1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 12 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies (even if they're good, decent, so-so), picks a fight with a game reviewing icon and still has time to make movies that are 5 seconds (1 minute) long!

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man.

While she didn't make it as a Nostalgia Chick, she reviews animation, video games and japanese type entertainment. Those who think that "Men Are From Marz, Women Are From Venus", Marzgirl would like to have a word with them.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com.

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

2. Acidonia

Acidonia Master of Monsters

Square Enix do no one is alowed on You Tube to post the Intro Movie or ending to Final Fantasy Disidia although this only seem to be the Case for the their Newest games and just Final Fantasy ones.

They went that far on some Concert Footage of a orcestra playing Video Game Music TheFinal Fantasy part (Non fan made Video as well) they removed the Video just to show some Final Fantasy Fan art in its place because in the Back ground Random Cg Scenes from the games was playing.

They also threat fan sites for posting Screen shots of Final Fantasy games even when the games out in Every Country Legaly to buy.

No other Video game company does this just Square Enix and they only started doing this a few years back.

3. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

According to a TGWTG's poster:
    Seems like he's talking about NC and Lupa to me.

4. Taekmkm

Taekmkm Ribbit

That's pretty bad for the others if you think about it. All the other people combined only bring about 2-400,000 viewers? I mean, that's a lot of people not Doug or his other personas.

5. Cabel

Cabel Member

6. Barroll Roll

Barroll Roll Member

That link is about a year old, but it isn't that suprising.

I'm reposting something i posted in Talkback 11 because i posted it last night and is worth discussion.

Fair Use

1. The Room is a very little known movie outside of Hollywood and MST3K Fans. It has never had a wide release in theaters, though it continues to screen at midnight in some select cities. While the movie is available on DVD, its is unavailable to rent through Blockbuster and very few stores actually sell the movie in store.

2. Considering the cult following his movie has received, from numerous interviews to receiving a rifftrax from MST3K alums to getting his movie licensed for TV via Adult Swim, i'm pretty sure he has benefited from criticism of his movie.

3. The review of 'The Room' is approximately 28 minutes and 6 seconds long. Roughly half the video consists of footage of The Critic giving commentary infront of a camera, the 'Back to the Future' elements, and re-using clips from additional media (including clips of The Room). The remaining portion of the video re-uses clips straight from 'The Room'. However, The Critic is often talking over the video with his commentary or playing sound effects or other media over the movie. The use of actual video from the movie is probably why reviews like The Critic's get shut down, while the rifftrax of 'The Room' continues to be in the Top 10 most sold rifftrax each week because it does not use any elements of Wiseau's production (but basically has the same effect as The Critic by making jokes about the film).

4. This is probably a bigger reason than you think.

These numbers can only be growing (as evidenced by Doug's new home at the end of the video). I doubt this is the main reason for the video being taken down, but it is certainly something to think about.

In conclusion, Wiseau does actually sort of have a case against the NC. Is it a very good one? Not really, considering he allows Adult Swim to air his movie as its yearly April Fool's joke two years running. But nevertheless, he does have a case. I'm not sure we'll ever see the video in its original form ever again on tgwtg.com, but most likely will be edited around similar to what the Angry Video Game Nerd had to do for his review of Super Mario Bros. 3 when he put that out on DVD (where he was forced to remove footage of The Wizard). I almost can't really blame Wiseau, who is probably butthurt over the reaction to his movie, and probably wants retribution for the suffering he caused for making such a bad movie. However, i believe as someone who has seen the film in full, that Wiseau owes me a memory wipe and two hours of my life back for the pain and suffering i went through watching his film. I almost laughed so hard i coughed up a lung.

7. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

8. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

9. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

First of all, let's just remember the magic of archives (Thanks Tae!)

Second, that was a Crowning Moment of absolute Awesome for the NC. Fantastic parody. I think out of that entire video, the phone call to the random guy was the best.
    "What the hell is The Room?"
    "Hahaha. What a funny story Mark."
    "What the hell are you talking about?"

10. Tomato Surprise

Tomato Surprise Uni-Baby Will Save Us All!

Tommy Wiseau, you have officially been eviscerated. This fiasco was ALL worth it for this. BEST. TGWTG. VIDEO. EVER. By far. So snide and leering.

Tomato

11. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

No, no Wiseau, as your dreadful movie said: three is a crowd.;) Hope other producers don't follow suit and demand Doug remove his other videos. Oh, and that Tommy Wiseau Show was HILARIOUS, although he could get in trouble for that. Hope Doug fights it.

12. Beat

Beat Retired

Well, the Critic pointed it all out. Not only is it CLEARLY under Fair Use, but they were telling people to go see the movie. That's publicity!

Well, at least we got this parody.

13. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know though Melvin Brother and the Joker and Emo Jones failed, I kind of actually want to see more of the Tommy Wiseau show. I don't know what it would be about exactly but seeing NC acting as Tommy Wiseau is pretty good, especially how he laughed over someone at the phone and called himself the legendary Tommy Wiseau and the always classic "you're tearing me apart" scene. I also really liked NC moking the guy from the company John as being a loud whiny jerk who only cared about the money... I mean preserving the dignity of Tommy's name. Heh now I want to at least see Obscurus Lupa follow suit, since in her Room review she had her boyfriend play Tommy Wiseau for a scene. Should do it again as she asks him what happened and then we have another appearence of the buisness guy. Still good parody. Though does that mean we're not going to get an NC review this week? Are they being pushed back a week or something? Relaly that should of been clarified.

14. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

Huh, guess I was wrong before.

But still, this raises two questions:

1. Why DID Wiseau and his studio issue the copywright notice? He has no problem with people heckling his film at the screenings it actually has, so why would it be a problem if it's on the internet? Plus, how did they even know about Doug and TGWTG.com anyway? Did they just randomly decide to Google themselves to see if more people were talking about The Room? I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a whistle-blower somewhere......

2. As the review is protected under Fair Use/Satire parody clause, why did they have to take down the video? Wiseau and his studio are so obscure and hardly have anything to their name (The Room was made on a measly 7 million dollar budget.). Couldn't they have just said no and let the video stay?

Anyway, that parody was funny and I liked it but, does this mean no review this week? I mean, I understand the Critic calling them out like he did YouTube a while back, but can't they still release the episode scheduled this week? I sure hope it gets released later. :sad:

15. garfield15

I felt this way too, but I really think that this works better as a one-shot. While it would be hilarious to see more of the legendary Tommy Wiseau, this just gives that one-hit KO of laughter and shouldn't really be more than that.

16. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

As expected, it's a copyright thing.

It wouldn't be a while til many reviews are taken down.

17. garfield15

No, I think this is just a special case cause the man can't take satire.

18. Barroll Roll

Barroll Roll Member

The movie studios have every right to take the NC's reviews down because he does use the actual footage from movies. However, he brings publicity to the films, causing an uptick in sales. Combined with this fact and he still is pretty obscure, most studios will not care enough to shut him down. Wiseau Studios on the other hand....

Although a pretty poor impression of Wiseau, the parody was well written and deserves a 'dude you got balls award' for refusing to be tight lipped on the situation

19. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Except that parody/satire is fair use of copyrighted footage.

20. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

By the way, does this mean the War of the Worlds comparison is pushed to next week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.