1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 15 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I have no real opinion on Dane Cook (my kid brother really likes him, for whatever reason, though), but I've heard some not so nice things about him as a person, on the TGWTG forums, no less.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I echo a comment on the Blip page: how could we not know a movie like this existed until now?

That's why Lupa invaded, I guess. It's not fair for NC to take obscure bizarrities starring Dennis Rodman for his own.

I haven't seen enough of Mr. Cook to form an opinion either, but I haven't liked what I have seen, and this is the worst use of him yet.

3. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Ugh, following Film Brain's Good Luck Chuck review from a few weeks back, I've seen enough of Dane Cook to last me for a lifetime. :ack:

As for the movie...double-ugh. My least favorite film genre, the "deliberately stupid action movie". All of these films are like, "Hey, we know it's stupid, so just shut your brain off and have mindless fun...!", but I don't buy it for a second. I can't stand all of the forced whackiness on display. At least with a bad action movie that was intended to be good, I can get some unintentional laughs out of it (like the filmography of Michael Bay, where all of the "funny" lines land with a leaden thud, but all of the "thrilling" or "emotional" moments have me giggling uncontrolably.

4. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Nice video, and the best one articulating why MLPFIM is so good.

Hey, it may serve as the best way to introduce why people are watching the show. Nonanimation fans simply don't understand that the cartoon itself is an artform. It has its own sstrengths and history that FIM calls back on.

Also, great call back to Spoony's Nightmare review. Ohhh....Nasty.

Is it just me, or anyone else get annopyed when CR refered to "The Next Generation", as "Star Trek Generations''? :shrug: I'd email him about that, but no doubt the Internet is already doing that.

Overall, excellent work.

5. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

That was a good crossover. Lupa is the "so bad it's good" critic, so I'm not surprised she enjoyed the movie while the Critic hated it. Fitting she'd be the one to review it with, as I have never heard of Simon Sez. I've only seen two episodes of Lupa, her recent review of Big Wolf on Campus (I loved that show) that was okay, and her first Manic Episode of Xena which I didn't like because her humor really came out forced in that one.

From the clips, the movie definitely looks goofy, but I'm sure it was intentionally over the top. The Critic and Lupa's overly hysterical reaction to that one lame joke was the best part. :D Here's hoping a crossover with Todd, Oancitizen, and a solo one with Spoony are in the future.

Now to get to CR!

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Funny, that was my least favorite part. I thought it was obnoxious and labored.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was a pretty enjoyable crossover review. It makes sense that Lupa would appear to do a review with the NC for this review since it does feel more obscure than nostalgic. In fact, I think that quite a few of the NC's recent reviews were more obscure, but it might be how I never even heard of them. I've seen most of Lupa's reviews and a couple of her Manic episodes and she's pretty enjoyable to watch. My favorite parts were the NC thinking that one of the other reviewers listened to him for once only for Lupa to get back in the review, Lupa enjoying the Dane Cook for the early part of the review while the NC thought he was terrible, the cyber monk dance, although that did get a bit old by the end and the cartoon sound effects for the villain. Personally, I've never really much of Dane Cook to get an opinion on him, but the animal sound jokes and that bit where he was having that dream, along with Film Brain's review on Good Luck Chuck, didn't leave a good impression on me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my thoughts on CR's video on Friendship is Magic. I haven't really seen the show myself, but it looked pretty cute by what he showed and described of it. Some of the clips were pretty funny and I could already relate to Twilight's character. With the way he described the show and the creative team behind it, it makes more sense to me as to how the show could become a huge hit. If I ever get the Hub or they release the show on DVD, I'll have to check out this show for myself.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/32608-house-of-wax
    Phelous finally reviews House of Wax for his actual 100th episode, and everybody gathers to celebrate.....the death of Paris, naturally.

Be warned that this is a gory movie and most of the shots have been left in. I'm sorry, but despite how stupid this is I found some of those scenes legitimately creepy, most notably the stupid teen finding Jared Padalecki and continuing to peel his face off despite it visibly not helping. That's just....horrible!

