1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 17 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

.................................Doug... quoting the script of Star Trek III VERBATUM does not constitute good writing.

DOES.

NOT.

CONSTITUTE.

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Huh, I was not expecting Flight of the Navigator.

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Thoughts on this first part that I'm putting here due to it being as per one of my usual reviews, long and rambling

5. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Um, wow. 40 minutes and it was so well-paced... this is miles better than Suburban Knights. Miles.

Remember how SK started? With ten blisteringly long minutes introducing every single person and their costume which was so horribly paced? Doug has finally corrected those mistakes, and boy does it show. An ease to re-introducing every character instead of sticking them all in a room at one time, letting the plot flow, and really packing in the intrigue.

This special is probably going to be long, well over three hours in total length and probably justified as long as the plot remains key. Every joke, every bit was integral to the plot plus nothing overstayed their welcome, and in ADDITION the tone is much different this time around. I think the gag that went on the longest was the mind-reading Spoony gag, and even that cut off before it could get annoying.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed thus far. If there were any negatives, I'd say at some points it might take itself a little too seriously. More of the Last Angry Geek in regards to the Ma-Ti plot, and less brooding which felt a little off.

6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's a long intro - 40 minutes, woof! - but the build up is most definitely better than Suburban Knights. I like that there's still jokes, but they're sedated instead of feeling forceful or a pair of people screaming at each other on a constant basis. The drama is good with the ending especially building up the tension. Man, they even ramped up the special effects. Looking forward to Part 2.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was a pretty good intro. It was really long, but I didn't think that it dragged on at the same time. There were some funny bits here and there, but I think that they were going for just setting up the story with this part rather than throwing in a lot of jokes from the start. My favorite part was the bit with Spoony with his subconscious answers embarrassing him and then that scene later on becoming a reference to Flight of the Navigator. It's at least an interesting start and the special effects are pretty impressive.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh, they dared to make a crack at Allison's embarrassing dye job. Everybody notices it but nobody says anything.

My one McNitpick is that the Rebecca Black mention really should have been changed to "Call Me Maybe." It basically replaced Black in annoying song culture and hardly anyone remembers her now.

9. Donomark

Donomark Member

Wow, that was really really cool.

I was more sucked into to the story than in it for the jokes, because by this point Doug Walker has really stepped up as a director. I love how everything is slowly forming together, especially with the characters. The fact that Linkara, and the Science Guys (CR, Paw, Joe and Sci-Fi Guy) all have plots that don't even converge into the Critic's just yet is really cool. It gives these characters enough time to establish their roles without trying to compete with the Critic. I also love the very serious tone of the story thus far. The Critic's still the Critic, but his story is very interesting and I like how is character is developing.

On a side note, I also like how these specials keep putting the Critic and the Chick together in some form, since they are similar/yet different. They work well together and I like their dynamic.

On another note, does anybody know why Benzaie's not in this?

10. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

From the words of Rob Walker:

[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]For those doing the math, that means the series will not finish until September 13th (although the optimist in me thinks they might start releasing them quicker as time goes by), and according to Rob as well there will be no NCs as long as TBF is being released. Probably the longest NC hiatus ever, wow. (well over a month)[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I'm actually really enjoying this series so it's kind of bittersweet to not have the convenience of waiting only an extra day for the next part like Kickassia and Suburban Knights. However, it could be as bad as Breaking Bad: we could be waiting eight whole weeks to finish this thing.[/FONT]

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was kind of expecting that they would release a new video every day like I think they've done with the last two anniversary specials, but I'm okay with it. I can understand why they wouldn't want the videos to over-shadow reviews for the next eight days and the technical issues are definitely understandable. I'm also okay with a longer NC break. It might be better for Doug to have a longer break to just relax, especially with all of the work he has been doing with this film for awhile, and so that he can recharge to create more material, as his reviews have been kind of hit-or-miss for me for a long time.

12. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

13. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I don't know if I ever told anyone this, but I always did subscribe to a theory behind all the discontinuity in the yearly specials. My theory though was due to the terrible Ultimate Warrior comics bouncing through hyper time and shifting dimensions, things happened differnetly even when we didn't peak into seperate universes. So actually I'm fine with the idea of last year's battle causing a rip in the plot that lead to a whole that is the cause of the inconsistencies. (Missed an opportunity for a good joke though. Since CR did a video about the backstory of Dr. Insano he could of pointed out his theory on what happened in Kickassia and Insano just pointing out that theory was terribly flawed). I also like the idea of killing off Lame R. since he didn't seem like a villian who had much potential though I wonder if that means we'll be seeing much more of the SOPA esque guys. I assume from the trailers but maybe they'll have a new leader or something. And I also like the idea of Mechkara being onboard and not being noticed due to the whole. Though I really wonder why he would start taking over other people (as mentioned in the trailers) but eh maybe it's to find out how to use Malachite's hand or something, who really knows.

Still though this was a good part. Less obvious jokes this time around and though not as long still moved things forward. I do kind of wish it took a bit longer to get to everyone else so we could of set up more things with them but that's probably my biggest complaint. Anyway best jokes this time around were Lame R pointing out how he doesn't know how to use the internet, the doctors admitting they don't have proper degrees (which is actually a running joke with them I believe), the various cameos of other reviewers being altered (best was probably Welshy hat and Hagan eating a minon hand. Hmmm, is this the part she said she filmed months ago since really thought she'd have more then that with the semi decent role Sci-Fi Guy got), Phelous saying he was working on a cure for cancer between horror reviews (his delievery sold what could of been a stale joke about it), JO falling for the car trick since she rarely checks her mail, Sage and Snob explaining what happened to the doctors, Sad Panda distracting Insano (I don't think Critic gets Panda's really dry wit though but it still works), Marzgurl working on hanging a picture in the little montage, 8 Bit Mickey taking out the two guards and killing prick due to a short joke (and the others mentioning he's done this before) and the end with Terl meeting Zod. Glad they actually had a joke that wasn't spoiled in the trailers there even if we knew Zod would be involved. Overall solid second part. Can't wait to see why everyone's getting in costume though (since seems like Critic doesn't care about it this time) and I'm still hoping there's a mention of Phelous in the whole Todd/Lupa/Chick love triangle. Since that's needed to happen for... well almost a year at this point.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

"Nothing can stop us now!"
    "Yeeees. You would need a bizarre combination of reviewers, geeks, gamers and internet personalities to defeat us noooow."
    "And 8-Bit Mickey!"

Line of the series so far.

It's already an hour in length; we're talking the first multi-disc DVD release here. No wonder Doug said it was a "miniseries" instead of a movie. Next year let's shoot for a full 13-episode season!

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that the latest installment to Boldly Flee was pretty good. My favorite parts were the hot dog bit at the beginning, Snob and Sage explaining what happened to the doctors, Hagan eating a hand, 8-bit Mickey killing the prick for the short jokes and Terl meeting Zod. The camera work is still really good and the effects are pretty nice. Since it's already up to an hour, I could see the total run time being close to, if not over, three hours long at this rate.

16. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Well this was marginally better than the last part, it was surprising how some of the jokes were inspired like the segments with 8-bit Mickey (that cut was well-timed) and Terl's initial interaction with Zod.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How come Handsome Tom wasn't here this year aside from his cameo today I don't think we'll be seeing him since he wasn't in the credits. Wasn't expecting them to do Ghostbusters but I guess that's got a little science fiction in it.

18. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Whoo boy, I got alot of catching up to do :sad:

19. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

20. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

God, Charlie's Angels...I'm a heterosexual male, and even I thought this was exploitative, pandering garbage that was even worse by pretending it was some kind of "feminist" statement because the scantilly-clad leading ladies...um, kicked ass? It's interesting that this came out almost exactly the same time that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came out, and yet CTHD actually made more at the U.S. box office (albiet just barely) despite it's "kick-ass" heroines being dressed in a reasonable manner. I don't recall Zhang Ziyi or Michelle Yeoh being forced to strip down to their Spider-Man underoos and shake their heinies at the camera, and yet the film was still a huge hit (with subtitles, no less!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.