1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrorist attacks in Western Europe

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by GWOtaku, Jan 7, 2015.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The net is alight this morning in the wake of a new attack on liberty in France. The satirical publication Charlie Hebdo was attacked by gunmen who reportedly shouted "we have avenged the prophet Muhammad", claimed to be from Al Qaeda, and are said to have shown signs of being extremely well trained. In the past, Charlie Hebdo's rude satire expanded to over Muhammad and Islam when they ran an issue that included a caricature of Muhammad on the cover, among other things, which led to a firebombing attack soon after.

The hunt is on for three men. 12 are dead, more are wounded. The slain include the Charlie Hembdo's editor-in-chief Stephane Charbonnier and fellow cartoonists Cabu, Tignous and Wolinski. Some primers on what's known so far:

BBC News - Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Four cartoonists, chief editor among those killed in Paris attack - Times LIVE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...11329976/Paris-Charlie-Hebdo-attack-live.html

Needless to say, this is serious. So far officials, including President Hollande, are saying the right things about the nature of the attack and the reality of it as an attack on the freedom of the press. Let's hope this sets the tone and that the killers are swiftly brought to justice.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

What's scary is that they are still on the loose. Not like suicide bombers. This is something more akin to the Boston Marathon attack of two years ago...

EDIT: There is video out there of one of the terrorist executing a wounded police officer. I won't link to it. It's available out there, on CNN and elsewhere...but this is a very brazen attack carried out in broad daylight. Much worse than the "deranged lone gunman" incident we had in Canada a couple months back (that guy wanted to be killed, I think...)...just scary that they are still on the loose.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That issue was printed quite a while ago.....shortly after the "Muhammad cartoons" incident. Whoever these men were, they just NOW got offended?

Charlie Hebdo DID get attacked when they originally printed it: their offices were bombed. Fortunately no one was inside. In response, the magazine printed a cover depicting Muhammad kissing another man with a giant river of saliva running down their faces. There was no response to that one until now.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

In time we will likely find out that this was a carefully planned and premeditated attack. The memory and tenacity of illiberal fanatics can be substantial, it would seem. Hopefully the same can be said of us too.

Considerable crowds are turning out in Paris and elsewhere in France in solidarity apparently, even with the gunmen still at large, which I really admire.

Photos Of Charlie Hebdo Rallies Show France Come Together In Solidarity

5. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

Well, just recently they did something mocking the leader of ISIS.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yes, I think that would be this image right here, it was in their twitter feed this morning. Because it's so recent and we have these reports about the terrorists shouting about avenging the prophet, I doubt this attack was a direct reaction to it. Word is that French police have identified three suspects in the killings and the search goes on tonight.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Stumbled across this from Ross Douthat today, who I think absolutely nails the topics of super offensive satire, the use of force in response to it and why even people who generally personally don't much like that brand of satire (this includes me) are correct to stand by it anyway. Some would say that condemning the violence is one thing while perpetuating the offensive speech that the violence attacked is callous at best and morally offensive at worst, but I believe that is dead wrong. What's being said by people who do that and by cartoonists who stood by the assassinated artists isn't that they necessarily agree with all the speech or that they care nothing for the feelings of other people, or that satire is above criticism. It's a straightforward clear statement against the gun as a veto. That is incompatible with a free society, while moreover fear is not a tool for imposing tolerance in any true meaning of the word.

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/the-blasphemy-we-need/

8. CartoonFridays

Inevitably, lots of artists have drawn responses to these atrocities. On the evening news, I saw one from a Dutch artist that had a plane abut to fly into two giant pencils, and another that had a terrorist looking over an artists shot corpse claiming "He drew first."

The NY Daily News had one that had a jihadist armed with sword, semi rifle, bazooka, etc. confronting an artist armed with only his pen, which the caption claimed was "still mightier".

9. wonderfly

10. CartoonFridays

You know, this situation got me thinking. All portrayals of Mohammed recently have been as a deliberate Muslim stereotype meant to stick it to extremists.
    I haven't heard anything recently of the Prophet being portrayed decently as a cultural figure.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Problem is he doesn't have an official image, that image being forbidden, so no one knows what he actually looked like. Most people just draw a guy with a beard and a turban because it's assumed everybody in the Middle East looks like that.

12. wonderfly

13. wonderfly

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

This is serious over there I hope things end safely though, and I hope the french president is safe. At the moment France is at a state of emergency.

15. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

This is terrbile, just awful.
    I'l still quite shocked.
    More than 100 deaths in hostages...

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I heard about it on the news. Just horrible. Terrorists are pure evil.

17. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Honestly I am just hearing this now. Really terrible thing to have happened.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I heard about this last night. It's so horrifying that so many people have been killed due to these terrorist attacks. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Paris. I hope that everyone there stays safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I still can't believe this happened. Suicide bombings in Paris? It's unfathomable, but it's important to remember that a similar attack from ISIS in Beirut recently, and it's no less tragic. I now ask the horrible, inevitable question: now what?

20. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

Definetely...