1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment on the 1st Season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

30.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Finally got around to it. Well, that was fun and the Leader Krang's "I am known as Krang, but you can call me Kraaaang" is probably one of the funniest lines in the show.

It's rushed in a few places and some of the scenes could have been trimmed or altered to fit others. I think the dance scene at the end could have been cut down a bit to focus and emphasize more on the Turtle's sadness for Leo's "death" (though this may be because I think the dance scene was just cringe-worthy.) Likewise, while I love that Leo tried to sacrifice himself to save the world, it would have worked largely as a one time deal. Having him pull it during Part One, then again in Part Two merely a half an hour later really undermines the latter's sacrifice a bit. Though I was almost convinced Leo's fate wouldn't be revealed until Season Two; kinda like in Beast Wars where Optimus Primal dies in the Season One finale, then returns in Season Two.

Still, it's a good finale and has a lot more hits than miss. I think what I appreciated about Shredder is that despite being the defacto/primary baddie in the Ninja Turtle verse, he's not the guy trying to take over the world. No, his issues is with Splinter and compared to what the Krangs are doing, it looks so minor in comparison, yet since we know their history and the bad blood between the two, it becomes important and personal. There's something decidedly poetic about that and I love that most of the heart centered around this subplot. Oh, god, Shredder convinced the kid that Splinter did something to her mother. That has got to sting. Can't wait to see how this will play out.

Like Hellcat, I want to know if April's unique energy will be played with it provided it isn't played out. I'm personally theorizing this is why April is well-tuned and sensitive to stuff that makes her a good candidate as a kunochi. I mean, that's what I've always assumed.

2. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I thought the dancing at the end was more about the writers congratulating themselves on completing a full season of the Nick TMNT show, rather than the dancing itself...which was obviously aimed at little kids.

The Nick writers successfully brought back a franchise with 26 episodes so far...and we have at least another 2 seasons to go. Given the shows success so far it'll probably go on at least 7 seasons like the 4kids series did...which made 156 episodes in total.

The Nick show has a way to go to reach the original cartoon's 193 episode and 4kids run's 156 episode counts. TMNT shows tend to go on a long period of time compared to other action cartoons.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Yes really. Avatar is not Evangelion.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally got a chance to see this episode and I thought it was okay. It had some dull stretches like the others trying to get Leo to react. Donnie probably should have realized a connection between his weird behavior and the sting he got earlier in the episode, but they need to create more tension somehow. Seeing them under the wasp's control was pretty intense though. Mikey saving the day was nice, especially when it showed that he can be smart, or at least smarter than how the others give him credit for. Although, I'm surprised that they didn't bring up the point that they were in this mess in the first place because of Mikey when he was bragging a bit about being the hero. Overall, it was an okay episode and hopefully the next episode will be more entertaining for me.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this was a pretty good episode. The action was good and I liked Newtralizer's design, along with its name. I also liked how they were setting up more hints about April being different with being able to hear that device from so far away, even though I agree that they don't seem to react as much to signs like that as they probably should. Donnie getting in over his head and Mikey getting upset over Donnie naming something without him were pretty funny moments.

It was pretty obvious from the start that it was a setup since it seemed too easy for Donnie to get to his cell. Plus, April's father sounded a bit too calm at times. Although, Shredder being involved was something I hadn't expected. Overall, it was a good episode with some nice action, humor and setup for the finale. I hope that I'll enjoy the season finale as well.

6. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Wait a minute... Newtralizer. How could I not get that pun earlier?

7. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

^Dude, I really don't know...

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this was a great season finale. The action was terrific and seeing the Technodrome fly over the city was rather intense. The turtles were able to set up good plans every time another one failed and it showed that they had come a long way as a team from the first episode. Leo's first heroic sacrifice moment worked more than the second one, but I think that had a lot to do with just seeing him falling down from the building putting me on the edge of seat. Plus, coming back from one sacrifice moment kind of made it obvious that he would survive the second one, especially when I didn't think that they would end the season with one of the turtles missing in action. That would have been an interesting twist thought.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't explain more about what made April special. It was explained pretty vaguely, so that could mean that there will be more of an explanation in the second season. Or at least I hope that they will. April's father barely had much presence or much of a reaction to what he did under mind control after he was freed. That seemed more jarring to me than how the others were when they thought that Leo had died. At least they showed more shock and regret, at least in Raph's case, when they thought that Leo was gone.

