"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, Aug 8, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)"

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

16.7%
  5. ***

16.7%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

16.7%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

16.7%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

You live, you die, you fight as brothers.
    [​IMG]
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Release Date: August 8, 2014
    Studio: Paramount Pictures
    Director: Jonathan Liebesman
    Screenwriter: Josh Appelbaum, Andrew Nemec, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway, John Fusco
    Starring: Megan Fox, Alan Ritchson, Jeremy Howard, Pete Ploszek, Noel Fisher, Will Arnett, Danny Woodburn, William Fichtner, Johnny Knoxville, Tony Shalhoub
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence)

Plot Summary:
    The city needs heroes. Darkness has settled over New York City as Shredder and his evil Foot Clan have an iron grip on everything from the police to the politicians. The future is grim until four unlikely outcast brothers rise from the sewers and discover their destiny as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Turtles must work with fearless reporter April O'Neil (Megan Fox) and her wise-cracking cameraman Vern Fenwick (Will Arnett) to save the city and unravel Shredder's diabolical plan.

Comments? Discuss this latest big-screen take on the classic Heroes in a Half-Shell!

Related Discussion:
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III Talkback (Spoilers)
    -TMNT Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Turtles Forever Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Animated Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Mirage Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Ongoing Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) Pre-Release News & Discussion
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: What are their best animated adventures?

2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Okay, I haven't read anything about this until yesterday, so someone who's watched the movie, please spoil away for me.

Is Shredder in this movie a white guy? Because if he is, then there's no way I'd pay a cent to watch this movie. I'm tired of Asian characters becoming white guys in movies, e.g. Last Airbender, King of Fighters, Dragonball Evolution, 21, etc.

3. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

The Shredder is Japanese.

4. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

5. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

No problem.

6. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Cohorts,

i hope tmnt does well and isn't beat by gotg for the #1 slot. i'm wishing for something over 45 million range or just or enough to have the studios consider doing a sequel.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Comports, why would you want such a terrible movie to do well? Consorts, should not better taste prevail? Contortionists, would it not be better of GotG steamrolls it so studios will understand that movies need to be better-quality and not insult the audiences with cheap humor and sex jokes to bring in viewers? Kokomo, that's where we want to go.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Thing is, I can't see how anybody who enjoyed any previous incarnation of TMNT would find this pleasing to look at in any way. These Turtles aren't.....cool. They're not the type of guys you would want to hang out with.

It doesn't feel like anyone who admired or even cared about the franchise made this movie, and if anyone holds it dear, they'll feel it enough to avoid paying for a ticket.

Of course, I also pessimistically expect it to pull down some big numbers anyway.

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

So how awful is the movie? No one is seeing it cause they're expecting top-notch or even decently-done movies. They're seeing it cause they know it's gonna be terrible, but have lots of explosions, awful jokes and boobs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  10. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

It's not as awful as it could have been. The plot is very thin and they play with the Turtle's origin a bit, but it's not the worst thing I've seen. I mean, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not bowling shoe ugly. I saw an advanced screening at my local AMC Wednesday night, and most of the people who saw it with me seemed to enjoy it. To tell the truth, all the best action scenes and funny one liners were in the trailers and TV spots. Seriously, if you saw all those there's really no use in seeing the film unless you're a diehard Turtles fan (like me).

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Just got back from seeing it this afternoon. Yeah, it was OK. No masterpiece, but I was honestly expecting much, Much, MUCH worse from Bay. The theater was packed with kids and parents as you'd expect, and most of them seemed to enjoy it.

12. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

I agree with what others said but here's a more detailed review that also gives an abridged history of my take on the franchise.

13. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Deadline Hollywood says TMNT will make over $50 million in their ultra early weekend estimates. I've noticed Deadline is usually the first to try to estimate the 3 day weekend, even with the potential for significant momentum shifts by the time Sunday morning rolls around.

14. Angilasman

Angilasman New Member

The white guy was meant to be the Shredder when they began making this film, but they apparently decided against it and went back and filmed two scenes with an Asian actor as "The Shredder" (he has no other name) and make the white guy (William Fichtner) his disciple. They also dubbed or refilmed some lines of dialog (and one scene of Fichtner during the climax when the TMNT are fighting Shredder) so that they're referred to as two different characters. It's really obvious, almost laughably so. I'm not lying when I say that some of dialog was just dubbed: when Splinter explains the relationship between Fichtner's character and the Shredder he's off-screen so they don't have to animate him speaking the words!

