"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 17 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

Credit for show summaries provided by Neo Ultra Mike.

2. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Finally getting the chance to watch the ST: Generations and Insurrection reviews.

Generation starts off with a good few lines ("You're my hero." got me to laugh), but the bit with Takei's autobiography seems a bit much. Another hit and miss review? :shrug:

Aslo, Captain "Designated Hero" Janeway is not competent. Sorry, I had to get that out of the way considering all the foul-ups the U.S.S. Voyager went through because of her :sweat:

Edit: Done with the Generations review. While the first half was less than stellar, the second half had me laughing all the way through. There, the humor flowed better, and the jokes less chunky.

Though I am surprised: No cameo? Another user mentioned it would have been perfect for Spoony to show up, with Malcolm McDowell
    in this movie. Or even the Snob, considering McDowell stared his favorite movie.

It's nice to see a Star Trek review from someone just seeing as a regular viewer. Doug points a lot of the problems of the film: the subplots that went nowhere, not enough explanation, too much techno-babble, a lack of drama, and the humor poor. It was clear that the writers treated this more of an TV episode than a movie.

On a side note, my professor from college pointed out how absurd and complicated was Soran's sun destroying device:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  3. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Got done with the "Insurrection" review. While RLM's review was the funniest, and SFDebris was the most detailed, this one was still funny.

The "Missing Bollan" had me in stitches. It was so surreal. Also, it made me wondered what ever happened to the more interesting characters in Gundam 00. Seriously, the Politicians from Season 1 were far more interesting than the villains of Season 2.

Anywho, the review was just plain fun, providing a different perspective and style. It did retread some ground that the other reviews covered. However, Doug and Linkara also covered new ground. And their riffing was well executed.

Though, I find the problem with the review was that they were a bit too sketchy/nitpicky at times. Had they focused more on riffing the film, then it would have been stronger.

Overall, Star Trek months was fine. It keep me entertained, but not as much previous reviews. It would have been better if NC had done the more interesting Star Trek films, instead of just the odd numbered movies. First Contact would have been a better choice than ST 3. Doug's strengths lie with the material he uses.

4. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Unlikely Hero

Phelous reviews...Turtles Forever.

*Sigh* I am NOT looking forward to the floodgate of fans who are going to see this review, parrot his opinion, and start blacklisting this special because of it. :(

5. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

In all fairness, many people have voiced similar opinions before Phelous did this review, so it probably won't change the opinions as much as you think.

Besides, as with many reviewers, not all fans parrot the reviewers' opinions.

6. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Unlikely Hero

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just hope that a lot of people who see the review before checking out the special won't be turned off because of it. (Hopefully, they'll also check out Doug's review so they can get some input from both sides of the spectrum.)

(Hm...now that I think about it, most TGWTG fans would be more likely to check out Doug's review first anyway, so I guess I really don't have anything to worry about. I guess I was just scared that the overall reputation of a very high quality special would be soured by such a small thing.)

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Well that's the thing though: everyone's enttiled to their own opinion. And as Doug has said several times it shouldn't matter if you like or dislike something as long as you have a reason to explain your own feelings as well as where you're coming from. And in Phelous's case I guess either he's more of a fan then Doug of the original Turtles series even though he dosen't know much about the new one, or he gets annoyed at different aspects. Truthfully I really liked Turtles Forever and yeah though the voices of the 87 turtles weren't the same and the new turtles weren't razed as much as they could of been (since hey there's stuff to make fun of from the 2K3 series then just constantly saying "what the shell") I really enjoyed the crossover and thought it was a lot of fun. Then again I don't know much about the 87 turtles either then what I've seen in other reviews and a few scattered memories here or there. And I can defintley understand Phelous's reaction: some of my friends who watched the series and you know, people this board had the exact same response to how the 87 turtles were treated. And hated how they were made to be so goofy and incompetent compared to the 2K3 series and not capturing the right tone. Which I guess is kind on unfair because people like me who don't know much about the turtles will just think the 87 show was that ridicolous when it wasn't. Still I'm a stickler for crossovers and thought it was fun so I still like the special even though Phelous's review was good. Mostly for jabbing the 2K3 turtles not beng jabbed for their bad lines as well as the cameos of Phelous's verison of the special (oh and about 2K3's Shredder final plan on destroying all dimensions, I always thought that made sense. Why? Because when he watched all the different turtles universe he saw The Coming out of our shells tour, We Wish You A Turtles Christmas, The Next Mutation, TMNT Movie 3 and all the various other interprations of the turtles throughout the multiverse. Seeing one would break some people down but all at once? Yeah obviously that drove him completley insane).

Phelous isn't the only one with a new vid today though as Todd goes over the song "just a kiss" by a group I believe he really does like... or liked anyway.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/just-a-kiss-a-pop-song-review-by-toddintheshadows-5950142

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

There are probably people like that around, but I anticipate the comment section of this video to be more of a fight than that. Turtles Forever is excellent and Phelous is just angry because he's also Shredder.

So who is everybody voting for President? I know that I won't decide until I know who Phelous is voting for.

"RRRRRON PAULLLL OBVIOUSLLLYYYYY"

Edit: Oh right, he's Canadian. I guess the joke doesn't work. I'm leaving it up anyway.

