1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by wonderfly, Sep 20, 2008.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

2. wonderfly

Random Question: The T.M.N.T. wiki entry focuses heavily on the comic books and movies, AS WELL as the cartoon. Is that okay with the purposes of this wiki project from Toon Zone? Cause I thought the Toon Zone wiki was ONLY supposed to focus on animation.

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Nobody likes my Wiki entries. Sigh...

I felt it was important to include some info on the comics and movies as well.

4. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

I don't see any harm in an article discussing media besides animation, so long as it's relevant to the subject - which it is in this case.

The only thing that bothered me was categorisation. Do we bung the article in 1980s series, 1990s series, 2000s series and anime? Because parts of it cover all of those...

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The focus is animation, but I think some comics crossover is inevitable. That's how they got started, and it's impossible to speak of superheroes in animation like Batman and Superman and Spider Man without some references to comics. Just as long as we aren't going out of our way to write entire articles about comic books.

I like the article. It is a pretty decent overview of the TMNT franchise. Aren't they also plotting a sequel to the 2007 movie?

6. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Yeah, but they keep hitting various snags (Imagi experiencing problems with their other two current projects, WB not being able to decide between a sequel or an outright reboot, etc).

7. wonderfly

It has nothing to do with your writing, (which was fine by me) and everything to do with me trying to grasp what this wiki is intended to accomplish.

Along those lines, here's a random question: the great thing about the main Wikipedia website is that you'll be reading an article, and it'll contain a link to another non-related article.

For instance, on the TMNT wiki entry over at Wikipedia, you could probably click on the word "turtles" and be transported to an article on turtles. Or you click on the word "ninjas" and you get taken to an article on ninjas. We won't have that type of capability, will we? Only animation links, right?

So if you're reading the Toon Zone wiki entry on TMNT, you should eventually be able to click on the word "Shredder" and be taken to the Toon Zone wiki entry on the Shredder himself.

In other words, we can have individual entries for characters, episodes, shows...but no articles on ninjas. Right? ;)

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That's pretty much right.

9. wonderfly

Actually, I do have some minor concerns with the way the entry is written. Please take this as constructive criticism, but it starts out as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a comic series co-created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird"

Which is true, but our focus is on animation. I think the article should start out stating something like, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a long running series of cartoons based upon a comic series co-created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird." Or something like that.

And from there, yeah, start off with mentioning the Mirage series as the original influence, but then go into the 80's cartoon. The other comic book series can either be mentioned late in the article, or not at all, and by that I mean this: the "Archie" series is probably worth mentioning, and the Dreamwave series, because they are adaptations of the cartoons...but the Image comics owe nothing to the cartoons, it's a continuation of the Mirage stuff...but since this wiki is supposed to focus on animation, I think the Image comics can go.

10. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Hmm, good point. I think maybe we could merge the first two sentences (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a comic series co-created by Kevin E
    Eastman and Peter Laird. The series became a pop-culture phenominon over the years spawning cartoons, movies, video games, toys, merchandise of every sort and more comic variations.) into something like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a popular franchise which began as a comic series co-created by Kevin E Eastman and Peter Laird. It evolved over the years to become a pop-culture phenomenon spawning cartoons, movies, video games, toys, merchandise of every sort." Not too comic-based, but it acknowledges the origins of the turtles.

edit: Done, if you guys have any objections, you can change it back.