1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 15 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

Credit for show summaries provided by Neo Ultra Mike.

2. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Burdette25159

Burdette25159 Member

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I was going to post this before but I was having problems finding a link for it. Why? Well apparently Blip changed their format and it's like 200% more difficult to find links for people who posted on that site. I don't know why their format changed and it really really honks me off. But that's neither here nor there, so let's talk about the new NC shall we?

Actually I had heard about this movie before when looking up info on the original Titanic Animated movie the Nostalgia Critic reviewed. However I only really saw any of it when The Cartoon Hero (someone who as I mentioned before posted on the TGWTG Forums/Blogs and is part of the community off branch of the website) did a review of this and yeah it's sequal movie, which is somehow even stupider because they have to bring in Atalantis for some reason. Actually though this movie actually is worse, this is actually the original Italian Titanic movie. The Legend goes on was a remake of this so yeah, the 2001 version with The Rapping Dog and the romance that involved three lines of dialogue was actually the better movie. Why was it remade? Because THIS movie was apparently some sort of cult hit. It... makes you really question the tastes of the Italian Film auidence sometimes.

But hey even if it's a stupid story the NC won't review the sequal of (I don't blame him as the sequal dosen't even fall within his date range I believe. Why don't you try getting MikeJ to review that Shameful Sequal?) this is really great NC Fodder. I don't know if it's as good as the Gordy review, but it is certianly angrier then we've seen him at a movie since... The Magic Voyage thinking about it. But yeah this movie deserves it having a Titanic movie where no one dies, the villians are an evil oil tycoon and a gang of sharks, and the iceberg was thrown by a cute giant squid named tentacles. Lot of great bits though from the opening Star Wars ripoff, NC having even huger bottles of alchol, wondering why Titanic movies even need a bad guy since the Iceberg's suppose to be the big threat, calling the Prince Joe because he has six names and calling him creepy for sniffing the glove (The Cartoon Hero actually made that joke first, but NC went a step ahead by having him imitate sniffing a glove and shoe), being bored with the mouse protcol and wondering why they didn't just sneak in, being in utter amazement at a moonbeam tear causing her to talk to dolphins and saying pretend if you didn't leave the movie threathre after that (I think he should of included this joke though "Why do we even need a moonbeam? According to Gordy all you need is to take the time to LISTEN, and then you can speak to animals. And surley the people who created Pig Power in the house know what they're talking about" and then started dancing to it), the daughter's calm response somehow getting through the second time over her first protest, wondering what was up with that Shark's fin, saying that the one tragic death in the movie was a fat mouse tying together his whiskers to connect the telegraph lines, Elizabeth and "Joe" for no disernable reason NOT getting on the life boats, yelling for the movie to shut up about the whailers in a Titanic movie, needing to cry every now again and the "Noooooo" at the end. So yeah really great review of the... second to worst Titanic movie ever since the sequal from what I saw is in fact, the worst Titanic movie ever.

6. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

That SW:RotS opening was so hilarious.

7. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I don't know what's more insulting: How bad that film is, or how it rewrote history for some silly "we can't have anybody die in this movie so kids don't get upset" thought the filmmakers had.

8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Terrible movie, blanting lying about history, what is next, Lincoln was not assinated.

At least in this one, the animation is better, the leading lady didn't look like Anastasia like the leading lady in the Titanic Animated Musical, have the crows from Dumbo, the crocks from 101 Dalmations, etc.

9. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Interspecies racism? Dolphins crying (would you even see dripping tears underwater)? Magical tears that allow humans to understand all animal species? Gangs of criminal sharks (replete with striped shirts convicts haven't worn since the 1930's)? Depicting one of the most horrific mass disasters in history as having not one single casualty?

