The 2000's Hate Really Needs To Stop

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Zelek

Zelek Member

When it comes to animation, 2000-2006 was great but 2006-2009 was a broken down wreck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

The second half of the 00s could have been a little conflicting but still not bad. Again good shows did air like Avatar and Samurai Jack who would ever hate those shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zelek

Zelek Member

Samurai Jack premiered in 2001 and Avatar premiered in 2005. Before the dark age began.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

That's partly why I stopped watching him on DeviantArt. I respect his opinions but his fans, though.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

If the hate has already stopped then why does it really need to stop?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Robin Miller

Robin Miller New Member

I Don't Think So

7. JPReckless2444

JPReckless2444 [reckless]

but.... I... like... Kick Buttowski...

Seriously, I think it's that nostalgic blind hate. There were some bad shows in that era, but a lot of good ones as well. I don't get it...

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

As someone who actually likes Mighty Magiswords, Sanjay & Craig, Penn Zero, and others (THERE, I said it!) - others that aren't as popular as whatever's talked about too much around here (e.g.: what's popular, therefore overprotected from actual valid critiques that need to exist for everything.)... Yeah.

I have to agree with @JPReckless2444 on one thing at least (only because I don't like Kick Buttowdki like you otherwise do, and I respect that.) - this is starting to reek of blind nostalgia, as well as pandering to 4chan/8chan/Reddit/etc. when it comes to modern "fans" shoveling their crap opinions in everyone's faces like they're facts. Pretty pathetic thing to do, honestly.

• Like Like x 1
    #68 I.R. Shokew, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I like those shows as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chunkychief09

chunkychief09 Future animation scrub

2000s cartoons were not as good as the 90s but were still okay (way better than the 70s). If you recall the statement on what drove me to Toonzone [and animation] I said things about My Life as a Teenage Robot being a great show! Yeah there were some good shows like that, Campl Lazlo, EEnE, KND, etc.
    Also the 2000s was the starting point of animation made with Macromedia (Adobe) Flash, like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi.

Yeah there were some dud shows like Squirrel Boy (show was okay to me) and Da Boom Crew like what TheMysteriousMrEnter said on YouTube. And yeah I watch his channel, most of his vids are reasonable such as his reviews on modern Spongebob (A Pal for Gary, One Coarse Meal, etc.). And going to be honest, I haven't even seen Da Boom Crew so I can't give off my bias. And we all know that Cartoon Network in the late 2000s almost died due to MTV syndrome where they hardly showed animation but showed terrible live-action shows. (I guess that's one of the reasons why people are hating 2000s animation - lack of effort and/or creativity?)

I'm going to say that animation in the 2000s were in the middle between the 70s and 90s. (I'm pushing more for the 90s side on that level).

For those who hate animation in the 2000s, I get your point, it could be of your age at the time, but not sure. Hell, there will be or are people talking smack about 2010s animation. But Loud House, Star vs FOE, Dan Vs., MLP: FIM, Rick and Morty, etc. are good shows [and have good fanbases]. It's just some of those shows that miss the bulls-eye on the target (Pickle and Peanut, Almost Naked Animals, Breadwinners, Sanjay and Craig, etc.)

I don't have much to say...
    I hope everything here made sense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Even though I don't completely agree with you on those certain fanbases of popular shows you mentioned, what you're saying makes some damn good sense.

More than anything, I just wish people (like myself) didn't get picked on so much & so easily for liking something different from what's popular (e.g.: my examples of unpopular shows I actually find decent-to-awesome enough...), or having negative opinions of those popular shows, honestly. Well, as long as those expressing such actions aren't jerks about it (which I hope I'm not coming off as here, myself, for example), of course.

What I mean by that last paragraph? I wish people didn't insult other peoples views or tastes for being different from what the crowds defending the popular stuff think, but THIS IS the internet, and that can't be ultimately helped, as lovely as it would be to see dialed back royally. At least IMHO.

Other than that, I'll admit that this is one of the better comments to come out of this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #71 I.R. Shokew, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  12. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I'm actually going to say the 60's was the worst era for animation!

