1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 10 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Yeah, that last part really did end up creepier than it was (which was creepy to begin with) because of the music.

Another part where the music works was with those violinists because I didn't even know what the music was leading up to.

2. Psychopulse

Psychopulse Parting is such sweet sorrow

Wow, yet another film I'm glad I never saw. This is just awful on so many levels...

However, I have an issue with his King Kong Old vs. New. For one, regarding the effects for the old movie, they used WIRES. Granted, you need to look closely, but they used wires. I also thought that the old Kong looks too goofy and not really threatening.

3. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

According to Wikipedia's entry on this film, some critics have viewed this movie not as a comedy like it was apparently marketed, but as a serious psychological study on the psyche. I'm not suggesting reading too deeply into the film like NC and the gang were sarcastically doing in that one scene, but the analysis is interesting to ponder nonetheless, even if the filmmakers themselves didn't think too deeply about any of it. In any case, Fred is incredibly annoying and regardless of intent, that's a turn-off, man.

My favorite parts of the review was the goofy face and the horse noise over it, as well as NC imitating Lizzie laughing at the cobwebs joke Fred made about Lizzie's mom.

5. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Pretty good review. Nothing TOO amazing (or at least that was the feeling I felt about it), but good nonetheless. Loved the psychoanalysis of Fred having imaginary friends, the well-placed music, and I got a laugh out of the NC's repetition of 'no' until his disposition disintegrates.

I'm so glad I didn't watch this movie back in the day.

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

On the scene that NC and the others are anaylzing: the idea of that scene is not rocket science here.

Basically, the scene involves Phoebe Cates' character in the same waiting room with children who, like her, also have imaginary friends, all of whom are chums of Drop Dead Fred. The reason why Phoebe Cates' character can't see the others is because they can only be seen by either other imaginary friends or the respective kid that each friend is assigned to.

Hence, the scene (and the final scene) is meant to expand on how the world of imaginary friends works, in which Fred as his buds are assigned different kids to serve as their imaginary friend until they reach a point where they're not needed anymore and thus move on to the next client a la Mary Poppins.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Fred was horrible. It's like someone threw Willy Wonka, The Mad Hatter, The Great Gazoo and every comedian associated with Monty Python in a blender and forced the resulting abomination to be as grating as possible.

This review was very good. NC's incredulous string of no's was great as was the The annoying-o-meter. One for the books.

Also, I anyone else starting to just get a little peeved with sections of the Nostalgia Critic's fanbase? They're really starting to ruin the reviews for me.

8. Taekmkm

Taekmkm Ribbit

Fangirls always ruin everything.

9. Animationerd

Animationerd Sweet Dreams LOL

I blame Twilight

10. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

It's not just fangirls. It's large sections of the fanbase in general. Everything NC does is nitpicked to no end, and I'm really starting to get annoyed by it.

11. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

Fangirls, what??? :confused: Am I missing something? What's going on the site?

Anyway, I remember seeing the previews for Drop Dead Fred when I was little, and even then I thought the movie seemed goofy and weird. But, MAN I had idea how much! :eek:

I don't know what it was with the late 80s/early 90s, but there were a lot of oddball movies that came out then. Like Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird, Little Monsters; all of which would make good Nostagia Critic episodes.

12. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I had a nightmare two nights ago resembling this movie.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you think this was a response to the success of Beetlejuice? It sure looks like it.

It's a movie based around a supernatural, disturbing, cackling prankster with crazy hair. What else could they be copying? In fact I'm willing to bet that's why the word "dead" is in his name.

Whoever this irritating British clown is, though, he's so not Keaton.

14. Beat

Beat Retired

But Beetlejuice, at least in the film, was a jerk. Utterly hilarious (Keaton was a comedic actor before he was Batman after all) but a jerk. You cannot convince me Fred is anything less than evil and malicious. Look at him. The girl at the end is a classic downer ending in a horror film where they find out Freddy's still alive.

15. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

I came to that conclusion, too. In fact, I'd go as far as that's the only way this movie's existence makes any sense.

16. Behonkiss

Behonkiss Just put an X here and here...

I wasn't expecting to care for the Drop Dead Fred review because I'd never seen the movie and its premise sounded dull, but wow. That movie's so messed up that it makes for comedy gold when mocked.

Not directly related to TGWTG itself, but a bunch of its forum members who do reviews independently have teamed up to review all the Land Before Time movies together. There's a list of the people doing it along with the finished episodes here, and if you know your Toon Zone members, there may be one you recognize.
    http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16457

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a hilarious review. I never heard of this movie, but I can probably guess why that's the case. My favorite parts were pointing out how insane everyone is in this movie, the long 'no' gag, the annoying meter and adding the horror music. It especially made the violin and ending scenes extremely creepy. The movie itself is just so creepy.

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

If you mean my comments on the "waiting room" scene, I was just pointing out what was going on in that scene (as a way to clear up why Fred can only see the other "imaginary friends").

19. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yeah. Its Rik Mayall. "Drop Dead Fred" aside, Keaton is nothing compared to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.