1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 16 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

I certainly hope not. :crying:

2. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they're on par, albeit for different reasons. FF tried to do a religious story and didn't tell it well.

Generations' selling point was suppose to be Kirk appearing for the first time in TNG era and teaming up with the current Captain, only for his involvement to be brief, and Kirk's death to be pretty weak, plus the aftermath barely acknowledges him. Heck, one comment I read suggests a missed opportunity by having him meet the entire crew and reacting to a Klingon among them.

3. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Loved the Takato review. But for me, the character's apex was completing his journey: from being an ordinary kid to ascending as a hero. Granted, becoming Gallantmon was when his development largely ended, but his character truly shined when he saves the girl.

4. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Star Trek: Generations really comes off as a transitional point between not just the TOS era movies but also the end of TNG as a TV series (in fact, Generations came out just mere months after the series finale of TNG). To put it in another way, it really just feels like a two-part TNG episode with a bigger budget (they tried to be clever with the lighting to cover up the fact that the old TNG Enterprise set was made for TV) and glorified cameos by Kirk, Scotty (whose appearance is kind of redundant since James Doohan had two years prior guest starred on TNG and even alluded to Kirk possibly still being alive) and Chekov. It wasn't until First Contact came out (with the new uniforms, new set design for the Enterprise and what not) that a TNG movie felt less like a glorified TV episode (which I guess, didn't happen again until Insurrection).

They really missed a huge opportunity be having a clash between Kirk and Picard's leadership styles. Instead, we get them cooking eggs, riding horses in the wilderness, etc. I would've loved to have seen Kirk on Picard's ship and Kirk meeting up with Worf (who's grandfather was Kirk and McCoy's attorney in the previous movie).

They really didn't need Kirk in this movie when you get right down to it (they already symbolically "passed the torch" to the TNG crew during Kirk's final "Captain's Log" in The Undiscovered Country). I mean, why does Picard need a 60 something year old (presumably) James T. Kirk to help him fight Soran? I mean, Picard could've gotten the strongest members of his crew (presumably Data and Worf). To be brutally honest, it's technically, Picard's fault that Kirk got killed. Picard got beaten up by Soran, didn't go further back into the Nexus in trying to stop Soran (as Doug, Confused Matthew, RedLetterMedia, SF Debris, etc. have I'm quite sure have pointed out), could've if he wanted to, and he gotten anybody much less an army with good fighting skills to help him fight Soran.

And why does arguably the greatest Starfleet captain of all time in James T. Kirk get buried under a pile of rocks (that's just adding insult to injury to go with having a bridge be dropped on him)? He should've gotten a proper funeral like Spock got at the end of The Wrath of Khan.

Doug said he wondered why Picard couldn't have just gone into the the Nexus to save his brother and nephew. Therefore, couldn't Kirk have theoretically used the Nexus to save his son David from getting killed by the Klingons? The whole Nexus concept just opens up a whole can of worms if not written with a lot of thought and care.

The whole Data gets his emotion chip subplot seemed like an excuse to get Brent Spiner to show off even if it's not beneficial to the overall plot (kind of like in Nemesis, with B-4). Not to mention serve as a plot device regarding Geordi's kidnapping (due to Data's "fear").

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If it's for the same reason Linkara's doing it, than most likely. Apparently, they're not making as much money as they used to, so they have to increase revenue with more ads.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

To be for a lot of the producers, making videos is their main source of revenue. So they are dependent on what blip gives them as you know, their monthly income. Thus why they are doing it for the most part. And to be fair Linkara has stated he's oinly doing it for his super long videos and at least Nostalgia Critic and now Spoony seem to be purposley putting in breaks that seem to say "this is where the commerical break is". I think Spoony kind of goofed on his but it's still an effort and really their videos are at least 20+ minutes so that isn't really too much to ask for an additional 30 seconds of commerical.

And yeah checking out the Ultima 8 review I have to say it was very good. Like I've said before Spoony is at his best nitpicking and getting agitated on games he really hates and this one seemed espiecally painful with all the poor jumping, the total degreation of the character (the so called hero of the world is forced to summon demon beasts and kill them in order to get back to his planet which winds up being destroyed at the end anyway) always exploding chests and a very broken system where you could just walk past or easily defeats enemies you would normally have to engage in long drawn out fights with. Also really glad how he prefaced that not only is Ultima 9 his last review but it is the reason why he decided to do the Ultima series. And really if Ultima 8 is so terribly broken makes me wonder just how bad a BETRAYAL the next game winds up being. Beisdes a bit of overexplaining at times very good review from Spoony. Hope we wind up getting more from him this year then we did the last one.

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Finally; been waitin' for this forever.

There's a big discussion about this below the Generations video on the site. The cold reality is that ad revenue is down, and people like NC and Linkara survive solely off of it, so to keep their current jobs (the vital societal function of screaming into a webcam), they have to hammer in more spots. They have no choice.

A lot of TGWTG members don't earn nearly as much, for them it's just a hobby. But for the big ones like the NC, it's a job. In fact, for the NC it's more than just one person's job -- it helps pay for the site itself.

8. Swordfish_II

Swordfish_II Active Member

Completely understandable, but still really annoying when the ad server decides to throw up so that 30 sec ad takes a minute and half to get through with all the buffering.

9. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if they weren't like... "HEY IT'S A COMMERCIAL RIGHT NOW!" it's kindof annoying.

