1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 14 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I am not saying they ripped off Charlette's Web, but if you are going to go down that avenue, just saying of Gordy and Babe, if one is a rip off of the other, than the first one is just as much as a rip off of Charlette's Web, as the other movie is a rip off.

2. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Yes, thank you for contradicting yourself.

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Ah, if only I had enough time to make all the lol-whitepeople.gifs this could yield.

4. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Pig powah in da hawse! :d

5. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

"Go play your banjo goober!"

Wow... after the ho-hum entry last week, this one was exceptional, EXTREMELY exceptional. In fact it may be my favourite as of yet. I remember VAGUELY watching Gordy, and even then I wasn't too impressed, and Doug hit all the right notes with regards to how wrong this movie us. I loved the banter between Gordy and the Rooster, his focus on the man wearing red pantyhose, and well pig power in the house. I dunno, this one he was quite on the inspired mark.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Great review. The basic elements of Gordy (which did come out shortly before Babe, though it got lost in the morass of the latter) were predictable bad movie fodder: note, whenever there's 1 kid in a movie who has no mother and another kid who has no father, then naturally their 2 single parents will meet, fall instantly in love and be married by the end of the film; but what made it stand out were the utterly bizarre moments behind it: how the mom suddenly shifted from being a villain to one of the good guys about 3/4 into the movie, how the kindly old grandfather conveniently died offscreen and left his fortune to the pig, who uses his fortune to do everything but find his missing family, his original goal, how the camera held on that weird head-shot of the fiancee with the golden glow behind it for several seconds after making the videos (which no one bothered to look at before sending them off), the sudden appearance of a cross-dressing robber with red stockings over his head, how the girl bonds with Gordy but then gives him away to the boy without a moment's hesitation, how the boy sits on top of a diving board when he can't swim and his consequent humiliating rescue by Gordy ("Congratulations kid, you're bully meat for the rest of your childhood!") and of course, "Pig Power in Da House".

The best NC reviews are the ones in which the films themselves are so gosh-darned nutty that the gags practically write themselves.

#566 Silverstar, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow, I can't believe I'm the first one to mention the Deliverance gag. That was my favorite part of the review.

Well, that and the pot telling NC to screw himself.

8. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

Single parents, talking animals, stupid premises, family-friendly morals and jokes that fall flat. As only Disney in the 90s could.

9. Burdette25159

Burdette25159 Member

10. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

The making of the review for Warrior #1: http://at4w.blip.tv/file/5125195/

Not to mention that we see a filming of the original opening for the Superman IV review, which after seeing definitely got more of a laugh the current opening (and that was pretty funny to begin with.

11. bluenowait

bluenowait Hootenanny

He was originally making a JOKE.

12. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

So... why did the girl let the kid adopt the boy in the first place?

13. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Where was the joke?

14. Kitschensyngk

15. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I was simply trying to be sarcastic or at least half sarcastic.

16. Vanitas

Vanitas Member

So the grandfather leaves all his fortune to a PIG and not his own daughter?

What a creep!

17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Actually, the grandfather does have a reason for this, which is explained in the film (with said clip appearing in Doug's review).

18. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I can see FB wanting to push it back to you know not wanting people to be reminded of the diasterous earthquake in Japan with yet another Emmirch diaster movie. Still props on him giving it a full on two parter. Unlike Pirates of the Carribean I think it's due to this movie containing a whole lot of stupid (like with the old conspiract nut/prospect character and the president staying in the white house while it's being destroyed. Really what's Emmirch and having his movie presidents act like no movie president ever would in real life? And then there's the boyfriend somehow being the world's best pilot despite only still in the first degrees of getting his freaking license). I haven't seen it but I think this is a movie that's ripe for a full on parody. South Park and MAD did okay refrences but let's see someone seriously lay into it. And no not Nostalgia Chick who kind of tried skimming this movie with 3 others and bouncing ideas back and forth that didn't lay just how bad the movie was.

That's not to say the Nostalgia Chick can't do good work as to conclude the Dark Nella saga we get the review of Newsies.

http://nostalgiachick.blip.tv/file/5142930/

19. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

This is incredibly shallow, but the whole saga was worth it just to have the bunch of busty ladies dancing around. In seriousness, I enjoyed the saga and even favor that Lindsay used a quick ending. I've mostly enjoyed when others use storylines in their reviews, but sometimes they get carried away - most notably Linkara. It got to a point where it felt like he was taking his Lord Vyce storyline a little too seriously and the devotion to the storyline segments were leading him to rush through his reviews. I just prefer it be kept simple if a reviewer really wants to delve into that sort of thing, as was done here.

The only bit of disappointment I really had from this whole thing, and in particular from this review, was that I was hoping Paw would make some sort of an appearance.

20. Kitschensyngk

Evil monkey men and the villainess from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers terrorize some cute little teddy bears.

Oh yeah, and they also slaughter a little girl's entire family, but that's not really important.

Shameful Sequels: Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.