1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 15 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Wow. What a fantastic list.

Anyone notice that Doug had absolutely zero non-animated dramas on that list? It doesn't matter, because hoo boy, that's a good selection.

As you can tell from my somewhat dated, yet still prevalent username, I was ecstatic to see Home Movies as Doug's #2 (number two!!!) favorite show. My god, I don't even think it ranks that high with me nowadays. (my 2004 self is a different story) Black Books, too! Which I've actually seen and love!

But yeah, Daria, I've never even seen an episode yet I still respect that choice.

The only disappointing thing is the pure lack of current shows on the list. I think the only currently airing show that hasn't been on for, well, forever is Louie (which don't get me wrong, is also freaking fantastic)... I guess he has zero real time to watch much new television and I guess I can't blame him for that. He's a busy man.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Glad Doug made the point that calling Seinfeld a "show about nothing" is a big misnomer, especially after the first couple of seasons when each character had their own plot and there was a lot going on. And actually, I would argue that even though the show doesn't tackle big "issues" in its comedy, it still works because hey, it's the little things that make up life.

Doug's a 3rd Rock fan too. That's awesome.

Some of the choices weren't huge surprises, since Doug has praised many of them as NC in his Top 11 lists.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Doug's a fellow fan of Red Dwarf, Monty Python's Flying Circus and The Black Adder. That's pretty cool. Doug's like me, I was introduced to Rowan Atkinson through Black Adder, not Mr. Bean, and I enjoyed Black Adder more; I used to watch BA on A&E, back when they did 'Brit Wit' on Thursday nights. BA was also my introduction to the talents of Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Tony Robinson and Miranda Richardson. Good stuff.

FTR, the white lady from In Living Color was Kelly Coffield, and I agree with Doug; she was funny. It's strange and somewhat disappointing that she didn't go on to do anything significant after ILC. I also agree that one reason why ILC color worked (up until the final season, which was terrible) was that it was only 30 minutes. Both SNL and MAD TV often felt padded out due to their lengths, but the ILC skits never overstayed their welcome.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was an interesting list. I've only seen a small handful of shows that he mentioned. Fawlty Towers is hilarious. My family and I watch some of the episodes every now and then for a good laugh. I've only seen a bit of Monty Python's Flying Circus, but it was more weird and dull than funny to me. I remember watching some of The Black Adder with my Dad when I was little and I thought it was really fun to watch. Animaniacs and Batman: TAS were two shows I loved to watch back in the day. Though, I also disagree with him about Batman Beyond. It didn't really seem like they were trying to recreate TAS. It was trying to put a different spin on Batman with a new Batman and I thought it worked well. Though, some of the early villains of the series were too similar Batman's regular villains. Plus, Brave and the Bold isn't trying to copy TAS.

I haven't really much of Daria, but that is an interesting choice and he gives some really good reasons behind it. I might rent the DVD one of these days to see if I enjoy the series as well.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

To Kick off October, The Nostalgia Critic starts with yet another Stephen King Miniseries. This time it's the TommyKnockers. Will Tommy be knocked even more then It and the Langoliers? The only way to find out is to well see the review (which as of the moment I write this is still converting but it will be available to view soon).

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-the-tommyknockers-5614187

#645 Neo Ultra Mike, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  6. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Great opening, but like past theme months, I don't expect it to fully repeated due to the Critic getting tired of the tune.

Who owns a Komodo dragon, really? Those things are some of the most savage reptiles in the world, and the only way to keep them under control (according to Paul Dini) is to punch them in the nose. Good luck with that. Anyway, this is probably the first Stephen King review that I've enjoyed. Every joke I laughed at, even the small ones such as a fake punch noise FX, or the sorta-tired Randy Newman gags. As for the mini-series itself, it's highly amusing in its dopiness. Too many characters, muddled middle, rushed climax. Again, Stevie? (5/5)

So which was the sillier Stephen King alien cop out: Tommyknockers or...
    You decide!

7. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

Wait... what happened to the dolls?

Otherwise, this was a hillarious review, and that opening was incredible. I was clapping like mad when that cheating jerk died; he certainly deserved that.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually really enjoyed this review and it might be my favorite out of the Stephen King miniseries reviews from the NC. Most of the jokes worked and made me laugh. My favorite moments were the home version of the Stephen King Drinking Game, the creepiness of the police officer showing the kids the cells with prisoners, having a room full of dolls in the station, along with the bit the NC had with the Roger Rabbit dolls, the random pets in that vet office, the wife easily accepting that her television had come to life and the aliens being easily defeated at the end. The male police officer dying by the Coke machine exploding was hilarious. Even before he explained what frying the coke meant, I was laughing at it because it was so silly that I couldn't help but laugh at it. The other officer being killed off by the dolls was kind of expected and while silly, it didn't seem nearly as funny as death by exploding Coke machine.

It just seemed like an extremely weird kind of story, but it seemed like it kind of worked. The title still feels kind of random. I liked the opening too, so hopefully he'll keep it around for the whole month. It was a really fun review to watch.

9. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

A great review, I was laughing so hard when Doug focuses on how the Postal worker just chucks the bag of sandwiches. I remember reading the novel of the TommyKnockers, never knew they made an adaptation.

10. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Oh Lord, that X-Files opening was a piece of genius.

I haven't laughed this hard or consistently at an NC review in a while. And as bad as the miniseries is, I actually like the novel, which -- while certainly goofy -- at least isn't hobbled by lousy, early-90's TV special effects like the show. And, as Doug notes, this is the King novel that was written at the height of his dependancy on booze and drugs in the mid-80s (he successfully detoxed shortly afterwards at the behest of his family), which is why it's easy to make the associative leap between his personal demons and the "becoming" the townspeople undergo. Another positively bonkers King book, Dreamcatcher, was written immiately following the 1999 road accident that nearly killed him and left him wracked with pain and high on medication, which explains just how looney-tooney the book and movie were (and I know 2003 is too late for a "nostalgic" review of the movie, but I'd love to see Doug tackle that one).

11. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I'm actually reading the book at this point (im at the midpoint). Would watching this review spoil the ending of the book, or is the movie significantly different?

12. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

A police officer with a doll collection? That is creepy and disturbing! :eek: Good grief!

13. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

The miniseries is barely a skeleton of what the book is (mainly due to length and budget restrictions). I say just watch the review.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Ah, this was a good review. I'm glad, because I've been a bit concerned lately that The Nostalgia Critic has been getting stale.

Love NC's obsession with the jerk throwing away the sandwiches and "You're not gonna find the missing child in her vagina!"

15. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

Best review in a while. Man Stephen king novels seem to be repetitive. Love the Goofy yell when Smits fell out the window and the critics bashing of the adulterous mailman.

16. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

While the overall review was hilarious, I think I laughed the most during the intro - NC dramatically falling down stairs was never more funny.

17. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Oh god, that wall of Roger Rabbits.

"GO!"

18. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Ah Stephen King, you are so predictable :p

Ah, this was a really great review. From X-Files parody, the Stephen King.Drinking Game Home Edition, to the Snob cameo, and others, this made for a fun ride.

The funny thing is, I thought this wwas rather scarry when I was a kid. Now I realize how much these movies were really comedies.

20. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.