1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teletoon Brings Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 2, 2012.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The following press release was just issued (via The World's Finest):

TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012

Canadian Broadcaster launches new ad-supported channel with a platform-integrated and portable approach
    TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. today announced a partnership that will bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canadian television later this year. This new digital specialty network is a complementary, ad-supported channel with a built-in fan-base. Canadian audiences can expect to see shows such as The Amazing World of Gumball, Adventure Time and Regular Show during the Cartoon Network block between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. ET/PT, followed by an Adult Swim late-night lineup commencing at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

"We are honored that Cartoon Network has entrusted TELETOON to manage these two great brands in Canada," said Len Cochrane, President, TELETOON Canada Inc. "This marriage between TELETOON and Cartoon Network will grant us the opportunity to offer more cartoons, more stories and more excitement to everyone, everywhere."

This partnership, arriving on the eve of TELETOON's 15th anniversary and Cartoon Network's 20th anniversary, includes a programming, trademark and branding deal that will bring the best of Cartoon Network's exclusive first-run content that has never been seen before in Canada, in addition to almost 2,000 half-hours of vintage Cartoon Network and Adult Swim library selects.

"Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are beloved brands with programs that have a large and loyal global audience," said Stuart Snyder, President and COO, Turner's Animation, Young Adults & Kids Media Division. "We are looking forward to extending the reach of both of these brands in the Canadian marketplace with our new partnership with TELETOON."

The deal will allow TELETOON to launch the Cartoon Network brand in Canada in both standard and high definition across linear television, Video on Demand, broadband and mobile platforms. TÉLÉTOON will serve its French audience by launching a Cartoon Network programming block, along with making programming available online, through mobile and Video on Demand.

Cartoon Network (www.cartoonnetwork.com), celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2012, is currently seen in more than 99 million U.S. homes and 168 countries around the world, and is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s U.S. ad-supported cable service now available in HD offering the best in original, acquired and classic entertainment for youth and families. Recognized as a top destination for boys 6-11 for all broadcast and cable television in the U.S., the network recently finished 2011 with ratings up in all key kids and boys demos in both daytime and early evening prime time over the previous year.

Adult Swim (Adultswim.com), launched in 2001, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s network offering original and acquired animated and live-action series for young adults. Airing nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. ET/PT. Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network and for the sixth consecutive year has ranked as the #1 basic cable network for adults 18-34, 18-49 and men 18-34.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news; entertainment; animation and young adult; and sports media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

TELETOON Canada Inc. brings kids, youth, young adults and families the best in animated and animation-related entertainment with four nationwide specialty television channels - TELETOON, TÉLÉTOON, TELETOON Retro and TÉLÉTOON Rétro - and select programming available through On Demand, Mobile TV, iTunes and TELETOON.com. Through its English and French networks, TELETOON reaches more than 7.7 million Canadian homes and TELETOON Retro is in more than eight million homes. Founded in 1997, TELETOON is a proud supporter of the Canadian animation industry, investing over $245 million in homegrown content to date. TELETOON Canada Inc. is owned by Astral (50%) and Corus Entertainment (50%). For more information, please visit www.teletoon.com. TELETOON: It's Unreal!

Minor additional details available at The World's Finest.

2. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Wow CN and Adult Swim for real in Canada this year. That's quite a surprise. I wonder what action animation will air on AS if any and I also wonder what shows will be exclusive to CN and which will also air on Teletoon.

It also sounds like they'll be making use of the backlog for CN and AS which could mean a solid mix of old and new. Given that I'm a little dissapointed to see AS will start at 9pm. It should really start no earlier than 10pm or even 11pm but their AS might actually not be overrun by FOX reruns and that's an interesting prospect.

3. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I expanded a bit over on my blog.

I'm not a fan of this idea. It's basically an admission that the Canadian Teletoon branding is worthless, and should be replaced by big US branding. It's a failure of Corus Entertainment, and Astral Media (whom have separately launched Nickelodeon Canada, Disney XD Canada, and Playhouse Disney Canada) to not extend their own branding, and assimilate this programming properly.

