1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 14 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

Credit for show summaries provided by Neo Ultra Mike.

#1 Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  2. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Okay Antiyonder, you SERIOUSLY need to update the first post explanation for the Nostalgia Criitc. Quite frankly, it was old and out of date last year and in 2011 it just won't do. I would go with something more like this.

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Obviously you don't have to use this if you don't want to but I think it'd be better then just using that same outdated intro over and over again.

4. CR!

CR! New Member

Hey Everybody,

Dropping off my 50th episode , in keeping with the Superbowl aftermath.

As for current events in teh world of TGWTG: I can tell you right now I respect Doug's movie list and can appreciate his opinion. Hell I get enough flack for hating the Dark Knight which, following Doug's thoery, was written around a handfull of really good speeches.

But i have to put this out a few things out there:

Matilda is like a Bros. Grimm fairy tale set in modern day with modern conventions.

The reason Pixar used cars instead of people is the age old practice of personifacation. You can project certian triats and personalities on certian cars. I personally always loved the way the jeep and the van interacted in the morning.

As for the story, It's about what happens when you go throw life at top speed, a metaphor you can illistrate with...say it with me now...cars . Speed got there by mistake, but the girl car (can't remeber her name at the moment) basicly admited to having a mental brake down because of her fast pace life.

Can't argue with the rest of his list.

5. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Believe me. I've always wanted to modify it, but I wasn't informed enough on the themes of some of the characters. But I will edit your info in just a bit, so thanks for the great descriptions.

6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Wow, I remember this show! Boy was it dark and gory, and awesome. Or at least when I was a kid.

Ok review, entertaining and enjoyable.

7. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Great job. Your explanation really does read like it was written by a member of TGWTG. I would love to see this as the post explanation, although maybe swap someone with Linkara.

8. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Linkara has his own talkback in the Comic Culture board. Plus, his link is there.

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Don't forget Spoony.

10. Drifballoon

Drifballoon BLODIA!

11. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

#11 NewcomerDC, Feb 8, 2011
  12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Well the closest thing right now in modern games to Mutant League is Blood Bowl (which is based on a long time Games Workshop table top game).

There was also a show based on Mechwarrior around the same time (well FASA license), and two shows based on Heavy Gear (Dream Pod 9) a few years later.

Some else remembers Monsters... well the episode about the genetically engineered miner was good.

#12 Anyone00, Feb 8, 2011
  13. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

Yeah, Spidey movies has some really... nitpicky stuff.

I've always wondered how 3 would look like had there been little executive meddling.

14. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

I think Doug hit it right on the head...Spidey 3, for all it's silliness, character overload and excesses, is really no goofier than the two films that preceeded it. It's a disappointing film, but far from the level of genuine superhero sequel atrocities like Superman IV: The Quest For Peace and Batman & Robin. I even prefer it to last summer's Iron Man 2 (at least there was some actual action in Spidey 3 :shrug:). I suppose rebooting the franchise was inevitable even had the third film been better (Maguire and Dunst aren't getting any younger), but I stubbornly profess to liking a lot of Spidey 3 (everything involving the Sandman character was very good, and I wish the film had centered on him entirely). Even the "emo Peter" stuff I sorta liked. It's very silly, but it's a SAM RAIMI film, for goodnesses' sake. No one was complaining about all of the Three Stooges physical schtick in the Evil Dead movies.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Holy crap! They actually got away with characters being ripped apart and pussing out goo like that in a 90's kids cartoon? Okay yeah they were mutants and they did have revival chambers but that's still pretty impressive, espiecally for something based off of a video game. Too bad they couldn't have a good video game based movie even off the cartoon version of the show. Yeah I think it was common in the 80's and 90's for movies based off of kids shows sometimes (espeically by not to highly budgeted companies) to sometimes have "movies" that were really just episodes of the show. For example the She-Ra intro movie was just the first 5 episodes of her show. But stiching together several episodes and calling it a movie... dosen't make a movie, espeically when you have to mix and match the actual epiosdes around. Anyway this was good video though I do like the Familar Faces that are more about a specific character then about a more unknown show. Actually that reminds me of this.

http://thereviewerreport.blip.tv/file/4731551/

This is from an episode of TGWTG, a show that takes various bits from a week of TGWTG updates and mocks them in entertaining ways. The current episode has an interview from CR! where he admits that what some people consider to be obscured characters aren't what he would consider overlooked and try to dial down some of the obscurity sometimes. I mean I do like these episodes that go after shows you probably don't know or (though to be fair I did see that stupid Shisagee show when it aired on Kablam which was Familar Face 49) but the formula IMHO works best when it focuses on a specific character that still allows you to talk about the show as a whole. Then again I don't think there was an obscure character form a football show or show related to football that would of merited enough talking about to count so understandable why you went with this.

