1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 10 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies (even if they're good, decent, so-so), picks a fight with a game reviewing icon and still has time to make movies that are 5 seconds (1 minute) long!

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man.

While she didn't make it as a Nostalgia Chick, she reviews animation, video games and japanese type entertainment. Those who think that "Men Are From Marz, Women Are From Venus", Marzgirl would like to have a word with them.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com.

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

2. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Mod Warning: Just a reminder. One word posts are not cute or productive. Anyone who responds in this manner gets their post deleted and an infraction.

3. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Huh... that Dragonheart review wasn't half bad. I was kindof expecting Doug to touch it, but this one will do. It wasn't so over-the-top with the constant use of some gag like the Chick's last review, but it was for the majority part engaging and talks and jabs about the movie fairly well.

I should remember the term LINETS for the future though. Interesting acronym.

4. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

I see LINETS becoming a new TV trope.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The little dragon in the gun barrel thing was funny. Just the absurdity that a dragon would need a gun is funny. I kinda like Dragonheart but I think she's right with her critisims and why the movie just barely works( Connery ).

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw Dragonheart a few months ago and I thought that it was decent at best. Connery as Draco worked well, as did the CGI for Draco, but I agreed that the story wasn't handled that well. It's like they went from being a buddy movie to a dramatic battle movie throughout most of the movie, the woman did feel fairly useless to the story, or as Nostalgia Chick said, the story would have been the same without her and not that many characters stand out, aside from Draco. I think that this movie is a bit better than the movie adaptation of Eragon, if only because Draco felt like a cooler character than Saphira was in that movie.

7. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

Pimpdragon!

On a related note, I thought she was fairly accurate with the movie - the only good thing about that is Sean Connery. Heh, suddenly I thought it's the same thing with League of Extra-Ordinary Gentlemen.

8. Malex

Malex Quivering Member

I remember Dragonheart when I was a kid, especially the "meat" scene. The review was good in making me feel nostalgic. LINET will be a term I may use more often. I also was told about this review ahead of time from my friend, the artist who did the last two bumper arts and the Dragon Bond animation for Lindsay. I'm glad she didn't tell me about Dragon Bond. That was a great gag. The two things that really surprised me were Jason Isaacs and David Thewlis also known as Lucius Malfoy and Remus Lupin were the bad guys in this movie. I mean look at Einon and then look at Lupin. It's mind-boggling!

I kind of like the Nostalgia Chick tackling movies that have cross-demographic appeal so we can see reviews on stuff that Doug may not, can not, or will not review. Maybe something about strippers...

9. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

I haven't posted in a while, but let me just say I loved the Commando review apparently, because I haven't stopped watching it since he posted it.

I was somewhat disappointed with the Dragon Heart review, sometimes the N.Chick gets too wordy and sounds so bored that she kinda draws the fun out of it. But I still love her. She just works best when she has a side kick to bounce off of.

10. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

11. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

I dunno. I thought this was the style she used since the beginning - the non-hyper, snarky, straight to the point chick.

12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

The only one of those I haven't seen already was #2 (I've also seen #4 which I can't direct link due to the language filter); it makes me wonder if Spoony is going to review that Canadian Robocop TV mini-series.

I wonder if Frank Weller's students bring stuff like this or Naked Lunch up more.

13. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

RoboProfessor!

Yeah, I just remember that Peter Weller was a professor at Syracuse. I learned it when I saw him on the History channel!

14. Plague Rat

Plague Rat Disease-ridden rodent

Personally, I agree. Plus it seems like she has a habit of choosing good movies and/or okay movies than actually horrific ones... not saying that she hasn't, it's just she commonly picks decent ones.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

16. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Baby Arnold!:eek:

17. kaseykockroach

kaseykockroach Active Member

I'm gonna have a hard time going to sleep tonight with that image in my head...
    The review left me speechless. I was laughing hysterically, even though he couldn't come up with any jokes! It started off normal, like any other review, but once Baby Arnold showed up, it was pure madness from there, as his increasingly psychotic madness just got crazier as the movie went on. He was BEGGING for this movie to be stupid. That's just...I don't know, the entire second half, with that song, that...This simply left me speechless by the end. This is one of THE greatest ever! I feel like watching it two more times!

18. takineko

Disappointed he didn't have fun with this one [the movie itself I mean]. I was really looking forward to it, but I guess he just didn't have anything to work with. That being said his first flip out over the freakish baby had me in stitches! But reviews where he dislikes the movie so much he's just complaining most of the time are hard to re-watch, like the Full House review, however I think he did really well here regardless. :)

[PS. I do feel like rewatching his skits in the review over and over, just not the review itself]

19. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Fantastic! After Commando, I didn't think he could match it, but he almost does here. His reaction to Baby Arnold must have had me annoying the neighbours with the laughter I was making, not to mention all the jokes surrounding it.

Man, this totally makes up for Nick Month. Two of his best reviews right in a row. (3 if you include the Star Wars one)

Keep it up, Doug! :D

20. takineko

I do think he's improving, the quality of these past two reviews has been amazing!

And I have to add a fangirl spaz:

He not only referenced Animanaics, he actually showed footage from it! And it was Yakko no less! I love him so much right now! I knew he was a fan before he ever talked about it-- something about him just screams Yakko anyway. Half the time most people can't even tell he's doing Animaniacs/Freakazoid references in many of his vids, but it makes me so ridiculously happy! :yakko:

/fangirl spaz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.