1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The 53rd Grammy Awards" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by The Penguin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I agree with this statement.

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Eh... nobody complained when No Cars Go showed up in promos for football. :p

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

4. GregX

GregX Active Member

Justin Bieber had no business even being in the room, let alone nominated. What an obnoxious, untalented little snot.

Well, you little snot, why don't you do your generation and everyone else's a favor and take yourself out early the same way he did.

Do you know what the best part of the Grammys was? Mick Jagger. There he is, seventy years old, and he was terrific. He was talented, he was elegant, he was still every bit the showman he ever was. And all those so called "young talent" sitting in the room, they will never be like him. They will never even be in the same league as him. They are not fit to shine his shoes. And while I enjoy Arcade Fire, no, they're not Jagger either. Nor will they ever be him.

Really enjoyed Bob Dylan also. That man, like Jagger, is still every bit as talented as he ever was.

I look at this, and I ask, where did all the great musicians go? Where are all our Deep Purples, and our Beatles, our Rolling Stones, Creams, Led Zeppelins, Pink Floyds, The Doors, Jefferson's Airplanes, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Eric Clapton?

Nope, all we have now is crap like Nickelback, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, and Justin Bieber.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Man, stop trying to be cool by hating on the Biebs. That's such a mainstream/lamestream Hot Topic attitude. He may be a bubble gum pop creation who they write horrible songs for, but he has talent. He could make something of himself one day.

6. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We may never get a great range of artists like this filling up the charts like these again, but we're not without greats today.

Case in point, John Darnielle.

7. GregX

GregX Active Member

Actually, I'm just speaking my mind about the little turd. I'm not trying to be cool. Believe me, the day I try to be cool is the day I start saying what I think others want to hear. I've never been cool before, and I don't care to start now. ;)

8. Shawn Hopkins

The Biebs sucks! The Biebs should put a gun in his mouth and blow his brains out! That is what others want to hear. Mostly middle school boys. Bashing the Biebs is a national sport. It's lame and it's cliched.

9. GregX

GregX Active Member

Well, good for them. I speak only for myself.

10. Shawn Hopkins

This is just buying into baby boomer narcissism. They've convinced themselves that they were the only important people who ever lived and, since they now the control the culture and the media, they've convinced us too. As younger generations we've got to break free from their brainwashing and value our own time instead of worshipping moldy, geriatric rock songs.

11. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Otherwise known as classics. You do know that the Bob Dylan's and the Eric Clapton's are the reason most if not all of the music that is around today exists? I don't agree 100 percent with GregX that all modern music is crap(although most of the mainstream top 40 stuff is rather un-listenable), but you can't tell me that Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are just moldy, crappy old rock bands that we've been brainwashed into liking, when these bands influenced pretty much everyone that came after them.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Whose classics? Not my generation's classics, man.

And like those guys weren't influenced by those that went before them themselves. Like they were so great and exceptional that they were out of time, that they made all that up on their own. Bunk. No, influences are great, but boomer pride has made us hold on to the old too long. I say out with it! Time for something new.

13. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Y'know there'd be no Bob Dylan if there was no Pete Seeger... someone who I like and respect a hell of a lot more.

Also, Bob Dylan should retire. He never really had a voice to begin with, but on the Grammys the other night? My God, that was terrible.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or maybe because they are that good?

Look, there are plenty of good acts from today. I even mentioned one of my favorites in my previous post, but saying something like that is absurd. Even today's current artists still take influence from Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath, and whatnot.

15. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Never said they weren't, nor that Dylan or The Beatles made it all up on their own. But you don't see me dismissing all the music that came before them, do you?

16. Shawn Hopkins

Good man. This is dead on.

I'm not dismissing them at all. I'm just saying that the attitude that GregX (and Homer Simpson) espouse:

Homer: "Why do you need new bands? Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."

The attitude that they are the holy of holies and no one will ever match them, that rock sucks now because it's different than then, is just baby boomer vanity. They were good but they weren't the end of music.

17. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

A little harsh don't you think? Yes, his lyrics are terrible and the songs are silly in general but at the very least he has a decent singing voice. The best? No, but in this industry you don't necessarily have to be the best. He can also dance fairly well and seems to be pretty humble about all that has happened to him. Please don't confuse this as me being a Bieber fan, because I'm not, I simply just don't understand all the hate that he gets (especially when most of it seems unwarranted).

18. Shawn Hopkins

He actually seems to have a decent sense of humor about himself. Look up the Bieber or Die videos he did for Funny or Die. They definitely show a level of self-awareness and willingness to engage in self-deprecating humor you don't get in, say, a Miley Cyrus. Or even most adult stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimrmMlD5Tk

So, I still hate his music. But I don't want him to paint the walls with his brains.

#78 Shawn Hopkins, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  19. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I watch the Grammys for the performances, not the awards. The best artists rarely win, and half the time the best artists aren't even nominated. I could drop several albums better than all of the albums nominated for AOTY. As much as I love Eminem, there were at least 5-6 rap albums better in 2010. I don't listen to Arcade Fire nor their genre so I can't honestly give an opinion on them, but my point is the best songs/artists/albums are more times than not robbed which is why I don't take the Grammies, or any music awards show for that matter, seriously.

20. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

I would have to agree with Nick Hobbs here.

I actually do like a Bieber song, "Somebody to Love". It's not repetitive like "Baby" is, is really catchy, and is basically a perfectly-crafted pop song.

I'm not a fan, but I find myself defending him a lot more now that I've actually listened to his music.