The 20th Aniversary of Windows 3.1 - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by TheFZAtUGSOnline, Apr 15, 2012.

1. TheFZAtUGSOnline

TheFZAtUGSOnline Galactic Guardian since 2010

On April 12 (sorry for the delay...) 2012, the computer industry marked the 20th anniversary of the widely-successful and game-changing OS that is Windows Version 3.1 Built in 1992 following on the success of 3.0, this OS became the first Microsoft product that became the gold standard since they introduced MS-DOS and eventually stole market share from Apple and led to the birth of the conglomercy of PCs since then. The OS later succeded in 1995 by Windows 95 - Your thoughts on this milestone?

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I remember my family having a computer with 3.1. I remember the computer having special caddies that you had to put a CD in before you inserted in into the computer. I honestly think we still have some of those caddies laying around the house.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Ah, 3.1. Good memories. I loved playing on it at school- Oregon Trail and Midnight Rescue (a reading/mystery game for elementary school) were favorites. I think Alpha Betty was another one, though that might have been the computers other OS (we always had to answer "Do you want to run Windows?" when we turned it on, I can't remember if it was on 3.1 or IBM PS/2).

4. TheFZAtUGSOnline

TheFZAtUGSOnline Galactic Guardian since 2010

Well, obivously, i recall using Office 4.3 back in 1996 (Windows 95 was out at the time) and looking back, the simplicity of the old office is better than the graphics-overkill that is Office 2010. I still got the original diskettes for 3.1 along with Windows for Workgroups addon disk. good times... (plays Canyon.mid on my computer)

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Ah 3.1 (and by proxy 3.11), the good ol days. Reminds me of my old AST Advantage 386SX. and failing at King's Quest V with it.

6. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

Good gravy, has it really been twenty years? I feel so old! XD