1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 10 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

It's kida' sad that to this day the best live action portrayal of Chun Li is still Jackie Chan's.

And barehanded C-section: not even Mortal Kombat would cross that line.

Gen was an 80+ year old fairly amoral assassin and a bloodknight searching for a worthy opponent that happened to be friends with Chun Li's father, not an international vigilante.

Crimson Viper in Street Fighter IV is actually an undercover CIA agent named Maya: so basically Mia=C. Viper

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

If that was the intention, then it's only fitting that Mia didn't look or act anything like Crimson Viper, nor did she have any impact on the story whatsoever. If Mia had been utilized any less in the film, she could've phoned her lines in.

I mean, all the money and time that went into making this motion picture, and not a single person involved said, "You know, we could just make Chun-Li the Interpol agent instead of creating a new character for this role." That's only what she is in the video game that inspired this turkey.

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Unrepentant Hippie

I love the Nostalgia Critic. I think he's extremely funny, and has excellent timing. Even when he's panning a movie I enjoy (Space Jam, Bebe's Kids, and The Pagemaster come to mind), he's so entertaining about it that its hard not to find it funny.

As for the Nostalgia Chick, I really don't find her all that funny. It's really hard to explain why. She just doesn't seem to have the same wit and timing that her male counterpart has. Just my opinion, though....

4. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

She's not laugh out loud and more on analysis, much like a "true" critic.

5. Beat

Beat Retired

The problem is she lacks the points and insight half the time to be a true critic. Remember the big Transformers review? It was essentially a bashing of the franchise with no analysis or reason. And it wasn't funny except for the Critic sections.

6. GoldTyphlosion

GoldTyphlosion Hahahaha

I find the support characters a lot more funnier than her. The part with her friend playing with the My Little Ponies had me bursting out in laughter because of how much I am reminded of my childhood.

7. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

What are you talking about? She didn't bash the franchise - in fact she said it was quite good. She was referring to the ANIMATED MOVIE only. She gave proper pointers about the franchise, what they really are, etc. Oh you mean the Michael Bay movie? She was spot on with her criticism.

I'm a male and I can understand her complaints. Hell, I don't believe that "she's a girl she wouldn't know argument".

8. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I'm not the biggest Street Fighter expert out there, but I think one key issue pertaining the two live-action films (the 1994 one and The Legend of Chun-Li) is that both don't try to keep things simple. How hard is it to just make an action-packed, off-the-wall tournament style movie? We don't need some elaborate backstory of Chun-Li.

9. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Wing Commander is nothing short of a disaster that I don't feel Chris Roberts can adequately apologize for. I mean the guy who created the game completely screws up the backstory of said game. As Spooney says, there were no pilgrims in the original game. Instead we had the "Society of Mandarins" who only played a role in an expansion pack to Wing Commander II (my least favorite of the series). The nationalities are all wrong, Bossman is dead already (he's actually a wingman of yours in the first game), David Warner is no Malcolm McDowell, and Matthew Lillard. Nothing less than a trainwreck and a horrible way for the franchise to go out on.

11. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Spoony's review of Wing Commander is hilarious and scathing, and more fun than his last few videos. While not as bad as Battlefield Earth, WC still is a terrible failure of an adaptation. Every mistake that could be made was made.

Points to the SpoonyOne to point out the obvious scientific errors. Its one thing to add sound effects in space. But to treat it literally is just foolish.

Nice to see Burton's back. It just wasn't the same without his cold stare.

12. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tell me Critic, how do you spell Phoebe? Honestly why couldn't he pronounce that:p

13. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

So that was Drop Dead Fred, huh? For some reason I didn't expect it to be so... Obnoxious.

Glad to see a new Critic review. Feels like it's been too long.

14. Animationerd

Animationerd Sweet Dreams LOL

Funny thing is that from the trailer, it looked like an average kids movie with a little bit of an imagination. But from what NC pointed out:eek: oh man!!!

My favorite bits are: The long 'no' gag, the annoying meter, phoebes goofy face.

Cant wait for the 2nd anniversery special.

15. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

As usual, when the Critic starts a review in a different way than usual, it's bound to be a good one. I thought his "Dr. NC" motif was just a one-shot moment but it fit in so well with how insane everybody in this movie is. Seriously, he was dead on with the amount of crazy going on in this.

The long No gag went for too long at first but then when he couldn't even get the "no" out it got really funny. As well as the "alternate music." I too am convinced this was most likely a horror movie commissioned to be a children's comedy.

Who was the new girl in the group?

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I saw Drop Dead Fred years ago; I sat through it mainly because Rik Mayall was in it (I'm a huge Young Ones fan). But not even TV's Rick could save this movie. Seeing this review only served to remind me what an utter mess this film was. Indeed, everybody in it seemed to be insane.

17. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Dang. That horror music NC used for certain parts of Drop Dead Fred are very effective. I can't be the only one who felt devil horns should have been sprouting from that little girl at the end of the film because of it.

18. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

Err...Doug, it's pronounced "fee-bee". The "o" is silent.

You're on your own with "Mayall", though. I love The Young Ones, and even though I eventually learned how to say "Alexei", even I don't know how to say that.

Loved the Omen soundtrack bits.

#599 Kitschensyngk, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  19. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

I never always understand why people like to present these sort of things as "charming" or "cute".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.