1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies (even if they're good, decent, so-so), picks a fight with a game reviewing icon and still has time to make movies that are 5 seconds (1 minute) long!

Disclaimer: It's important to note that his videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint. Anytime it seems like he gets a fact wrong, it's done for the sake of laughter, not because of illinformity.

In each account, the videos are in his favorite sections. His three accounts:

1. The Nostalgia Critic- http://www.youtube.com/user/thenostalgiacritic
    2. 5 second movies- http://www.youtube.com/user/fivesecondmovies
    3. Guywiththeglasses- http://www.youtube.com/user/newguywiththeglasses

As with the Angry Video Game Nerd, I'll post whenever he adds a new video to either of his sections.

Anyway, I toyed with the idea of making a talkback sooner, but thought it best to wait for him to put up more video. His recent one was a continuation of his verbal battle with the Angry Video Game Nerd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMJU_3SAjU8

#1 Antiyonder, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  2. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

I like his videos, he's cool. I'm hoping he'll take on Batman & Robin and the 1998 Godzilla movie.

3. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

The Nostalgia Critic is hilarious. I've enjoyed all of his reviews so far. I kinda see him as a cross between Angry Video Game Nerd and Tom Green. Well, the Tom Green aspect is especially because of the Harry Potter vid he did.

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Latest video (AVGN vs. TGWTG round 2) is a riot.

5. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

6. BrendaBat

BrendaBat WTF!?

I love this guy! :D

His 5-second movies are really clever and fun to watch. But whenever I need a good laugh, I re-watch his Cartoon-All Stars review. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

7. Toon Capone

Toon Capone Active Member

I liked his review of the Super Mario Bros. movie. He pretty much pointed out everything that I hated about the film and why it was terrible.

I also like his Street Fighter / Mortal Kombat reviews.

It would be nice if he reviews Double Dragon.

8. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I'm on the fence about this fellow. He makes a lot of good points, and his reviews are more or less entertaining. However, his so-called "5-second" videos irk me to no end. They aren't five seconds. Most are far, far longer than five seconds. When I watched a "5-second" video for the first time, I was incredibly disappointed that he couldn't state his case within the promised time limit.

Suffice it to say, he got off on the wrong foot with me. I do try to enjoy his material as much as possible, but that is just one of the few little irksome things that prevents me from falling head over heels in love with the man.

9. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Any word on when his next review: Pokemon: The First Movie will be coming to his Youtube page?

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

You're kidding right? Else I would have to shoot you for being clueless.

11. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Is there a possible chance the Nostalgic Critic will tackle HM and HSM?

12. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

You don't tell the Clock King something is going to take 5 seconds and then overshoot the time limit. ;)

I've seen his explanatory video where he references the fact that they're not exactly 5 seconds, and honestly I don't care that much. I still watch them, after all.

Actually, the aggressive nature of your response is something else I've noticed in a lot of his fans' YouTube comments. Most seem overly protective of the guy, to the point where they vote disparaging comments so far into the negatives they're hidden from view. I've noticed quite a few "It's not 5 seconds" comments at -20 (How does the system even allow it to GO that low? I can't thumb-down anything below -6.) and a bunch of people calling those commenters awful names.

That's only an observation of his too-loyal fanbase, which I'm not going to throw back on him. He can't be held responsible for the actions of some of his fans.

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though I'm sometimes frustrated with his lack of understanding in certain elements of the films he critiques,

He's really, really, funny.

14. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

And that's the point of his videos in the first place. He does understand what he critiques, but facts aren't always going to make a funny review. Like with Mario Bros, sure Mario's obviously the older brother who takes on a parential role, but the incest angle made for a funnier review.

15. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

In the Mario Bros. review, he seems to think that the movie invented Mario's last name being the same as his first name, when it's always been that way. That's why they're called the Super Mario Brothers. Another thing he got wrong was the reason the original red, yellow, and black Power Rangers left. I forget what reason he gave, but I thought the actual reason was a lot funnier. They asked for more money and got fired.

16. sergeant_w

sergeant_w Member

He said it was politically incorrect to have the Black Ranger played by a black man and the Yellow Ranger played by an Asian woman.

17. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Regardless, he got nothing wrong, These aren't suppose to be reviews that tell us to avoid these movies. They're satrical reviews for the purpose of laughter.

That dubbed dialogue about fornication in his Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue should make the humor aspect clear.

18. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

On incorrect facts- he also seems to ignore the fact the city in Mario Bros is called Dinohattan. Don't get me wrong, love his stuff. But it's alot like when MST3K cut a scene for time and would then mock the movie for plot holes.

19. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

That's the point of the videos. Look at the disclaimer I put up recently on the start of the thread.

20. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

See, I disagree. A cheesey movie will provide enough content to mock by itself. When you have to twist things in order to make a joke, it kind of loses its point. I could be really anal and point out how in his Cartoon All-Stars review he says the parents never find out, yet I believe at the very end the kids say they're going to tell them. The vast majority of his reviews are based on actual flaws and nitpicks with the films. Once you start creating issues that aren't there, you could just take a perfectly good movie and do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.