1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 12 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

2. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

#582 Chaotix12345, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh Since Chaotix12345 was forced to group his reviews together I don't think anyone saw him post the review for "Ernest Scared Stupid" so I'm going to do that now, as well as my stupid... I mean uh honest review.

http://nostalgiacritic.blip.tv/file/4209012/

4. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I've never seen Ernest Scared Stupid but man it looked terrible. I'm guessing that the failure in the box office lead the series to home video? I don't know what was with the mother and daughter who were at each other's cases regarding the silly Halloween costumes only for them to make up in two seconds flat. Most disagreements aren't resolved that fast. Also, I agree on NC's point about the blond girl in red. Why did she randomly kiss the boy on the cheek. A nice gesture yes but there was no lead in to a possible puppy dog romance.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Ernest Scared Stupid was pretty good. There were some nice funny moments. My favorites were NC's reactions to Ernest's multiple personalities, wondering if the kid was just standing there the whole time as he changed outfits, punching the camera while saying "That's not funny!," the troll references, Eartha Kit and Ernest being in a competition for mugging the camera, the whole commercial spoof on milk protecting you from evil creatures, the random kiss scene, "Well that's just silly," the kids having to suffer psychological trauma as they adjust back into life and his reaction to the little dog living after all. I'm still happy when any dog lives in any movie, regardless of their quality. Besides that, it looked like an adorable puppy dog.

I did agree with him at the end where this movie felt like they just threw together all of the typical Halloween movie for kids stuff into it without trying to be a bit more creative with it or having fun with like with the Christmas movie. There were quite a few forced reactions and bad transitions too based on what we saw here. There were some good moments throughout the review, so I think it was a pretty solid start to the Nostalgia-Ween month.

6. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

Heh, Nasty McNitpick cameo XD

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My thoughts on the Ernest Scared Stupid review...

"Not even milk can stop me now!" :evil: lol

Never seen the movie and thanks to this review I'll know not to bother watching it now. Good to hear this month is reserved to Halloween themed movies. Should be fun. Anyone know what he'll review next?

As for the review itself, my favorite scenes were the prototypes for Bulk and Skull, the "it's in the bed" and "it's behind you" bits, the fact that the troll was stopped in the past with only a net and today he's invincible, and how random the girl kissing the boy and the mother/daughter fight were. The milk fight at the end of the movie was interesting.

Also, does anyone else think a scene with Vash the Stampede from Trigun saying "Love & Peace" would have worked at the end of the movie, with all the talk about unconditional love?:D

8. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

It's in the bed. It's in the bed. It's in the bed. It's in the bed. :D

9. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

10. CR!

CR! New Member

Hello everyone...

Hey, this is CR! from over at TGWTG.

I've been invited a couple of times to post some video updates here. So I've got a new familiar shorts featuring Will Vinton's Claymation Comedy of Horrors

As for the other contributers: I've been really enjoying the seasonal themed stuff. I really enjoyed the Critic's Ernest Scared Stupied Review

It's actually a movie I still like to watch today, if just for the spooky fun. but he did a great job picking out the really blatently bad stuff. To bad he missed out on a "I've been defeated by the power of Love" joke. I guess he might of been sick of it. But if it were me, i would have replaced that score for the Troll dancing scene with Hewie Lewis' "Power of Love" and just as the troll explodes, it ends on a big "...THAT'S THE POWER OF LOVE!"

As for Eartha Kitt, I wanted to say she had a bit of a revival in her career as the voice actress. I was going to say nerdy kids were aroused by her as cat women, then she got old (which is the natural order), then a much smaller group of nerd kids were aroused again when she started playing Queen Vexus on MLAATR:

[​IMG]

Just had to point that out.

11. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

Awesome! A new TGWTG member on here. Welcome, CR! Good to have you here! I really enjoy your FF videos and I can't wait until your next Halloween episode. I assume that elixer might be planting a future threat? ;)

12. CR!

CR! New Member

Correct. If all goes as played, there going to be something in each epidose that happens that leads into the next one all month long.

13. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

Sounds great! I can't wait to see what's in store. :D

14. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

You forgot about the kids who were aroused by her playing Yzma in The Emperor's New Groove.
    [​IMG]

:D

Sorry for grossing everyone out...

15. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Cheap-cheap-cheap-cheap...

...Shock-shock-shock-shock...

16. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well, Earnest was a step up from last week Pebble and the Penguin review. Good laughs were had in it. Guess LOVE truly is the most powerful element, but then again, I've been playing a lot of Mother 3 to learn that you shouldn't take love lightly. I thought it was interesting to see another appearance of Mr. McNitpick.

17. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I honestly was really scared by the trolls in Earnest Scared Stupid back when I was a kid. At that point in my life, I really hadn't been exposed to any scary movies (unless you count E.T. and some of the darker moments in Disney's animated films). I kinda disliked how the Critic brushed them off as stupid. Funny that the way they die (right down to the weird tornado-like spinning animation effects) is highly reminiscent Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which also featured creature effects from the Chiodo brothers.

And I loved the Claymation halloween special. I fondly remember watching on the Disney Channel back around 1995. I haven't thought about too often in a long time. Thanks for reminding me of it, CR. On a semi-related note, it's pretty unfortunate that Will Vinton was eventually let go from the company that bears his own name (Vinton Studios was eventually renamed LAIKA and went on to make Henry Selick's Coraline movie).

18. garfield15

"I can't believe this is happening"
    "Then I bet you weren't expecting this (lifts dress)"
    "*screams*"
    "Ah-HA! (it's a knife)"
    "Oh good, whew..."

Man that part was always funny.

19. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I barely remember Ernest Scared Stupid.

The power of love...what a cop-out.

20. garfield15

That reminds me, he missed a chance to do "DRAT! I've been defeated by the Power of Love!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.