1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 10 best cartoon series ever!!!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Hulk, Jun 5, 2004.

1. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 Active Member

1. Tokyo Pig - Quite possibly one of the most brilliant shows of all time, this short lived ABC Family dub was just that...brilliant. Amazing voice acting, tons of breaking-the-fourth wall moments and just incredibly inspired silliness made each episode a laugh riot. ANd, hey, I can relate...hero wanting to control his imagination...and I'm into the weather too! :anime:

2. Pinky & The Brain - Animaiacs was great, but Pinky & The Brain took it to an entirely new level. With witty, sharp writing and quality voice acting, this was simply a great toon. Had a short prime-time run too!

3. Dave the Barbarian - No one seems to have heard of this modern-day Disney classic, the best cartoon they've made since the days of Darkwing Duck. Insane writing, crazy tangants, nifty references and quality voice acting along with a great narrator add to tons of fun upon every viewing.

4. The Tick - Absoultely crazy--and brilliant--superhero parody show! No show had quite the zaniness as the Tick, and the lack of a DVD release leaves me completely clueless.

5. Rocky & Bulliwinkle & Friends - The original pun-mania cartoon had it all--crazy writing, good tangeants, quality animation, and an amusing narrator. Simply a classic.

6. Pokemon - One of my all-time favorites, I just can't seem to outgrow this kid's anime :anime: Smooth animation, a rich fantasy setting, excellent jokes, good continiuity and some of the best voice acting around leads to a show that's always fun to watch.

7. Futurama - In my opinion, Futurama surpasses the Simpsons, but barely. This is done by the number of Star Trek and sci-fi references. Add to that good voice acting, great humor, top-notch voice acting and breathtaking animation.

8. Garfield & Friends - The recent DVD sets have reminded me how incredibly well-written this show was. The voices are perfect, and the animation is great. But, again, the writing is better than any live-action sitcom of the past 10 years (except for Frasier, of course :anime:)

9. The Simpsons - Simply great. Lots of jokes, good humor, and yet a certain good-natured, family charm to it. To me, there is no Simpsons 1 and SImpsons 2 or all of that--because the show still has the humorous writing, quality voice acting, and good fun that it's always had.

10. Looney Tunes - Immortal classics unsurpassed. Mel Blanc and the writers and animators of these were geniuses. :daffy:

Honorary Nominees:
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Yogi Bear
    Baby Blues
    Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
    Sonic X
    Kirby: Right Back at You
    Wacky Races
    Huckleberry Hound Show, The
    The Jetsons
    The Flintstones
    Animaniacs
    Freakazoid!

2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes "Gutter Calypso"

Here's my Top 20:

1. Scooby Doo Where Are You?
    2. Futurama
    3. Samurai Jack
    4. Batman: TAS
    5. Ed, Edd, and Eddy
    6. Popeye
    7. Looney Tunes
    8. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    9. Foster's Home
    10. Courage the Cowardly Dog
    11. Flintstones
    12. Ren and Stimpy
    13. Power Puff Girls
    14. Invader Zim
    15. Johnny Bravo
    16. Time Squad
    17. The Tick
    18. Talespin
    19. Darkwing Duck
    20. Animaniacs

3. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Member

:eek: OH.. Whereis-mymostbeloved-speedracershow.. oh.. it is thebestshowin-theunivers..yah..oH..butwait. UH...YesIbettermake,....a-listofstuff sothispost-wont-be-usless...oHHHHOHHHH.:eek:

1. Muppet Babies
    2. Batman TAS
    3. Looney Tunes shows
    4. Speed Racer (Racerscrashing-up, oh no!)
    5. Ducktales
    6. Thundercats
    7. Spider-man TAs
    8. Garfield and Friends
    9. Invader Zim
    10. Angry Beavers - Rocko - Spongebob - HA! - Pre movie Rugrats - Doug

4. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Hmmm. This would have to be my list. I think.
    1. Batman: TAS
    2. Samurai Jack
    3. Looney Tunes
    4. Darkwing Duck
    5. Tiny Toons
    6. Animaniacs
    7. Gargoyles
    8. The Simpsons (Seasons 1-9)
    9. Invader ZIM
    10. The Tick
    Go me. :)

