The 2000's Hate Really Needs To Stop

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dell Boy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Banned

This decade gets way to much crap than it really deserves (especially 2006 to 2009), people like TheMysteriousMrEnter and his fans have bashed on this decade for having bad shows such as Squirrel Boy, Da Boom Crew, Out of Jimmy's Head and more. Whilst yes there were some really bad shows but on the other hand there were a lot of good shows such as; As Told By Ginger, Samurai Jack, Kim Possible, Justice League,/Unlimited, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Xiaolin Showdown, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Phineas and Ferb, Spectacular Spiderman, Batman: The Brave and The Bold, Chowder, Wolverine and The X-Men, Ben 10, The Mighty B! and even leftovers from the 90s (most of which are really 00 shows) such as Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage The Cowardly Dog and The Powerpuff Girls. And you know what I'd say that the early 00's (2000-05) is defintely the best time in TV animation history, for having a lot of high quality shows (Samurai Jack, Avatar and Justice League/Unlimited are my three favourite cartoons of all time) and while yes there were bad shows, they aren't as bad as Teen Titans Go, Breadwinners and Problem Solverz, and that's not say that they aren't good shows on today, I do like Steven Universe, Gumball and even though I said it was overrated I do like The Loud House.

What I'm trying to get is that every era is going to have a crop of good shows and a crop of bad shows, no shows, people really need to start looking at the good and stop looking at the bad, you need to be more open mined since it's not gonna you look like a good critic. I'm sure members like @SmileyToonatic @NewYorkEagle and @Red Arrow :D will back me up on this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    #1 Dell Boy, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

People who were in high school during the 2000's don't like that era simply because they were in high school and teenagers more often than not don't like new cartoons targeted at children.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #2 Red Arrow :D, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I meant 2000's, obviously. Thanks for correcting me.

4. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

As someone who grew up with shows like Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, etc., I feel your pain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

In other words, 90's kids grew up and discovered they didn't care for the cartoons of the 00's? Happens to every generation...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see too much 2000's hate anymore. It has been long enough for kids who grew up in that era are old enough to have nostalgia. Every generation has its own thing.
    I was in middle/high school during the 2000's and there are still plenty of shows from that era that I think are great.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

Of course, there were a lot of amazing shows in the 2000s; Teenage Robot, Invader Zim, SpongeBob, As Told by Ginger, Fairly OddParents, the original Teen Titans, Avatar, Powerpuff Girls, etc. The main reason people pile on the 2000s is because, to put it frankly, a lot of less than stellar decisions were being made, many of them having little to do with the quality of the shows themselves.

CN tried CN Real, Disney Channel almost completely abandoned cartoons except for Phineas and Ferb, and Nickelodeon cancelled many popular shows. Also, Saturday morning was in decline, as blocks became dumping grounds for cheap shows that virtually no one liked before being phased out in favor of the Litton edutainment empire. Social attitudes changed; research showed that kids wanted more live action shows at the time, the reality show craze (or plague depending on how you look at it) took over the broadcast and cable networks at the time, and network executives were mostly clueless that an adult audience for cartoons other than Family Guy even existed. A majority of the dislike, I believe, comes from the people who saw the decline of the Saturday morning cartoons more than the good ones on cable.

In every decade, there's bad, there's good, and there's clear trends. The bad is never enough to wipe out the good, and the trends are there to learn from.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #7 Gear3dGryph0n, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

If any decade that should get hate, it's the 1970s. It was the worst decade in animation history, and that's fact.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Agreed, at least the 60's had creativity!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

To be honest the hate does come from somewhere and I understand that reaction, but I don't really think the hate is that big for the decade, at least from what I have seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I wasn't a fan of most stuff that came out of the late 2000's, but that's because most shows around that time did nothing for me to entertain, or worse, just made me angry - then again, I was into anime more than I'd like to admit, so that had something to do with it. Thankfully, the current era has provided me with a lot more stuff to watch from the West (and sometimes Europe and Canada), so it's not all bad (then again, I'm not into anime anymore, so I know not everything is right with the world for me, regarding this...).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, I took most action stuff and little comedy. I enjoyed MegasXLR, Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, Avatar: the Last Airbender (which I got into kinda late), and Brave & Bold (best of that decade imho).

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mqg96

mqg96 Member

I was in elementary school throughout the early to mid 2000's and I didn't like any of the late 2005-2009 cartoons that premiered except for a few like Ben 10, Total Drama Island, or Phineas & Ferb, even as a kid before I started getting on the internet. Most of the cartoons that premiered from 2000-early 2005 were great. The thing is, as a kid growing up in the 2000's I got to experience cartoons that were reruns from 90's and new episodes from the 2000's since Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Toon Disney/Jetix aired a lot of those at the time.

14. wonderfly

Eh, how bad the 70's were is overblown. That was arguably the high point in Saturday morning cartoons. Yes, it was almost all Hanna-Barbera stuff, and there were only 3 channels, but the kids of the decade loved it, especially the last half of the 70's ('75 to '79).

Yes, "Saturday Morning cartoons" started in the '60s, but that was all recycled Looney Tunes theatrical shorts from the 40's/50's, and "Rocky and Bullwinkle", and the early Hanna-Barbera stuff like "Yogi Bear" and "Huckleberry Hound", which is weak stuff. I consider 1969 the start of REAL Saturday mornings (with Scooby Doo premiering that year).

So the 70's was the decade of the true rise of Saturday morning cartoons, and the 80's was the decade of the rise of weekday afternoon cartoons.

Just my counter opinion, I know it' s not the prevailing wisdom.

• Like Like x 3
    #14 wonderfly, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  15. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

So basically the animated equivalent of the Dark Age of Comic Books, in which the Nineties wasn't a good decade for the comic book industry?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wonderfly

LOL, but for many people the 90's were a GREAT decade for comic books. Yeah, there were too many crossover events and "hologram covers", but comic fans ate up stuff like "the Death of Superman" and "Maximum Carnage".

I know we're going off topic here, but this is fun...

17. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Maybe I should start a new thread on this.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

18. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Just because the 70's was a great time for Saturday morning cartoon blocks didn't mean the cartoons itself were good. A lot of those cartoons from the 70's have aged the worst. Even though Saturday Morning cartoon blocks didn't exist from the 30's-50's I'd take old cartoons from that period any day over the 70's. School House Rock, classic Scooby-Doo, and Super Friends are the only decent cartoons from the 70's I can think of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

It's due to the "The new shows aren't as good as the old ones!" train of thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I know a lot of people also really liked Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.

• Agree Agree x 2