Edit: This should also be mirrored in the [Adult Swim] forum as well.

4. Mohji

Mohji Member

Interesting news, I wasn't expecting this at all. I don't want to make any early judgments, so I'll try to stay optimistic about the channel bringing something unique to Canadian TV, as opposed to becoming a dumping ground for the shows Teletoon doesn't want as Nick Canada and Disney XD Canada have turned out for YTV and the Family Channel, respectively.

On the bright side, it's great that we'll finally get more Adventure Time, as well as Regular Show and Gumball. Hey, we might also get more Generator Rex (Teletoon cancelled it after the first season) or maybe even Sym-Bionic Titan. CN Canada could complement Teletoon nicely, freeing up some time slots for more original or acquired programming. I'm interested to see how this will turn out.

5. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

Good idea. I'll mirror it right now.

About the topic I don't understand why Canadian companies keep making Canadian versions of American channels. Another thing I don't understand is why aren't these other channels being renamed as in YTV would be Nick Canada and Family Channel would become Disney XD.

6. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I think the reason why they're making Canadian versions of American stations now is because they want to work with the companies that, more or less, power the world a little more closely. It didn't used to be this way since the Canada government is all about keeping their cultural identity intact. Nowadays, the government is realizing the world is a global place and opening the doors to more international outlets (there's a couple of BBC networks up north as well) thanks in part to the growth of digital outlets.

Yeah, it'd probably be easier to rename YTV as Nickelodeon Canada (though that channel has existed for a little over two years now) or Family to Disney Channel (Family is closer to Disney Channel than Disney XD, which also exists as a stand-alone channel up north as does Disney Junior and soon a Canadian version of ABC Family called ABC Spark), but the older Canadian brands still have a foothold on the marketplace and a sense of pride.

But for a foreign brand to take over another in your home country would seem kind of shocking to say the least. It'd be like CTV taking over CBS or Fox becoming Sky1. There's a sense of pride of having your own local brands, and that's why they don't make the big leap to change their name altogether. They could, but that doesn't mean they should.

7. Sketch

I second the motion of Turner bringing Teletoon to the US especially if we get the backlog with it. But they can keep Crash Canyon all to themselves. :sweat:

8. Mixiboi

Mixiboi Member

I wonder what shows will be on Adult Swim Canada...

No Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, or Cleveland Show.

No Anime.

Maybe we'll get Canadian original shows that William Street can stea..err..bring to ASUS.:sweat:

9. Sketch

Teletoon has some FOX shows they might share with CN Canada but I rather like the idea of an Adult Swim without FOX shows and while I'd like to see them have an action block but it would be interesting to see an AS block with nothing but Adult Swim original series.

10. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

While on one hand, it bites to see another nibble at the edge of a distinctly Canadian identity, it's unavoidable now. As the internet gradually becomes the main distribution route for programming, the idea that some you can force some sort domestic content by legislating how much of that your media outlets run is outdated. You can't even do that on the internet without censorship/blocking software. The best you can hope for is to keep the outlets domestically owned (hence we get a Teletoon-run CN Canada,) and if any legislative action is going to spur local content, it's probably got to be through tax credits for local production, if you bother at all.

Besides, by being a digital specialty channel, they get the content in without it really displacing the main network. The people who want it and can afford to buy into it will, but if they do, that should pad Teletoon's bottom line, and hopefully give them more money for original domestic content. Done right, there could be an increase in CanCon programming, not a decrease, because there will be more money in the bank. Though, if they just try to gradually back flood CN content on to Teletoon, they will probably get slapped by the CRTC, just like MuchMusic as they tried to run Mtv reality content instead of music programming. There is some balance they legally have to maintain, so there will, atleast for a while still, be some form of a distinctly Canadian media identity.