Good GOD, what were these people smoking?! :eek: Yes, the animation is better than the other animated Titanic film (meaning it's merely adequate as opposed to retina-scalding hideous), yet I couldn't believe how inane this was. I honestly don't envy Doug Walker's job a bit after seeing something like that. Even just viewing twenty minutes' worth of clips was agonizing enough, I can't imagine sitting through the whole thing multiple times trying to find something of interest to say.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. That movie just looked like it was so painful to watch. It was still funny to watch, but the way that they were dumbing down this tragic event for kids was just plain sad. Still, I still got some nice laughs from the ridiculous concepts they brought up like associating racism with a mouse having a fantasy for a female human, the whole tear and magic moonbeam allowing Elizabeth to talk to animals and no one, not even her, questions what the heck is going on, the whole underwater shark gang, including the NC's reaction to that gang of sharks, the octopus saving the ship and his reaction to the ending where absolutely no one died. I can kind of get why the octopus survived since I didn't really understand how that happened to begin with, but the mouse surviving didn't make sense other than that they wanted everyone to live. Even the beginning of the review was pretty funny with Rob saying "Yes" after the long "No!" bit. It was just a really weird movie, but the review was pretty fun to watch.

11. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Good freaking lord, what did I just watch?

Loved "I thought you were dead!" "Nnnnope."

12. Rynnec

Rynnec Active Member

Holy crap, did that movie look terrible. Where the movie makers on something when they made this? No one dies in a Titanic movie? Seriously? Not even the Octopus who was CRUSHED BY A GIANT SHIP?

Such a shame too. What a waste of excellent animation.

The Critics reaction to the dolphins suddenly talking was priceless. The reaction to the out of the blue appearance of the sharks even moreso.

13. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

The other day I saw the live-action "Ambiguously Gay Duo" segment on Cartoon Brew, and it inspired me to look up another TV Funhouse segment - "Walt Disney's 'Titey'".

For those who haven't seen it, it came out around the time a certain James Cameron movie was released. It was a satire of the film's sudden popularity as well as a sendup of Disney animated movies and the tropes and historical inaccuracies written therein.

And what a coincidence that this week's Nostaglia Critic was EXACTLY what was shown in that segment. Only taken more seriously, by the looks of it.
    I'm surprised Anne Frank and Napoleon didn't show up in it.

And I thought watching the rapping dog required a low tolerance of physical pain. Talking animals, humans talking to animals, a villain who wears an eye patch in case you forgot he was the villain, a glove fetishist, a not-racist mouse, a shark Mafia,
    a microscopically thin subplot involving whales, and the icing on this devil's predigested food cake, the history-be-damned ending where everyone who's supposed to be dead has a party with the giant talking octopus who just pulled a Disney Death on the audience.

I think my IQ dropped a few points just watching the review.

#14 Kitschensyngk, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  14. Vanitas

Vanitas Member

OK, if everyone survived the Titanic disaster, then WHY did it become common knowledge that hundreds of people died, as stated in the beginning of the movie? How was their survival covered up? How was the freaking giant octopus in New York City covered up? :confused:

God, this movie is stupid. Bring the rapping dog back!

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't even think the animation in this Titanic movie was all that good. It looked very stiff and limited; it's certainly no Disney.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, now THIS is the one I've seen before.
    Cartoon Network Japan aired this a couple of times several years ago.
    I've seen two other shows done by the studio (Mondo TV) when I lived overseas, and both felt like it was trying to be Italy's Disney studio. One of the show's they make tried to combine The Jungle Book with The Lion King and Bambi resulting in this.
    They also did a Pochantas tv series, but I can't find a clip.

Anyhoo, it was nice to get a glimpse of this film since its been so long, and I gotta say, even then I thought this was pretty damn stupid, the fact that everyone survives, the talking animals, the giant pink octopus saving the day....., good god, it was laughable then, and it is laughable now.

Btw, the sequel involved them looking for the remains of the ship and discovering. In case anyone was curious.

I still can't believe there are two animated movies about the Titanic from Italy. What is up with that?

17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

First off, that was a great review, one of the funniest he's had in a little while And of course..... What kind of movie was this? Who thought it up? Why were there, oh forget it. Not even going to bother. You know out of all the movies Doug has reviewed, this may be one of the worst. At least Battlefield Earth, Batman and Robin or The Room didn't, you know, deny the deaths of hundreds of people and make a preachy "whales are good movie" wrapped around the tragic and real life sinking of the Titanic! What were they thinking? The story is beyond me, the whole racist thing... I don't know. I hope he does the sequel next week, I'm dying to know what else these morons did. These filmmakers should seriously ashamed of themselves.

18. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Compared to the other Titanic animated movie, it looks like freakin' Bambi.

19. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

What's hilarious is that the guy isn't even "poor" as it seems. It seems no one is. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.