1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 16 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought she made a lot of interesting points about Takato as well. He's my favorite goggle-head leader, so I was really looking forward to hearing his retrospective. I agree that he's an average and sensitive kid and I think that's part of the reason why I like him so much. His emotions are fairly realistic for a little kid and seeing how he handles taming Guilmon and then battling against stronger Digimon made his growth feel more genuine in a sense to me. Plus, Takato being so sensitive made him really likable for me and I like that he became a stronger person through his connection with Guilmon and battling other Digimon.

I never thought that Takato's anger forcing Guilmon to digivolve was forced, although I also never noticed how drastically Takato changed from willingly risk his life to save Guilmon to forcing him to become a monster within a few episodes as well. I always saw as a combination of Takato still being in a fragile emotional state due to what he learned about Guilmon's creation before they met up again and the anger of seeing Leomon's death, but I like the theory on how Guilmon's intense anger could affect Takato as well. I'm surprised that some people count episode seven as filler since it does deepen the connection between Takato and Guilmon, as well as have the three leads team up together for the first time, so it's an important episode character-wise at least. I also definitely agree with her comment about Takato being the glue that brings and holds everyone together. I'm interested in what she has to say about the other characters as well.

2. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I think she made a mistake with Lee's analysis. She said he is the oldest of his sibling. I am very sure he is the second youngest, not the oldest. At the very least second oldest, I am sure the older sister is older than him.

Which actully makes his desire to be a grownup even more comical if you think about.

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Henry is the third child. He has two older siblings (a brother and sister respectfully).

5. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Yeah that is what I thought. She did make a mistake saying he was the oldest in the review.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I just saw the NC review for Star Trek V. I really hated that film when I saw it, so I enjoyed the review. V is possibly the worst Star Trek film, IMO, and deserves any and all bashing that it gets.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was a pretty good coverage on Henry's character. Personally, I thought that he was the least interesting of the main three, but still not necessarily a boring character. I just thought that both Takato and Rika were more interesting due to the amount of changes their personalities went through during the course of the series. He was still a likeable character for the most part though. I thought that she made a lot of really good points here on how Henry was the opposite of Takato, at least in terms of acting more like an adult rather than a child, but it didn't result in the two of them arguing a lot. I also thought it was interesting how she suggested that Henry was thinking about how he hurt that kid when he saw how Terrimon was hurt when playing the game. That would explain why he was so emotional during that scene.

While Henry doesn't change that much personality-wise during the course of the series, I think that his development comes from just how he dealt with all of the internal stress since he went from trying to handle everything on his own and not seeking help that often to realizing that he can't do everything on his own. I remember how Henry acted during those Beelzemon episodes. That's where his control issue really did take affect since he acted the most helpless out of the group, next to Jeri at least. He was way too focused on protecting Suzie, which does make sense with his personality and being an older brother, but it did make him unable to help out Suzie at all, as well as make him almost useless during that fight. I'm glad that she brought up that detail about how after he bio-merged with Terrimon, Henry would still prefer to fight without using all of those weapons. I was wondering if she would mention that change the dub made with the ending. Before I heard about that change, I thought that Henry admitting that things would never get easier was an even more depression note to end his character on. I'll be curious to hear her thoughts on Rika and the supporting cast.

8. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Star Trek Generations review is upon us. Just one more week to go!
    http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-star-trek-generations-5924059

The film isn't exactly bad, but underwhelming? Oh yes. The plot's a jumble, not much happens, and for a 'passing the torch' film, Kirk & Co. don't have enough screentime. And unlike hundreds o' Trekkies, I can live with Kirk's death just fine (save his last two words). Anyway, not quite as good as last week's review, but V is a hard act to follow. Enjoyed the digs at the cast's dislike of the Shat ('To The Stars' is a good read, btw) and McDowell's 'so'op' utterance.

Can't wait for next week. The final use of that rotten remix, you-know-who showing up and the inevitable sing-along to the Gilbert & Sullivan sequence. Insurrection may be more forgettable than bad, but that musical ditty shall be stuck in my memory for life.

#469 Astrolupine, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Like Jesuotaku, my favorite of the main Tamer 3 is Henry actually. Yeah I agree that Takato is nice (and defintley the most enjoyable of all the goggle leaders) and Jeri is a hundred times more developed then any other main female Digimon character, but I just like Henry more. Maybe it's due to him being a more calm and reasonable character, maybe it's because I really like Terrerrimon or maybe it was the fact he was a pacifist character who didn't annoy me or when he actually did it was to teach him a lesson (such as yeah the whole bit with trying to charge in and fight the Soverign and having to realize to allow Susie to be there and such) but I defintley appreciate JO going over the positives and negatives of his character and pointing out "no he isn't just the totally stiff and dull one. He had a lot more then that" though I'm sure he'll have a lot more to talk about with Jeri.