Though, I know a lot of Canadians who could care less about that, and would just like to watch Adventure Time and such on any channel, regardless of the name and who owns it.

11. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Crosspost from the CN board.

This is probably the best thing for Adult Swim in Canada. It's been demonstrated time and time again in various markets around the world that AS shows just don't work when you pull them out of their original context. Obviously this still won't be a simulcast of the US Adult Swim, but it will at least be better than the way things are now. I seriously wonder if anyone at Corus is capable of replicating AS's bumps.

As for anime, I don't really care if Adult Swim Canada carries it as a regular thing. However, I do hope that they at least run FLCL and Evangelion. I'm pretty sure that Canada is still the only English-speaking country in the world where Eva has not aired on television.

12. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

So are these channels going to co-exist with Teletoon? Or will they replace Teletoon as a channel?:confused: I must admit to being a little confused.

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Teletoon, and its sister channels will live on.

14. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

15. Sketch

Great editorial Jessie. Can I trust that I'll be seeing you at Sakura Con this year?

Teletoon has the rights to Family Guy, American Dad and King of the Hill right? If that's the case then a simulcast isn't technically illegal assuming they get all the rights to all the Adult Swim originals. That's at least true of Sunday - Friday. Saturday they'd have to get creative unless they also got the rights to all those anime and God, The Devil and Bob.

And I can understand that they couldn't simply recreate the same experience themselves but I'd question if you really want them to. Afterall Adult Swim in the US has become basically a glorified rerun block for FOX shows with a unique packaging. They really only do new cards on Sundays so if you could just get a simulcast on Sunday that would at least give you the current Adult Swim experience.

Video streaming is kind of a whole different beast now than it was in years prior. Now they have Gold Video which is cable subscriber only and not much of their full episodes stream outside of that service. So you might actually be better off letting Teletoon handle the streaming side of things but I suppose that could go either way. Once again certain rights would have to be obtained but they could always region block the shows Teletoon doesn't have the rights to.

I'm really curious how the Canadian Adult Swim will look at opperate it's 9 hours a night. I suppose it could be just as mundane or more mundane than the US Adult Swim schedule but I'd like to believe with most of those shows still being fresh they'd air more of the shows Adult Swim generally avoids or leaves to 4AM DVR Theater.

The very idea of an Adult Swim block without FOX reruns kind of excites me even if I can't watch it. But as long as they don't end up giving half the time to FOX reruns a little FOX from Teletoon's existing backlog wouldn't be a bad idea for ratings purposes. As it stands it looks like Teletoon at Nite is already quite heavy on the FOX comedies. Even so, seeing Futurama on Adult Swim again would be pretty neat.

I wonder if Teletoon at Nite will see any changes when Adult Swim Canada comes along. They're going to be competing for the same audience after all. Maybe Teletoon at Nite will cut back a bit.

16. KarlOlson

17. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Thanks!

What, they brought it back? Where can I get them? Don't tell me they're Apple Jacks-ing it!

18. KarlOlson

Well, I thought I saw them at the Mac's at Production, but just to be safe, I will bring you back some Peanut Butter Twix from AMERICA. </bandit keith>

19. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Some white chocolate Reese's and Kit-Kats would be great, if they still make those.

On a side note, has there been any feedback on how the new UK Adult Swim is going? Do they write their own cards, or just kind of do their own thing?

20. judgemightor

judgemightor Member

If this would have happened 10 years ago, my mind would have been absolutely blown. The amount of American specialty networks which have been entering Canada over the past 5 years has increased a great deal. I used to watch Adult Swim in Canada via satellite and always envied the quality of the programming. While I think Teletoon has made some good programming decisions over the years, I have frequently felt as though they haven't done a great job of showcasing the glory days of Williams Street and early AS to Canadians, for the most part. Regardless of the current programming on either channel, I have always wanted CN in Canada so I give props on this deal.

#20 judgemightor, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012