see him on CSI again. Thought they might be making him a recurring character. I wasn't really watching that episode that night, so I didn't see they had killed him off.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

What is that from? It's driving me nuts!

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It's from last week's CSI.