I did forget Spoony which was a very stupid oversight on my part. Actually I was going to originally include him but first wanted to include various other members of TGWTG under "Team TGWTG" and "Inked Reality". I also probably should of covered some of the more famous Video Game members (like Lee and Angry Joe) but since we don't really talk much about them here I just decided to mention Blistered Thumbs. Unfouratnley when doing the others I forgot to do Spoony since he fell under Blistered Thumbs so yeah, my bad. Thanks for liking my update guys and thanks Antiyonder for posting it up. I was just getting sick of seeing the same one being used (espiecally the line used for Marzgurl) and wanted to see it changed up after two years.

Thanks for keeping it vague Drifballoon. I think people should click the link and see what it is rather then being told off the bat about it. I also think it's fine to talk about in the posts after it's posted but if we still want to keep it secret I can do that espiecally since I feel like I'm going to go on a long rant about this one.

16. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Surprising Top 11 entry, and quite enjoyable. In hindsight, yeah they're pretty silly, but the points were well made on how these were all rather dumb and what have you. Hard to argue with any of them. Although now it seems like a big tell on a potential entry in Doug's Top 10 movies I love but everyone hates.

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I've never heard of Mutant League. It blows my mind that anyone could get away with the dismemberments I just saw there.

That is also one of the cheapest-looking cartoons I've ever seen. But at least I finally know where TZ member Bones Justice's name came from.

I think Doug is slowly morphing into McNitpick. There's a scary thought. Really, a lot of these didn't bother me at all. I hated #6 a ton, but I hate romance runarounds in all media. I wonder what Doug thinks about WT/WTs in general.

Good for Doug in calling out that "angel" line. Even I think they went too far.

18. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Wow, I was genuinely impressed by this last Nostalgia Critic. I remember having just seen Spider-Man 2, and I was not impressed. I felt it was over-the-top melodrama between two romantic leads with no romantic chemistry and loads and loads of bad, awkward, goofy dialogue. Every single person I said this to flat out said "you're wrong, Spider-Man 2 is the perfect Spider-Man movie and the perfect superhero movie". So I put my feelings aside, walked away, and enjoyed Hellboy instead.

Now this episode of Nostalgia Critic comes out and the Critic perfectly explains EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I HAD WITH SPIDER-MAN 2, straight down to saying the dialogue sounded straight out of a 1960's comic book. I feel vindicated. It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one who felt that way.

19. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

^^^ You really shouldn't have to feel bad for being the only one or one of the few to like something.

I mean heck, I seem to be the only one who found the whole Emo Peter thing to be amusing (aside from hitting MJ of course).

20. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Harry Osborn's butler suddenly telling him two movies two late the truth about his father's death should be on the list. It didn't help that the old timer playing the butler (Bill Paxton's dad) isn't exactly Michael Caine (who also played a butler in a comic book movie, Alfred Pennyworth in Christopher Nolan's Batman films). If you've ever watched the DVD extras, the poor guy has trouble remembering his lines.

Suddenly making Flint Marko responsible for Uncle Ben's murder would've been on my list too. First of all, it was a contrived way to give Flint a personal connection to Peter. It also undermined the "with great power comes great responsibility" message since Sandman went off uncaptured (and presumably still stealing for his sick daughter) at the end.

I don't agree with Doug's sentiments that the Spider-Man movies necessarily have to be really serious and non-goofy. Spider-Man isn't a typically "dark and edgy" hero like Batman, Wolverine, Frank Miller's Daredevil, or the Punisher. Yes, there are "serious" moments like the death of Peter Parker's uncle (the catalyst for him becoming a superhero in the first place) and Doug seems to forgot that Spidey loves to quip and trash talk. It seems like negative feelings steaming from Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin has given certain folks the impression that the only way that a comic book movie can be good is if it's totally straight and hard-edged.

My main problem with Venom wasn't that he wasn't in the movie long enough per se, is that they probably should've saved him for another movie. As a matter of fact, Sam Raimi himself didn't want to use the character in the first place. A long-standing rumor was that Vulture (played by Sir Ben Kingsley) would've been in Venom's place. However, the powers that be at Sony pressured Raimi to include Venom due to fanboy pressure.

Why didn't Doug say anything about the lazy and awfully coincidental (there are a lot of coincidences in Spider-Man 3 by the way) way that the symbiote gets in contact with Peter in the very first place? I do agree with him that John Jameson would've been a more logical choice to ultimately become Venom (he has a legitimate beef with Peter because Mary Jane dumped him at the alter for Peter; they could use the animated interpretation of him getting in contact with the symbiote in space, etc.) than the Eddie Brock that we saw here.

#20 TMC1982, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.