1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 12 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that was a pretty funny review for The Pebble and the Penguin. I did enjoy his reactions to the nonsensical songs, especially with the West Ice Story joke and the over the top reaction to the buddy song, the "I came to lose my virginity" line and the final image of the Penguin from Batman Returns staring with Pebbles from The Flintstones. Based on what I remember from seeing the whole movie and this review, I agreed with NC's statement that this is the least worst out of all of Don Bluth's bad films. Sure, it's pretty cliched, there are quite a few songs here and most of the characters don't seem that interesting, but I thought it was kind of cute and fun when I first saw it. There are better movies for kids out there, but I still think that this one is fairly decent at least.

As for Anastasia, I never really understood the immense dislike for the movie that I've often heard about. After looking that Nostalgia Chick's review of it, the flaws are more visible, especially copying the Disney Princess kind of story, but I remember enjoying it whenever I watched it. I'm not sure if I watched it in theaters, but I definitely saw it a couple of times on Cartoon Network at least. It was a fun story and most of the songs were nice too.

I actually enjoyed Todd's review for Hannha Montana the movie. His reaction and sarcastic tone made quite a few hilarious moments. I know that the blond wig is suppose to be like Clark Kent's glasses, but at least Clark and Superman don't act and possibly sound exactly the same. I didn't quite understand his hatred towards the actor who plays Oliver, especially since I like his voice acting work on Phineas and Ferb and I thought he did a pretty decent job in Hatching Pete, but I just went with it. My other favorite moments were when he complained that the mall would actually help their community financially, his reaction to that dance number, Lilly being able to pass herself as Hannah Montana with just the wig and realizing the psychological ramifications of leading this double life.

I was also kind of surprised with the way they handled the ending. After going through an on-stage emotional break-down, revealing her secret to practically the world, given that there were reporters and probably the whole town there, and singing the song that she worked on, the whole community wanted Miley to keep being Hannah. That did feel like they valued her fake identity more than her true one. I'm sure it was just a way to keep the idea of a fourth season possible for the TV series since I don't think it was renewed before the movie came out, but that's still a pretty forced way to keep that possibility open. Besides, Miley having to deal with not having that secret life might have worked for a fourth season, but I've never watched much of the show, so I'm not completely sure about that.

2. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

3. Senshi Mizaka

Senshi Mizaka Member

It's actually Bluth's first independent project that he worked on after he left Disney, back in 1979, I believe. It wasn't exactly a feature film, but a 30 minute short that aired as a Christmas special, about a cat named Banjo who runs away from the farm he lives on, to Salt Lake City.

Anyway, about The Pebble and the Penguin, I saw bits and pieces of it when I was a kid, so I don't remember much about it. It doesn't look nearly as awful as A Troll In Central Park, but I still don't think I'd enjoy it.

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

"Rocko...there's something you should know."
    NC: "Your Modern Life is no longer in reruns."

I was waiting for him to reference that.

5. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I tried that stuff at a Peruvian restaurant in a mall in Jacksonville. I liked it.

Another one I like is Sangria Señorial. I wonder what he'd think of that.

6. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I thought the review of the Pebble and the Penguin was OK, not the greatest, but still got a few laughs out of me. Though from watching the review, it did seem like it was semi-watchable compared to the other movies Don Bluth made, and it went to the point that I felt like going over to my library's kids DVD section to see if they had it.

7. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

I'm kinda disappointed in this Pebble and the Penguin review in some way, especially because I've seen it meself. Most of it was decent but I really wondered why Doug left out these moments for perfect fodder:

-How during a sing along Rocko's negative comments and such actually have a negative physical effect on Hubie.
    -How it all became an awful "it's not the pebble it's the penguin" finale which kinda makes his quest rather pointless.
    -How Hubie, on his quest to lose his virginity, has multiple kids since penguin condoms weren't invented. This is especially strange since the Critic just glossed over it like he did. Felt kinda irresponsible on his part, imho.

8. Maenos

Maenos Please wait for me

Is Inca Kola that rare here in the states?

Every single Giant (and Wegmans, too) in the DC area tends to have it in stock. Never thought it was that rare.

Do enjoy it, though. And yeah, bubblegum is exactly how it tastes. Its...a bit odd, admittedly.

9. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Must have to do with the market. The aforementioned mall in Jacksonville seemed to have more Hispanics and blacks than white. (That Peruvian couple who told me all about Inca Kola was really friendly, by the way.)

The area around Bay City is pretty good with ethnic foods; both of the Meijer stores there (Meijer is a supercenter format just like Walmart, only not as corporate) have a whole aisle's worth. I know I can easily find Jarritos, Sangria Señorial, etc. but not Inca Kola there — even the supermarket in Standish, about 20 minutes north of Bay City, has about half an aisle dedicated to the same stuff. My theory is that, because Bay City is surrounded by farms, they must have a major immigrant population.

(Another odd thing I saw in the supermarket in Standish: a fat lady in a motorized wheelchair who wasn't wearing pants.)

10. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

11. Eleanor Hugbees

I used to watch Pebble and the Penguin religiously as a kid. What the hell was Drake? He doesn't look like a penguin in the slightest. Was he apart the same experiment as the seal? Ew

Also, I think Toddintheshadows is my favorite person on the site next to the Nostalgia Critic. While I don't see eye to eye with him on everything (I vividly remember "Shake you Down" on radio stations and i'm younger than him. Also, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam is classic 80's cheese.:p ), it's really refreshing to see someone that doesn't completely hate everything pop. He also makes really excellent points 9/10.

12. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

Here's a poster I made for one of my favorite lines from this review:

[​IMG]

:p

13. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

15. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

16. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

17. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Best example of short, but sweet. Almost every minute had me laughing with jokes like:

- The Bully looking like a 40 year old.
    - All my old man ever gave me was a licking, and the response by Doug and crew.
    - Refering to that kid as a white Urkel.
    - Seriously? Chick Allen?:p
    - Leave it to Gilligan.
    - While Chick's scheme is juvenile, I do agree that the movie over exaggerated the severity of it.

18. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I have a theory that the scriptwriter meant to type "Chuck" and accidentally hit the I key instead of the U.

19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Finally saw the review of Pound Puppies movies. Wow, the premise was so stupid, I would had shut off the review. Good, but not one of the best. NC was funny, but the movie itself almost drove me mad.

Bosch is one of my favorite painters, his most famous work being very surreal for a 15th Century painting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.