And to be snarky with regards to them having to do it for revenue. Clearly. I mean did you see how forced that vaudeville segue was? It's like a cry of desperation from Doug in the guise of a joke.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Nostalgia Chick and Todd in the Shadows have a commentary on her Top Ten Worst Disney Sequels video:

http://blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/commentary-top-ten-worst-disney-sequels-w-todd-lindsay-5934807

I thought it was pretty interesting commentary. I'm glad that Lindsay said that Mulan II was worse than Lady and the Tramp 2 and that it should have been at number ten instead. I seriously don't think that Lady and the Tramp 2 was bad enough to have go neck and neck with Mulan II for that spot. It does have a pretty different style compared to the original movie, but I didn't think it was that bad at all. Mulan II on the other hand was just awful. I still would have put it in the top three, at the very least the top five, since it was so bad. I also agreed with Todd on how Bambi 2 should have been mentioned as one of the least awful movies. Even if it didn't land on her next top five video, I thought it was good enough to get at least an honorable mention. I also agreed with his point about the original Fox and the Hound holding up even after childhood.

There's also a commentary for the top five least awful Disney sequels:

http://blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/commentary-top-ten-least-awful-disney-sequels-w-todd-lindsay-5936404

I did enjoy hearing this commentary as well. Having a toss up between The Lion King 2 and Pocahontas 2 makes more sense and while it does have its flaws, I think she made the a good choice with picking The Lion King 2. Maybe it helps that I prefer the original Lion King over the original Pocahontas, but the sequel worked better for me with its story, the characters and the music. I still don't think I would put Return of Jafar in this list, but I agreed with her that the story is overall solid and it does continue on with the story. I wasn't that impressed with Brother Bear 2, but it wasn't one of the worst Disney sequels. Aladdin and the King of Thieves was definitely stronger than both of those movies. I still haven't seen Cinderella 3, but I really should one of these days. I'm still glad that she said how awful Mulan II. It honestly should have been somewhere on that top ten list, if only for how annoying Mushu was throughout the movie and how they acted like the first movie had never happened with Mulan suddenly being against arranged marriages, despite how she was completely willing to do that in order to bring honor to her family.

11. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

I agree. I don't mind a few commercials for free entertainment, but it's out of place when the reviewers actually reference it. It's jarring, and there are better ways to transition.

12. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Huh, you'd think Doug would scream louder at seeing that fursuiter. I know I would've.

So anyway, yeah, Insurrection is just forgettable. The plot's wonky, and while boring it's nowhere near TMP levels. I don't think it's the worst film, but yep, just a big-budget filler and that's all. Pretty good review, Linkara poking fun at his own Trekkieness is always a pleasure. So I'd rank ST Month best to worst with V, VII, IX, I, III.

And was it a success? Not really, it started off with a film too dull for material and then with a flick too decent to nitpick. Not to mention it probably scared off fans not interested in Trek altogether. It would've been better to just review V and that's it. But who am I to judge? Anyways, next week is Valentine's. Maybe a review of Heartbeeps, Mannequin or the like...

13. Juu-kuchi

Eh, this was alright. They hit off on all the major points of this movie, but it wasn't really all too spectacular. Anything they've done, Red Letter Media did better with their Insurrection review.

Also it's profoundly shocking how Doug has regressed when it came to holding back the screaming. What was initially something that annoyed the hell out of me at the beginning of his days, was then dialed back, and now is a god-awful handicap he appears to want to inflict on us now more than ever.

14. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

I liked Linkara's rant earlier in the review, and the ending between the Critic just shutting Linkara off and sending Sci-Fi Guy into a corner. Other than that I didn't like this one.

Star Trek Month was okay. His I review was better than some said it was, but III and this one fell flat. The others I thought were all right but nothing I'd put in a personal Top 11 Nostalgia Critic episodes. Now I just wonder if next week will have anything to do with Valentine's Day.

15. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Honestly, I liked this review. Could have done without the screamer opening, though. But there were a few good moments, and I actually like how the commercial break was implemented.

I'm ashamed to admit I laughed when Linkara showed up. Not sure why, but I did. And part of me hopes that some facsimile of the Blue Alien Guy becomes a 'once in a while' cameo, ala Ma-Ti or even Terl. Hehe.

Gotta say I liked Linkara pulling out the show clips to point out the continuity errors. And the footnote with 'Nemesis' was a nice way to round things off.

16. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Depends on the viewers I suppose. RLM reviewed them as a trekkie, while Doug reviewed them as more of a casual fan.

Probably because it was funny to see the Critic getting annoyed, by Linkara's geekiness.

17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Glad to see Star Trek month over. I never watched anything Star Trek related, so I couldn't really get into this. Side note: is it just me, or does that blue guy look a lot like a bald Na'vi with a lumpy head?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was a pretty funny review. I actually thought that the beginning was kind of funny, along with the NC's reaction to Linkara's use of continuity from the series. I was also glad that they made a better transition to the commercial break, their reactions to the contradictions in the conflict and how the whole slowing down time thing was never explained. As for Star Trek month as a whole, I thought it was okay, but underwhelming at the same time. The first couple of reviews were pretty dull and then the last two, while entertaining, weren't anything to write home about in my opinion. It would be interesting if he has something planned for Valentines' Day for his next review.

19. Juu-kuchi

But here's the thing, while RLM reviewed them as a trekkie he executed it in a fashion that made it easy for a casual fan or what have you fully comprehend how exceptionally lame it was. Which it some sense works better since it speaks about impact when a harder core fan is able to say why this works and get the audience's attention instead of just... casual fan to casual fan.

Besides on that review Doug more than made up for the lack of geekiness with Linkara who essentially covered what RLM already did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.