1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 14 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Some quick thoughts:
    *I think that the Jaws series would've fared better had it been sort of anthology format. In other words, instead of always being about the Brodys (and ironically, Jaws the Revenge is a closer sequel to the first two), about shark attacks in general. I also never understood why they never made a prequel regarding Quint's tale about being on the USS Indianapolis.

*The whole plot in regards to "Revenge" is absurd to begin with because we're supposed to believe that this shark must be the son of the shark from the first movie. And I guess, the shark from the second movie was his mother.

*Doug should've made an "Elephant in the Room" reference when Judith Barsi (who was murdered by her own father) appeared.

*I wish that Doug also talked about the late Richard Jeni's famous comedy routine detailing how stupid this movie is.

*Mrs. Brody putting on a "happy face" at Sean's funeral kind of reminds me of that famous Good Times episode where Mrs. Evans acts "normal" when the kids are grieving the death of Mr. Evans (John Amos was fired for criticizing the show's direction) before finally breaking the punch bowl ("Damn, Damn, Damn!").

*I also wish that Doug would've brought up Mrs. Brody being able to have flashbacks about Chief Brody and Sean (if I'm not mistaken) from the first movie even though she wasn't present for those events in the first place.

*Doug also forgot to mention that Michael Caine was unable to attend the Academy Awards to accept his Best Supporting Oscar for Hannah and Her Sisters because he was busy shooting Jaws the Revenge.

2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

There was also a spider-man comic that dealt with this, and even implied that Peter Parker himself was molested as a child:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/westcott.htm

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally got a chance to watch this and I thought it was really funny. Granted, the video itself was just asking for jokes before Brad looked at it, but it was still pretty weird to see Winnie the Pooh and his friends talk about stranger danger. I've never seen this particular special, but those segments with the kids dealing with strangers trying to kidnap or molest them reminded me of those home alone safety videos I watched when I was little. I was left home alone pretty often when I was in grade school, but I still got a laugh when Brad pointed out how the problems could be solved if parents didn't chose to leave their young children alone. Those costumes, especially for Pooh and Tigger, weren't the best kind of quality they could have used. It should be kind of fun to see what other kind of DVDs he'll show on this new show later on.

4. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

5. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Would've been also cute to reference Caine's view of the movie: "I've never seen but by all accounts it's an awful movie. But I've seen the house it built and it's terrific!"

6. Cabel

Cabel Member

As Kyle explained, Zardoz is apparently the rare type of movie that qualifies for both his and Brad's respective tastes. Kyle just had the fortune of reviewing it before anyone else.

7. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

I watched a lot of Disney Channel when I was that age, including Welcome to Pooh Corner, the A. A. Milne-inspired preschool show this spun off of. I think I even saw this video as well. Oh, it's all coming back to me now...

It could have been worse. They had a similar show based off the Dumbo franchise.

Imagine an elephant with a prehensile trunk teaching your kids how to avoid getting sexually assaulted.

8. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

You know i just realized something. Given that Doug finds it okay to tread on already-trod ground with his X-Men review... that could mean he could revive the Newsies review that the Chick asked him not to make it reality. I think it would be nice, when he did his last schedule as such that, apart from Drop Zone were ones I really wanted to see.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Taking time out of editting the Third Year Anniversary, we finally get another Bum review for Thor.

http://www.blip.tv/file/5119355/?ut...ite_search&utm_content=itnk&utm_campaign=s_ab

And now instead of telling everyone at the end of the video in one sentance what he thinks of a movie, Doug is now going to do a little vlog review for all the movies he Bums. So here's his actual review of Thor.

http://www.blip.tv/file/5119951

10. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I think this is a wise thing for Doug to Do. It will prevent another District 9 like outrage now that he's going into more details of his actual opinion of the movie.

11. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Eh, I largely agree with the Critic where D9 was concerned, but it's good that he's doing a little clarification at the end now.

12. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I mainly meant if he explained his feelings for the movie back then he probably would have avoided much of the fan outrage he got.

13. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

14. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

That rooster's acting career never took off. At least he went out deliciously!
    Wow... the creepy rich grandpa didn't go through Scary Slo-Mo.
    Loved the evil Critic refusing to fade out.
    Finally, Evil Popcorn Man returns!!
    "Go play your banjo, goober!"
    NO! Not Conway Twitty! I get enough of him on Family Guy... wait, I thought Doug disliked FG?

Well, that was a rather fun review, for something that looked rather mediocre. Glad to see this one wasn't as rushed as last week's ep. Until next week, pig powah in the house! (4/5)

15. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

I've seen Gordy before. And dear god I can't believe I never remembered it because it is perfect for the NC.

Sure enough, he delivered. Not a single moment of this review DIDN'T work. The montage joke with Cheerios 2, Pig Power (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bztQNlOVHs), Gordy and the Rooster... holy crap, this had me laughing so so hard. Much better than his Jaws 4 review.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was a hilarious review. I barely remember watching Gordy myself. The box cover and some of the scenes with the kids seemed familiar to me. My favorite parts were all of the off-screen events that Gordy had to stop, the boy needing therapy for the being reminded that a pig saved him, that bit with the boyfriend being edited over the montage, Gordy becoming the CEO of the company and all of his reactions to Pig Party in the House, including ending with the NC dancing to the music video. The whole review was hilarious and definitely worked a lot better than his review for Jaws 4.

17. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Gordy is a ripoff of Babe, Babe is a ripoff of Gordy, does it really matter? They are all ripoffs of Charlette's Web.

18. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Because talking pig automatically means knockoff, doesn't it? :shrug: That's like saying Stuart Little's a ripoff of Garfield just because they both had snide, talking cats.

19. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

To be fair, Charolette's Web focuses more on the story of Wilbur the pig, and Charolette the spider. As really the pig isn't really anything that much but the Spider is the one with the talent that saves the pig because she's friends with him. Really Babe and Gordy have more to do with the Pigs themselves being heroes. I did see both Babe and Babe, Pig In The City in theathres and... don't really remember liking either that much. Maybe it was my young 9 year old mind but I felt the first Babe movie was rather slow at times and that the second one was weird and depressing. Maybe I should see them again and see if either aged. But it seems like Gordy hasn't. Since this is a case of both being in production at the same time Gordy couldn't of ripped off Babe. But I'm sure they just thought the idea of a cute pig would of made for a charmy, hilarious movie of a pig managing to become C.E.O and having his own... rap song for some reason.

Since I haven't seen the movie I'll just take it by this review it was incredibley stupid. But it was defintley fodder for a great NC video. I don't know if he's still madcappingly busy working on the 3rd Anniversary special but it dosen't show nearly as much this week. And maybe it's just the premise that lends itself to some great jokes. Including having to be told Gordy was not a ripoff, the film bieng made since the director put peanut butter in the animal's mouth, all the calamaties that went wrong off screen while Gordy was away, "Hey it's Hannah Montanna's less popular cousin, Annoying Wyonning" (Forget that last name though he could of actually refrenced that HIp Hop throwdown from the hannah montanna movie and put in a Todd cameo) the kid stupidly sitting on a diveboard despite not knowing how to swim, using the Spiderpig song, his shock at a wide angle lense being used (to be fair dosen't he hate those? Shouldn't his reaction of shock and terror at one being put in feel geunine actually?), him having a creepy image over eating cereal, non one fact checking the videos at all, him actually enjoying and dancing to the Pig Power video (since saying it was awful would be expected actually), "and so the grandpa's death like everything else important in this movie happens offscreen", his shock at the pig being C.E.O, using the arms back and forth motion during the fight (that's one of my favorite reactions of his actually to indicate the stupidity on screen) and jamming to the actual pig power music video. really only some bits didn't work like he should of made fun of FG for their overdone Conway Twitty bits as his was a bit too long but nothing that detracts from a very solid review.

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Best one of the year so far. I knew the movie was ridiculous, but I never knew it was THAT bad. So much material there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.