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In no particular order
    1. Pokemon
    2. Danny Phantom
    3. Justce League
    4. Animaniacs
    5. War Planet/Shadow Raiders
    6. Simpsons
    7. Family Guy
    8. Teen Titans
    9. Fairly Oddparents
    10. ............I can't decide on #10. It would be either Jackie Chan Adventures; Sheep in the Big City; Spongebob Squarepants; 2nd season of Rugrats; Ed, Edd, n' Eddy; Fushigi Yugi; Superman TAS; Rocko's Modern Life; or X-Men: Evolution

6. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

1. Transformers (G1)
    2. The Simpsons
    3. JL, JLU
    4. Superfriends (Superpowers)
    5. TMNT (v1)
    6. DBZ
    7. Ducktails
    8. GI Joe
    9. Thundercats
    10. The Real Ghostbusters
    11. TMNT (v2)
    12. Heman
    13. X-men
    14. Spiderman
    15. Spiderman and his Amazing Friends
    16. Scoobydoo
    17. Flintstones
    18. Jetsons
    19. Batman/Superman TAS
    20. Fat Albert

7. Meow

Meow Feeling nostalgic

I'll just mention my top three.

Batman the Animated Series
    Family Guy
    Kim Possible

I would mention "The Simpsons" if it weren't so awful now. It used to be great.

DBZ would also be on my list if it had ended after the Freiza saga...

8. Superperson

Superperson is dead

1. Invader ZIM (so great yet so short lived, funniest dialouge ever)
    2. Doug (great stories didn't really deal with teen angst and stuff like that)
    3. The Simpsons (even though its gone down the drain the first couple seasons are still close to my heart)
    4. Rocko's Modern Life (great humour and very funny cast of all sorts of wierd characters)
    5. DuckTales (great stories, great adventure cartoon, just really good, too bad Disney doesn't make stuff like this anymore)
    6. Teen Titans (a great fresh take on superhero cartoon series, so much character and originality in this series)
    7. Family Guy (not a Simpsons clone as alot of people would beleive, very funny in a league of its own in a sense, ok its just potty humour but done well)
    8. As Told By Ginger (alot of people never watched this show, but it was really good if you gave it a chance)
    9. TaleSpin (I use to love this show when I was little, I still love it another show of when Disney use to make goos stuff)
    10. Fairly Odd Parents (I like how the humour is real random, even though its been overplayed and should have been cancelled a while ago in my opinon, but it doesn't change the first seasons from being really good.)

9. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

I hate top ten lists, but I feel like doing this anyway. I'm going to try to make a 100% objective list here, with as little personal opinion as possible:

For influence/impact:

10: Scooby Doo, Where Are You
    9: The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
    8: He-man and the Masters of the Universe
    7: The Flintstones
    6: Ren & Stimpy
    5: Tiny Toon Adventures
    4: Batman: The Animated Series
    3: South Park
    2: Astroboy
    1: The Simpsons

For writing quality/originality:

10: The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
    9: Muppet Babies
    8: Transformers
    7: Pinky and the Brain
    6: The Tick
    5: Gargoyles
    4: South Park
    3: The Simpsons
    2: Batman: the Animated Series
    1: Futurama

Well, that failed miserably. But narrowing things down to ten always does.

10. Eidan

Eidan The Pumpkin King

1) Gargoyles
    2) Batman: The Animated Series
    3) Cowboy Bebop
    4) Freakazoid!
    5) ReBoot
    6) The Simpsons
    7) Beast Wars
    8) Home Movies
    9) Batman Beyond
    10) Family Guy

11. dminor

dminor the shy observant

1. Doug
    2. Teen Titans
    3. Invader Zim
    4. The Simpsons
    5. Rocko's Modern Life
    6.Samari Jack
    7. As Told By Ginger
    8. Rocky & Bullwinkle
    9. Spongebob Squarepants
    10. Fairly Oddparents

12. Invader Z

Invader Z A Challenge: Can you beat it?