Here's why:

Yeah the 80's was mostly toyetic shows like G.I Joe & Transformers but those were good shows

The 90's gave us MANY widely-acclaimed shows such as Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Ren & stimpy, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the cowardly Dog, SpongeBob, shows based on Disney movies from their renaissance era, etc

(this doesn't even include all the popular anime series like Naruto, Dragon ball, Pokémon, Yu-gi-oh, Bleach, One Piece, etc)

The 2000's has given us shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, The Loud House, Fairly Odd Parents, Gravity Falls, House of Mouse, The Proud Family, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, etc

Not to mention anime like Attack on Titan (which I can't stand!), Tokyo Ghoul, Sword Art Online,etc

All the 60's gave us was Hanna-Barbera crap like Scooby-Doo & The Flintstones!

The 60's is DEFINITELY without-a-doubt the worst era of animation!

• Like Like x 1
    #72 Mikurotoro92, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The 60s had Walt Disney shorts, Looney Tunes, The Sword in the Stone, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, etc.

The decade after that was the one where Hanna-Barbera took over completely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Yeah, right. It's almost universally agreed that the Seventies is considered to be the worst era, not the Sixties.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. chunkychief09

chunkychief09 Future animation scrub

Great post but you didn't say anything about the 70s.

I think most animated shows from the 70s had a direct relation with outer space...

Stupid question but what is the exact problem with 70s animations again?

16. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

Flintstones and Scooby-Doo are not "crap" and they are definitely not "all that the 60's gave us". In any case, you do know that cartoons made specifically for television was basically a new thing in the 50s and 60s, right? I think they deserve at least a little bit of slack for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

And that's not even getting into the major influence the Flintstones wound up having on the industry.

It's also worth noting that most TV cartoons that came out of the 60s were compilation shorts, like Yogi Bear, Secret Squirrel, or Rocky and Bullwinkle, essentially following the same basic format that the theatrical shorts would (though some like R&B did mix things up, like focusing much more on the writing and dividing certain stories into multiple parts). Heck, the Looney Tunes cartoons were put on ABC that same time and clearly enjoyed massive success there.

So yeah, I'd say the 60s was a decent time for animation when you consider all this. It had a sense of experimentation that wasn't as prevalent in other decades.

• Winner Winner x 2
    #77 Toon4Thought, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  18. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh you do know most of those shows (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Loud House, Gravity Falls, My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic) are 2010's, not the 2000's right? It was made pretty clear there is a difference between the two decades and that's one of the main arguments and points of this thread right because yeah your argument already falls apart there man if it hadn't before.

Especially since there are still a lot of people who are fans of Scooby Doo and the Flintstones even now and can still watch those shows and enjoy them. Plus even if you don't like them and don't like talking about how influential and important those shows are... you do realize we're talking about those shows and animation to it's era when it came out right? I mean a lot of people really hate the original GI Joe and Transformers for being "overglorified toy commercials" but there was a reason the shows were like that and was just the way animation was back then which was still better then it was before. And seriously the 60's were also again about other well known and popular Hanna Barbera characters and series and about actually establishing full length TV series and the last remain of theatrical run animation which means there was still solid programming in that era even if you didn't like those two shows. There were no real programs in the 70's (with really rare exceptions) that came on that were better then show's in the 60's and the ones in the 70's had more regulation or were more just glorified spinoffs or cash ins no one likes or looks back really fondly on other then to mock so yeah that's why it's the worst decade of animation: It's worse then the one that came before it without offering really anything that new or fresh worth discussing with only a few exceptions. Also...

Yeah that's a stupid question because it's already one that was ANSWERED ON THIS THREAD. Seriously go back to page 2 here

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/the-2000s-hate-really-needs-to-stop.5592121/page-2

Where I go more in depth on the 70's failures and explain why it was the worst. No offense but really you really should only climb onto a discussion thread like this if you've actually previously read all the other posts, so you aren't asking questions or making points someone else already made if you don't have anything new to actually contribute.

19. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I still think of Scooby Doo as a 70's cartoon. Okay, yeah, it started in 1969, but it started the "groovy teenage gang having adventures" line of cartoons that were everywhere in the 70's.

When I think of 60's cartoons, I think of Top Cat and Yogi Bear and Rocky and Bullwinkle. None of which I liked. So yeah, it's another reason why I prefer 70's cartoons...

20. Toon-Sama

Toon-Sama New Member

Yeah the 2000's had a lot of good cartoons such as Samurai Jack, Duck Dodgers, Invader Zim, Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, Kim Possible, Proud Family, Weekenders,Lloyd in Space, Megas XLR, Batman Brave and the Bold, American Dad,Star Wars 2008, original Ben 10, Avatar TLA, Justice League, Static Shock,Spectacular Spiderman and also Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd and Eddy (which are technically 2000's even though they started in the very late 90's because the majority of their episodes aired in the 2000s). I can understand where some of the hate comes from though. The 90's was a double edge sword in that it allowed for a huge amount and variety of cartoons because the local American networks had to compete with new cable networks like Cartoon Network and Nick for ratings. The cable networks won the war and the local American networks started to phase out their Saturday morning cartoon blocks that started since the 60's in the 2000's. Thus the 2000's wasn't at the same level as the 90's and by the mid to late 2000's the cable networks like Disney, Nick started to focus more on pre teen and teen live action shows. Even Cartoon Network which was supposed to be an all cartoon channel wanted to get into live action with CN Real. By the mid to late 2000's say around 2007 Nick was a shell of it's former self when it came to cartoons. During that year Avatar TLA , Chalkzone, Danny Phantom would have been the only ongoing Nicktoons worth watching. 2007 in general was a bad year for new cartoons. Just by looking at the list the only new cartoon releases (excluding anime) worth watching for me at that time were Storm Hawks, Superjail and Codemonkeys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_television_series_of_2007

The 60's was an essential period because it helped diversify cartoons. Cartoons from the Golden Age were mainly just slapstick, musical stuff but the 60's introduced the first animated sitcom the Flintstones which would influence other animated sitcoms like Family Guy and the Simpsons. Action cartoons were also born in the 60's with cartoons such as Jonny Quest, Herculoids, Birdman, Space Ghost, Mobydick and Mighty Mightor etc.

The 70's was not as terrible for cartoons as people are making it out to be and I'm not saying that out of nostalgia since I wasn't even born as yet in that decade. I mean yeah the 70's had too much celebrity based cartoons, Hana Barbera spin offs and Scooby Doo "clones" but it also had Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, Jana of the Jungle, Tarzan Lord of the Jungle, Star Trek the animated series, Flash Gordon animated series, Jeannie and Space Sentinels. Space Sentinels actually had morally grey and interesting villains like Anubis being an alien that came to earth to give humans advanced technology, a captain sending mutant sea creatures to attack oil rigs in order to stop humans from polluting the ocean etc. It also had a really nice soundtrack . Also not all the Scooby "clones" were exactly like Scooby Doo Where are you and inferior to it. Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids to me are better than Scooby Doo Where are you. I like how Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels is faster paced than Scooby Doo since there isn't a lot of time devoted to setting up traps since Cavey with his powers can defeat the villain himself and I like Cavey better than cowardly Scooby. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kids had the characters be a teenage band that is actually made up of secret agents which to me is the best cover. I like the dog in it better than Scooby since he is more like Muttley(with a similar laugh) than Scooby. I also like how both shows don't have the villains dress up in costumes to try and scare people . When you are a kid the costumes in Scooby Doo could scare you but as a teen or an adult they just seem laughable. Lastly the 90's and the Golden Age were a lot better than the 70's but the 70's had certain small advantages over them in some areas. Like how the 70's didn't have any gross out shows like Mega Babies and the Brothers Grunt since Ren and Stimpy didn't exist in the 70's to kick off the trend and the 70's had way better racial minority characters than the racist caricature characters during the Golden Age like the ones from the censored 11 etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #80 Toon-Sama, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017