Enough Diigmon though. Here are my thoughts on the Star Trek Generations review.

#470 Neo Ultra Mike, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't care that much for the recent NC review. I thought that he did overuse that dancing away bit within only a few minutes and there were times where the jokes were kind of awkward rather than funny. Though, I did get a couple of good laughs from crying out "Melissa," the toast bit and the sign for the Linkara crossover for next week after he was so excited for not having a Linkara cameo. The movie itself didn't seem that bad, but just all over the place with its plot. I also actually forgot that Kirk was even in the film given how he only appeared at the beginning and for the final climax. If they were going for passing the torch to the Next Generation cast with this, then they probably should have given Kirk more screentime. Hopefully, the next review can end Star Trek month on a good note.

11. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Okay Doug should be banned from ever reusing that Row Row Your Boat bit and the "dancing off" gag. Those were quite obnoxious, not to mention Doug being rather obnoxious about the Linkara cameo.

Other than that mostly average. Just one more of this rather half-baked month and we can go back to regular stuff.

Sad really that Mr. Plinkett's first(?) review he's ever done still is lightyears ahead of Doug's video even when this is four years after Doug's video. Is it fair that I compare both? Yup. But does that stop me from doing so? NOPE.

12. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

I like Henry a lot better in the Japanese version. Mostly because I prefer the seiyuu. Mayumi Yamaguchi just makes Henry so... cool. He sounds a fair bit more mature and relaxed, I think Dave Wittenberg makes him a bit too shrill or something. I think those older, more mature characters can kind of come across as wet blankets a little bit if the acting/writing isn't right.

The Generations review was okay. I laughed a ton at Kirk and Picard making eggs. And there were a few really good jokes, I just don't think the movie really lent itself to as strong a review as Final Frontier.

13. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

I liked the joke he made about Data's emotion chip because of pushing a woman into water, his having to make up a joke because he ran out of Lord of the Rings footage, playing the Looney Tunes over Data's antics; and (like the last week) how he cut to the Blip commercial.

The last couple weeks were average, but this was pretty good. That said, I never realized he was tackling Generations and thought this was the last week, so while Star Trek Month has been okay, I'm waiting for his next normal episode.

14. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Well he didn't go for the obvious "Captain Under a Bridge" joke.

But seriously Critic Tolian Soran: forget the Soran part Tolian sound like Tolwyn...
    Geoffrey Tolwyn.... from the Wing Commander series...
    He was was played by Malcolm McDowell in WCIII and WCIV....... great chance for a Spoony cameo... *cough*

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Hmmm kind of sad no one's liking the new Nostalgia Critic episode. Here's something else though I think you will like a lot: CR's decided to start up a new series. You know how Nash and the Last Angry Geek Recap Dr. Who episodes old and new? Well CR's decided to do the same thing. Except instead of the doctor, he's focusing on Ponies. To be specific new and old episodes of my little Pony Friendship is magic starting with a review of the latest episode "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezer 5000"

http://blip.tv/familiar-faces/feedback-is-magic-the-super-speedy-cider-squeezy-6000-5923576

I have to say a very well done recap. Focusing more on pointing out the moral and the refrences then just going over the plot or even the nitpicks (though yeah I am a stickler on continuity of a show as well even for things like MIP:FIM). I like how he pointed out how this showed there are villianous ponies as well as how it showed just how great a family unit Applejack's "buisness" is. And how some people would try and actually point out the Music Man stole from the simpsons since they didn't grow up with the original play. I would like to see this become a successful series since hey nice to have someone focused on talking about recent cartoon episodes which... I don't think anyone else on the site would really bother with. And hey this idea could be stretched to other shows as well besides just MIP:FIM, even if that is a good one to start with.

16. Swordfish_II

Swordfish_II Active Member

So are these commercials in the middle going to be a permanent thing now or what?

17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Personally, if I did make my own web series, this would be one of my main focuses: doing recaps of episodes of animated programs. The three main types of episodes that I'd do:

1. A "Saturday morning sampler", where I watch episodes of classic cartoons (and sometimes newer stuff like MLP:FiM);

2. An "Anime sampler" that covers specific episodes of certain anime titles.

3. A series where I give bad episodes of various prime time shows (i.e. The Simpsons, Family Guy) the beatdown they deserve.

18. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Do you think Doug will do more videos that include "favourite and least favourite films" of 2011? I am really interested in seeing what he thought of last year's releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.