1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 13 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I have a confession to make. I felt sad when Snails died. ....I was fourteen when I saw it in theaters. This was before I started paying more attention to character archetypes and what makes a good or bad story. I wasn't aware of how painfully annoying Marlan Wayne's character was. I was innocent, I tell ya. Innocent! Too naive! Too ignorant! XD

That said, funny review. I haven't laughed at an NC review in a while (most of them were just okay), but the Zelda cameo, the Christmas card, the "up and down" sword sequence (which reminded me of Final Fantasy IX's sword fighting mini-game, although that one was a neat little diversion), and so forth took the icing on the cake.

2. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

Spoony continues his travels through Britannia with Ultima VII: The Black Gate.

Spoony has also revealed his list of upcoming reviews:

Nice. Looking forward to X-2. That one's gonna be fun. :D

3. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Loved the D&D review but am I the only one slightly dissapointed that we didn't get a Jimmy Olsen joke?

4. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Hopefully we'll see more spoony riffs on training videos as well. I saw a Funcoland training video that would be PERFECT for material.

5. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Oh yeah, I forgot whoever played Ridley was also Jimmy Olson on "Lewis and Clarke". Good catch.

Did anyone think the DND movie was supposed to have more scenes? Its like there was a lot missing from the final film. Its like were supposed to see what happened when Ridley and the Mage Girl when they went into the map. Or maybe more scenes with the Elf King. Or a much longer final battle. It just seems like there some footage missing.

6. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

SCAR WAS SHOUTING UNINTELLIGIBLE THINGS. No wonder he gave the dragon a stomachache.

7. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

8. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

I'm surprised he didn't mention that DnD got a less fun but less horrible sequel.

Hm... wonder if there are any hints for next week.

#568 Ookamikun, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  9. Beat

Beat Retired

The Ultima reviews were classic Spoony. Why did he have to introduce a storyline into them too? They've been going just fine.

10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Doug Walker gives us another video this week. This time it's the Top Ten Films He Hates That Everyone Else seems to love.

Oh and next week he's going to do the Top 10 Movies he likes that everyone else hated so watch out for that.

11. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

Can you put a Link, I suck at finding them haha.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

10: Cars: Disagreed, though there are definitely other Pixar films I like more than it.
    9: Gladiator: Agreed, though is Gladiator even that acclaimed anymore? I think that was more of a film which got a lot of attention back in 2000-2001, but the hype wore off over time.
    8: American Pie: Agreed. I've always hated this movie.
    7: Avatar: Haven't seen it all (only about half an hour on TV while on vacation), but what I did see didn't really grab me. Maybe it would've been different if I had seen it on the big screen in 3D, but to that I say, a movie should be good both on the big and small screen.
    6: With Honors: ...Haven't even heard of this. Is it really loved by everyone? It wouldn't surprise me if few have heard of it, at least compared to the other movies on the list.
    5: Signs: ...Also haven't seen this. (ducks)
    4: Nell: And, another I haven't seen.
    3: Matilda: I think we watched this in school in conjunction with reading the book. Don't really remember much of it.
    2: District 9: Was one of the few who missed this in theaters.
    1: Moulin Rouge: Haven't seen it.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay....when he was talking about Matilda and complaining about the dark stuff, I wanted to yell at him, "THE BOOK'S BY ROALD DAHL; WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING, MOTHER GOOSE??" The spiked torture closet, the fat kid being forced to eat all the cake....that's all from the book. Your real beef is with Dahl, Doug.

14. CraZness

CraZness Member

Where's the link for this?

15. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

16. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

10: Cars: I enjoy it. It's a pleasant, happy little movie that brings an interesting romantic angle to the history of American motoring. I can see Doug's points, though. But, I was baffled when they announced the sequel. Why? It's a self-contained story, there's nothing more that's needed. The shorts are fine, but a whole sequel is pushing it.

9: Gladiator: I need to see it again, it's been too long.

8: American Pie: I don't know how to feel about it. It's never been that amazing of a movie to me, and I mostly lament its existence anymore due to the god awful sequels.

7: Avatar: I want to call it a guilty pleasure, as Doug suggested, but I can't see myself watching it ever again even for the visuals or action scenes. It's so full of disappointment that it's not worth it and I tend to blank out during the second hour.

6: With Honors: Never heard of it before now.

5: Signs: I've never understood how anyone can even laugh at this movie. The laughing should have been done by whoever read the script as Shyamalan hung his head in shame and was never to be heard of again.

4: Nell: Never heard of it before now.

3: Matilda: I tried to watch it once and just didn't care.

2: District 9: Like Cars (odd comparison), I see Doug's points though I enjoyed the movie. At the very least, its special effects were some fantastic work.

1: Moulin Rouge: I like it, that's about all I really feel the need to say.