1. Megas XLR
    2. Invader Zim
    3. Homestar Runner
    4. Case Closed/Dective Conan
    5. The Simpsons (SOMETIMES! They occasionally SUCK!)
    6. Spongebob
    7. Fairly Oddparents
    8. Danny Phantom
    9. Tenchi (Any saga!)
    10. Teen Titans, Code: Lyoko (TIE!)
    I like Family Guy, but it's EXTREMELY overrated. FG, Aqua Teens, and several others made honorable mentions.

13. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

hmm, this topic is for the 10 greateset series so, objectively, i'd have to say...in no particular order

The Flinstones: they broke ground for primetime animation...if the Flintstones bombed, we may have never seen the likes of the Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy or the upcoming American Dad.

Looney Tunes/ Merry Melodies: before television animation, there was film animation. While Walt Disney was producing family films, WB aimed for an older audience, producing hilarious shorts starring Bugs, Daffy, Porky, and the LT cadre'. Adult humor stockpiled w/ wild takes, slapstick comedy, and contemporary jokes and caricatures, Looney Tunes delighted audiences during some of its most distressing times in the early 20th Century.

Tom & Jerry: their vignettes thrived off a very common theme in yesteryear's films: The Chase. And they inspired other Chase toons: Roadrunner-Coyote, Tweety-Sylvester, Ant-Aardvark, Pixie & Dixie-Jinx, Itchy-Scratchy, and many others. T&J is timeless comedy, just as hilarious today as it was in the '40s. T&J are Americana.

Scooby-Doo "Where Are You?": i can hear the mumbles and groans but you gotta face the facts, the Doo has endured over the last 4 decades. Almost everyone here loved Scooby Doo when they were growing up. It's still funny to this day. While the countless revamps may have been overkill, the original series was as good as it got. Scooby-Doo: The New Movies was like the Batman of the 70s: everyone wanted to be a guest star: Mama Cass, Tim Conway, Sonny & Cher, The Globetrotters, Batman & Robin, The Addams Family, Sandy Duncan, Don Knotts... And just like T&J, Scooby had its numerous knockoffs: Jabberjaw, Josie, Ali Baba, Speed Buggy.

The Simpsons: If the Flintstones opened the door for primetime animation, then the Simpsons kicked it down and tore it off the hinges! Who would've guessed that this little tweener sketch comedy would endure for 16+ seasons? Though many agree that the show has lost some steam, we all have to agree than no other animated series will touch the Simpsons tenure.

Futurama: Groening's other series...yet infinitely funnier than the Simpsons. Futurama's humor benefitted for the simple the fact that the show had no boundaries. In a way, Futurama may have been the first of its kind: a sci-fi sitcom. Robots, aliens, owls, jarred heads, nothing was off limits. And the show was beautifully animated by Rough Draft.

Batman: The Animated Series: BTAS gave daytime animation some balls. Timm, Dini, Burnett, Radomski, Alteiri, all the writers and directors created a series worthy of the Batman and even contributed to the comics mythos: Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze's origin, Lock-Up, to name a few. Great animation, voice acting, dialogue, original scores, drama, action, bits of comedy...BTAS proved that you could make a quality animated series and not have to dumb it down for the kids. Give kids credit, they're smarter than you think. The groundwork layed out in BTAS is still going strong w/ JLU.

Ren & Stimpy: classic comedy formula: a wiseguy and an idiot. R&S had the visual charm of old-style animation yet shocked and amused viewes w/ it's gross-out humor...a formula Nickelodeon would mimic over and over again.

Transformers G1: Ironically, the toys gave birth to the series!!! As a young boy, was there anything cooler than an object transforming into a robot??? TF has amassed a strong fanbase these last 20 yrs w/ its toyline and various programs...but when Hollywood decided to produce a live-action film, they turned to the originals: Gen 1, the greatest generation (a little brokaw for ya)

Gargoyles: BTAS gave daytime animation some teeth, Disney matched the WB w/ Gargoyles, a dark action drama about an ancient race of noble creatures on the brink of extinction, betrayed by the humans they protected a millenia ago. Like BTAS, great action, dialogue, voice acting, and pleny of intrigue w/ all the Shakesperean & int'l mythology.

honorable mentions:

Invader ZIM: not since Ren & Stimpy has a series w/ edge aired on Nickelodeon. Starring the madly incompetent Zim, he was banished to Earth on a false mission of conquering it for the Irken Empire. "Aided" by his ADD robot Gir, Zim attempts to annihilate the humans all while "blending" in at the local skool. He's challenged by Dib, a paranormal enthusiast and Earth's only resistence to Zim's schemes. Much to Dib's misfortune, nobody believes or likes him. Again, amazing computer animation, great visuals, a haunting score, and many memorable lines (like the doom song)

TMNT: while i enjoy the 2k3 series, i cannot ignore the phenomenon of the 1st series. Rivaled only by Star Wars, Transformers, and GI Joe in the action figure market, TMNT re-introduced massive marketing to the late 80s, early 90s. And besides being a cash cow, TMNT was a unique mixture of action and comedy, during a time when a series was either one or the other but not both. That said, 2K3 still kicks its ass.:D

14. Kenshin

Kenshin Member

1. Duck Dodgers
    2. Teen Titans
    3. Gundam Wing
    4. Justice League
    5. Looney Tunes
    6. Batman TAS
    7. The Simpsons (I don't like them but i have to admit it is a pretty good serise)
    8. Futurama
    9. Spider-man TAS
    10. Animaniacs

They are in no real order they are just cartoons that i think are great.

15. Mandi-chan

Mandi-chan Active Member

I'm dumb...what does 2k3 mean? I know it refers to the second cartoon series for TMNT but I don't get it.

Mine are:

1. TMNT (new toon)- excellent animation, writing, acting, everything! This shows rocks, it's the Ninja Turtles as they were ment to be!

2. TMNT (old toon)- Personally, I don't really like this cartoon that much. It's far too goofy for my tastes, and (in my opinion) ruined the image of the Ninja Turtles by turning them into pizza obssesed turtle surfers (it also had bad animation and annoying villians). But, as much as I hate to admit it, this show is what put the Turtles on the map. Apparently it was more well known than the comics it was very loosely based on, and it was the reason why they became so popular.

3. Batman Beyond-I only saw a couple of eps, but it impressed me. Very good animation, and an interesting story for Batman in the future.

4. Outlaw Star- cool series with good animation and story.

5. Futurama-This was soo much better than the Simpsons IMO!

6. Rocko's Modern Life-Funny stuff!

16. lucky

lucky Member

Well this was pretty hard to come up with a rated ten but here goes my ten.

*Sonic the Hedgehog (ABC)- Now I'm surprised that there are not many (or none) who have chosen. Why? Because my friends, THIS (IMO) is the ultimate Saturday morning cartoon. Brilliant storylines, beautiful animation, great writing, intriguing chars and interaction amongst them, romkance, comedy, action, drama, sci-fi, all in one!

*The Simpsons- Even though the last few seasons show its age, you can't deny that this is a classic.

*(Tie) TMNT(80's-90's)/Batman: The Animated Series- These were the toons that I watched when I was little, and they were amazing!

*Family Guy- The underrated classic. One reason to show that Mr. Murdoch is not running this network right.

*Futurama- See above description

*Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends- McCracken shows his better artistic talents in this series, which has more likeable and dimensional chars and better animation than his previous series.

*Cowboy Bebop- If you are an anime fan and don't like this series, there is likely something wrong with you. It's very popular and it shows why with the animation, characters and storylines.

*King of the Hill- I'm including this on the list mainly because it's more "normal" than most other series. The storylines for episodes aren't out there and the chars look almost human.

*Teen Titans- It's hard for a series outside of Japan to perform Anime-style animation and execute it the right way. But those who did TT knew what to do and pulled it off nicely.

*Animaniacs- It was funny and entertaining, and they didn't mind getting a bit educational. If it helps kids learn, go for it!

I'd list the honorable mentions, but we'd be here all night.

17. Shaggy&Daphne

Shaggy&Daphne It's show time!

The greatest animated series to ever grace a television screen is unarguably Scooby-Doo.

18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I'd argue with that.;)

19. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

2K3=2003

20. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

I would've included looney tunes/merry melodies, but I was only thinking "television series". For cartoons in general, they would have to be #1, no contest.