9. Knightmare

Knightmare New Member

Got to say as much as I enjoy the special Phelous brings up a lot of good points. I know Peter Laird wasn't a big fan of the 87 series and especially loathed the Next Mutation series, so I guess it isn't that big a surprise the way that the old Turtles were treated that way.

10. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away...

Ooh, this will be interesting. N. Chick details her Top Ten "Hottest" Animated Guys.

EDIT: Watched it. So in conclusion, lots of us gals loved (or still love) the bad boys/woobies. ...Yeah, I'm not surprised. I went through that phrase, I know friends who went through that phrase, and I know lots of girls went through that phrase. I'm not as well drawn to the tortured, brooding characters much anymore (though there's a couple of exceptions here and there). Now I really want that nice guy!

11. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

I'm worried about the girls who chose Frollo, I really am.

12. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I know what you mean. My best friend is one of those girls, though she also appears to have a creepy old man fetish in general (she's so deep in denial about her crushes on Grima Wormtongue and Bootstrap Bill that it's not even denial anymore).

13. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 New Member

The new Nostalgia Critic is... .

But, it is still marked private. But, when it goes live, it will be here...

14. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

...given the mooning at the end, shouldn't Robin Williams' back look hairier?

Anyway, yikes. While the film isn't quite an eye-goucher, it's a big insult to the real Mr. Adams, making him out as an immature clown. Given that the film did well financially, I'm surprised the man still has his reputation intact.

Despite the immense hatred Doug has for this movie, nothing much clicked for me here, nor did this need to be 30 minutes long. Hopefully next week, which is episode #200, will be a rebound. FUN FACT: Mark from 'The Room' plays Carin's brother.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Eh can't say I agree with Astrolupine on this one...

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that the new NC review was pretty good. I remember watching most of this movie with my Dad when it was on TV quite a few years ago. I don't remember if I liked it or not though, but looking back on it and the points he brings up in the review, while it may not be a horrible movie, it really does ruin the image of the real Patch Adams by making him look much more like a goofy clown rather than a doctor.

Still, there were some really funny parts such as the clown character annoying the NC throughout the review, his reaction towards the love interest's pointing out Patch's flaws, his reaction when they stole medicine from the hospital, the NC beating the movie after he found out that the love interest was a work of fiction for the movie, and shooting the clown character before saying that he isn't a reocurring character. The review was pretty entertaining, but I don't know if I thought it was that great either.

As for NChick's recent video, most of the characters that made the list weren't too surprising for me. The only exception being Frollo of course, although that does kind of disturbs me too. I don't really find myself thinking animated characters are "sexy," but if i did, I wouldn't see a character like Frollo as one of them. The fact that the list was full of troubled/bad-boy kind of characters wasn't surprising either. Aladdin being the first pick made sense given his likable personality and he probably has one of the better designs out of Disney's male lead characters. Her reaction to Tuxedo Mask was pretty funny though. I don't know if I ever thought of the NChick trying to tackle Sailor Moon before, if only because I thought she would have been too old for a show like that by the time it first started airing. It might have been interested, but it's for the best if she doesn't have any interest in finding out more about the series. I have to admit that the final clip she used for him with his hat floating in the air for a moment was looked so silly.

Todd's new review was okay as well. I actually haven't heard this song on the radio though. The only Lady Antebellum song they play on the station I listen to is "I Need You Now." Though, I can understand his issue with the song basically being about waiting for the right time when it doesn't provide much of a reason why to wait and that there wasn't much energy put into this song like their other ones. The Jesus bit was pretty funny though.

17. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack New Member

Oh man, I've been waiting for Doug to tackle Patch Adams for a while now. I detest this movie. I remember this being one of those "critic-proof" movies that audiences ate up and were SHOCKED!!! that critics hated it. It blows my mind that anyone could honestly fall for this claptrap. Even were it not based a real person (and severely altered for dramatic licence), the film is rife with every cliche in the book that was old-hat even back in the 80's...the harrumphing, stick-up-the-butt authority figure, the Ordinary Joe with Radical Ideas, the courtroom climax. And the RELENTLESSLY schmaltzy musical score doesn't help, hammering every emotional and comic beat home with all the subtleity of a Tom & Jerry cartoon. It's a disgusting, mirthless, shameless pile of trash, and it horrifies me it made about $150 million at the box office back in the day.

18. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Thank you Doug! I saw this movie in school more times than I care to remember. It always seemed off to me, but for some reason I could never put my finger on it. Doug nailed it, and made me laugh while doing it. Best episode in a while. How could the filmmakers actually give a real person a fake love interest who is based on a real person who was murdered?:eek: You know, Roger Ebert apparently met the real Patch Adams. The first words out of Patch's mouth? "I hate that movie."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Well, my parents eat this kind of movie up, but they aren't very bright. I didn't see Patch Adams, but they did on video -- and I remember I was in the other room when the poor sheltered couple suddenly blew up at something REALLY inappropriate they saw in the movie. I always wondered what it was.

It must have been that door decoration scene that did it....and why was that a surprise? You take Robin Williams, you put him in a room full of gynecologists....what kind of cleanliness were they anticipating?

20. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Not only that, but it saved Universal from bankruptcy. The flick was literally the studio's last hope, and it scored.

While I understand Doug's hate and it is kinda... gross, thirty minutes was a bit much. That said, it easily held my attention more than Star Trek month.

Next week is the 200th... wonder what it could possibly be... hmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.