It's par for the course for a film so amateurish, choppy, and... heck... unfinished feeling that I'm surprised it was released by a major movie studio and had $150 million behind it. The ugly creature design (Splinter makes out much worse than the TMNT and Shredder) and paper-thin plot and characters are not even the worst of it. Like the first Twilight movie this is a film that at times feels more like a direct-to-video cheapy than a big budget film.

... but I kinda recommend seeing it. It's bad on a level that's strangely interesting, like a '50s B-movie.

15. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

By no means is this a great movie, but it was better than I was expecting. However my level of expectation was somewhere around that of the Bay Transformers movies so that isn't saying much. I will say this movie gives a better version of the Turtles than the terrible Next Mutation series and some of their more ridiculous versions (like the concert Turtles) but that is still no excuse. There were a few actual funny moments here and there and some really nice looking action but the story made no sense whatsoever and was riddled with holes.

The revised origin didn't make a lot of sense either. Based on the new origin there is no reason for Splinter to adopt the ninja lifestyle and the Turtles learned their skills way too fast. The only way this movie really works is if you have a history with these characters and if you already know them because this movie does little to set up their friendships. Each Turtle acts a little too aggressive. Mike is borderline rapey toward April and Splinter comes off as very very cruel when he is first introduced. There's really no reason given for why you should care about these characters. And connecting everyone so closely together doesn't make a lot of sense. You can also tell that this movie was rewritten quite a bit and reshot since Shredder's role in the film is pretty useless. It seems like they split the role of the film's bad guy between him and Eric Sacks.

I saw a late showing of the film last night and the theatre was packed. I would not be surprised if the film tops the weekend box office and it looks like it might based on this Variety article:

Box Office: Turtles Heading for Possible $60 Million Opening Weekend | Variety

The current Nick CG series is so much better than this movie on every level. Kids will probably really like this movie but it will be tough for some adults to sit through. But still I say that and last night the majority of the crowd was really enjoying the movie. They laughed at the jokes and references and everything. This movie is definitely a bit of a misfire but it seems like it's going to do well anyway. I did get a laugh out of the reference to the 1990 live-action movie, the reference to mutating rabbits, and the "tonight I dine on turtle soup" line.

I think this will be a very divisive movie especially among the hardcore Turtle fanbase. Reading the reactions over at The Technodrome have actually been a bit more enjoyable then a good portion of the movie. It really seems like this movie was edited down to the barebones from a script that wasn't all that together in the first place which only compounded the problem. The Turtles don't look bad for the most part though they probably cool have scaled back on the "realistic" designs a bit. It's an alright movie at best but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go out and see it.

16. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Pretty good action and decent animation. That's where most of the effort went in because the script is weak and you do not get enough time with the turtles because the story focuses on April's connection to everything. The bad guys plan is standard. The nods to the 80s cartoon can be charming when the times they did not feel forced. Despite one-liners flying and an adequate soundtrack blasting the action didn't feel very exciting. It was dull and shallow but not offensive like Transformers. It will likely appeal to the masses but I don't know what Nickelodeon was thinking putting their name on this movie, it is not a good movie for children... but then again neither was Transformers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Just saw it. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it definitely as its fair share of problems, mainly April being shoehorned in almost every scene and Eric Sacks being an awful villain. The characterization was spot-on for the most part, and it was quite a relief since that was one of my biggest fears of this movie. The humor was okay, outside of that one fart joke and the "Victoria's Secret" bit, but the jokes for the most part worked.

I'll see if I go into more detail soon, but on a general note this is definitely not a bad film. Certainly enjoyed it more than the Transformers films, and this is coming from someone who wasn't particularly offended by the first three of those (haven't seen T4).

18. VladDraculi

VladDraculi New Member

This movie was utter horse poop. The Next Mutations was better than this.

19. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I wrote a spoiler free review. You can read it at Nick and More.

20. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

My review.

So better than The Last Airbender at least.