17. Beat

Beat Retired

It's still considered one of Crowe's best films since it won the Oscar for Best Picture (beating both Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Traffic) and Entertainment Weekly put it on its "Best of the Decade" list. I loved it and quite frankily disagree with Doug completely. Then again, I disagree with his hate for District 9 and to a lesser degree Avatar.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've only seen two of the movies on his list. With Cars, I'm not sure if it's really loved, at least based on some online discussions I've participated and read, since I've seen more complains about it, including what Doug said, than praises for it. I could see where Dough was coming from with how the characters could have been race car drivers and it would have been the same. Personally, I think it's an enjoyable movie, even though the story and most of the characters, if not all, are pretty generic. I'm still kind of surprised that they're making a sequel too, even though the sales from the merchandise are definitely a factor in making that movie, but maybe they'll be able to improve on the story and provide more interesting characters, if they do have new characters, or add more depth to the current cast.

As for Matilda, I thought that was a cute movie. I can understand his issues with it, especially with how cruel all of the adults except for Miss Honey were and none of them really had redeeming qualities, except for maybe Matilda's parents for signing her adoption papers at the end of the film. Even when I watched it a few weeks ago, I kept on thinking why the villain was fired right away for abusing the students, but I understand it was like that in the book as well. Still, it's kind of fun movie. I'm not sure if I'd call it a guilty pleasure since I don't feel guilty for liking the movie. Although, his reasons for disliking the movie as well as his reactions to some of the scenes made me think it would be kind of interesting to see him review the movie as the NC. Even though there were a lot of people who didn't really want it on the list before, it might be kind of worth it to see his extreme reactions to the dark-tone of the movie and there might be some really funny jokes here and there with how Matilda develops psychic powers and what she uses them for. I don't think it's a terrible movie, but I can understand where Doug is coming from with his reasons.

All of the other ones I've never seen, so I can't comment on them. His reactions to some his issues with the top five movies on this list were pretty funny though. It should be interesting to see what movies he likes, yet other people dislike, next week.

19. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I mostly agree with both Avatar and Cars. The latter I do consider my least favorite Pixar film. I never catered to it, I never cared for it, and I'm not so sure why I consider it so average. Did I feel it lacked the heart of other Pixar movies, did I feel it was most shallow? I'm not too sure and maybe I'll rewatch it one day to make sure, but while I don't think it's terrible, I do think it's "eh".

Avatar possesses a very cliche story and the only main draw is to watch the special effects on theaters. The impact doesn't have the same feel on a tiny television screen and after that major loss, you get a story that you've seen done plenty of times before. And I would have been relatively fine (I may not have liked it, but I would have just shrugged it off as forgettable) if not for the last hour or so where I felt they really hammered the environmentalist message. Like driving a nail over and over. I couldn't stand the story after.

The only other films I watched are Gladiator, Matilda, and Moulin Rouge. Gladiator I can only shrug at because I only watched it...twice or so and largely have no opinion about it. The film was okay, it was just there. *shrugs*

Matilda I find to be a nice, enjoyable film, but nothing special. I think Doug is missing the point of the "dark" employed in the film (and by extension, the book). The idea of Trunchbull pulling off these seemingly impossible acts of child abuse is that it's so over the top that no adults are ever going to believe their kids when they tell them what happens. This is a story purely through the eyes of a little child and how everything is exaggerated. I didn't think it was mean-spirited because much of Trunchbull's action were really that absurd. In fact, her mannerisms sounds like something a child would write if s/he was in charge of the novel/movie...

As for Moulin Rouge!, all I can say is I love the movie. Yes, he is right, it is the cliche forbidden love, but unlike Avatar, the story enticed me because everything about the movie did. It was flashy, it was loud, garish, magical in a sense. And even than, the movie was smart enough to crash and burn, that there's consequences to everything which fuels my love for bittersweet endings (Christine lost his love, yes, but he's moving on in a sense by writing their story). Sure, the Bohemians emphasis freedom and love over and over, but it has this weird dream-like state that I enjoy. Also, I really do love the rearrangement of various songs into their own twist. Moulin Rouge! is one of the few soundtracks I still listen to on a daily basis. So yeah, this may be one of the few times where I prefer the flash over substance, but I can't ever hate this movie.

20. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Without Honors is easilly the weirdest choice for a list the purports to be about movies "everyone else" likes but Doug, as the film made no money when it was released and I don't believe I've heard a single, solitary reference to it until this very night. :confused: The other films at least have their devotees and/or made money, but Without Honors? Why not Threesome or something?

Also enjoyed Doug calling out "Moaning Woman", the maddening film music cliche with vocal wailing of indeterminate ethnic origins that cues up during the inevitable slo-mo shots during battle sequences to clue the viewer in to the horrors of war. :shrug: Gladiator really kicked off this trend, and it's choked the life out of film music ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.