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I tried to watch that yesterday just to see if I'd get a laugh from it since I've heard terrible reviews around this House of Wax movie, but that scene, along with a girl getting her finger cut off, just made me stop right in the middle of the review. It was just far too creepy for me to watch. Granted, I've never been a fan of horror movies, but I thought that there wouldn't be that many disturbing scenes and images in this review because of the poor quality of the movie.

10. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

11. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

12. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

I'm sorry. I really tried, I did, but for the first time, I've come up against a NC review I simply can't make it through, and not because of the movie. No, it's all thanks to one Ms. Lupa, Obscurus. I watched some of her Xena review, and while I didn't get too far in that either, she didn't seem that bad at the time. Even in Suburban Knights I didn't think too badly of her if only because I could see the kind of cutesy-turned-jerk she was trying to play. But here, she's either obnoxious, hammy, overacting, or simply underwhelming, and all before the 10 minute mark. When I saw there was another 20 minutes of torture left, I just gave up.

I found the wheelie flip scene they did funny, and the initial cyber-monks bit mildly amusing, plus anything with 90's kids is usually great. Everything else was just painful, especially her weak mock cheering for Dane Cook, like she's trying to be funny but is worried about waking up someone sleeping in the house. "Hee hee hee. Monks are funny." Whereas you, Ms. Lupa, are not.

13. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

14. Beat

Beat Retired

It would be a video game version of the Athena #1 review.

Although I still say Queens Blade would get less rage than the inevitable Red Hood & The Outlaws review.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/nostalgia-chick/32645-kate-and-leopold

That's Lindsay's idea of a perfect man? I'm concerned as to what this suggests about Todd.

Brentalfloss cameos in this even though he has nothing to do with TGWTG at all.

And yes, it's true -- this movie went through a last-minute edit right before it opened because the original cut suggested she was the Duke's descendant, and they didn't realize the implications of that until right before the film was due. Sharp!

16. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Actually he did appear in another video for Jew Wario's "Stuck In Your Head" series singing the chip and dale rescue rangers theme. Also he's been mentioned in video games are awesome and has twittered with several of the producers so I assume he's at least friends with some of them (at least NChick and Jdub).

Doug Walker has complied together another favorite list today. This time he goes over his top 20 favorite TV shows so thought we might be able to discuss them here.

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/doug-s-top-20-favorite-tv-shows-part-1-5607619 (Part One)

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/doug-s-favorite-tv-shows-part-2-5607667 (part two)

#637 Neo Ultra Mike, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  17. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Daria is his #1 series of all time? Awesome respect for that choice. I never grew up with Daria (mostly because I did not have cable at the time), but I risked buying the DVD completely blind to what I'd get into based on people's love for it. I do not regret it: I've set through a marathon of the DVD twice in less than a year. It is an amazing show, for all the points NC made and more.

Also, I am so much like Jane Lane it scares me. I even have a Daria as my best friend as well (and she looks like her, too).

Much love for him mentioning both 3rd Rock from The Sun and Malcolm in the Middle, especially the latter. I am still peeved it only got one DVD release, the show deserved so much more.

I think the only major thing I will disagree on is his comment on Batman Beyond. Probably a very biased statement since it's my personal favorite of the DCAU, but I think he's missing the point when he said it was different. It's suppose to be different. Terry was never meant to copy Bruce's style, only carry his legacy. Terry is not Bruce and he will do things completely different than his mentor. Yes, I think it did start of a bit deriative (at least the villains: Inque being that future's Clayface, Ten as the Catwoman, etc) and it does lack the sophistication of its predecessor, but it's also a smart, mature, and dark series.

18. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

.....Why didn't you use spoilers? :( Can we please make it a rule to have people use spoilers for at least 24 hours to give people the chance to have seen the videos first? I came on here to get the very link to Doug's TV list and this was impossible to have not noticed. :crying:

19. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Clearly, Doug needs to watch a few episodes of Batman: Brave and the Bold if he believes every Batman animated project afterwards is a B:TAS re-hash. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.