Splinter vs. Shredder was definitely the best part of the finale though. The entire fight was just so awesome and flowed so well. I especially liked it when Splinter started to use his rat traits, such as biting through the blades and running on all fours, since it showed how much his own anger had driven him. Instead of fighting like a man, he was fighting a bit more like an animal.

The whole Karai/Miwa twist was pretty obvious though given when Karai was introduced and Shredder saying what Splinter had done to the both of them. Plus, there's no way Nickelodeon would have been okay with Shredder killing a baby, even in a flashback. Stealing Splinter's daughter and raising her into hating her actual father is pretty dark, but I don't think that it gives Shredder any depth. It just makes him look even more insane for going that far simply for jealousy over Splinter getting the girl he wanted fifteen years ago, especially when he killed her in the mist of his fights against Splinter. What could give Shredder some depth would be if he does have some genuine fatherly love for Karai, but considering that he stole her only for the purpose of getting back at Splinter and he's so obsessed with getting revenge that he didn't even care about an alien invasion, that would seem incredibly unlikely. I didn't blame Splinter for leaving once Karai entered the fight. He was still dealing with the shock that his daughter was alive and had been raised to hate him. He wasn't in any emotional condition to fight her and he certainly couldn't have tried to tell her the truth. She had no reason to believe him and besides that, trying to resolve it then would have been rushed. It was a sad note to end such a great fight, but a reasonable one. Even not telling the turtles about it afterwards made sense to me. He was still processing it himself and he didn't want to spoil their victory celebration. I imagine that they'll spent more time with this subplot in the second season and Karai will eventually learn the truth. That should be interesting to say the least.

I didn't mind the dance scene too much, although deleting it so that they could spend more time on the others reacting to Leo possibly being dead would have been fine with me. The final shot was a good cliffhanger to end the finale with.

Overall, it was a solid finale. It was rushed in parts, but the action was great, there were some funny moments and it ended the season on a strong note. The season itself has been pretty fun, but I also hope that they can improve on the writing and range of emotions for the characters, especially the turtles. I'm eager to see the new season next month.

9. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

^Raising Miwa could be interpreted as "depth" for Shredder if you look at the fact that she was also the child of the woman he wanted/loved, and he raised her as his own daughter. But yeah, I doubt the story will present this as a motivation, because Shredder does just seems to want to mess with Splinter and anyone associated with him.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That could be one way to interpret his decision to raise Miwa. It could be interesting if they went that route and it could help to make Shredder look more human, but it seems pretty doubtful when he's just so driven on getting his revenge on Splinter and causing him any kind of pain to the point of insanity.

11. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

I don't think Shredder has ever seemed like the type of villain that would be "humanized". I'm not a huge TMNT fan so maybe I'm not that knowledgeable, but he's always seemed one-dimensionally evil in everything I've seen.

And a thought occurred to me about Karai: if she joins the good guys, maybe she would count as the violet turtle like April is the yellow. Or even the black and white turtle. Gotta fulfill that color scheme.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm only familiar with the movies and the 2k3 series, but he was one-dimensionally evil in those as well. While trying to humanize him in this series could be potentially interesting, depending on how they handled it, it doesn't seem like they would do something like that when he has always been one-dimensionally evil in other series/movies and he's already like that in this series as well. Plus, it would be kind of hard to humanize him when the only reason he raised her was to get back at Splinter and she's just another means for him to get his revenge. I think that he's too insane with jealousy for them to make him more human at this point too.

If she joins the good guys, I could see her getting a different color scheme in her outfit to separate her from Shredder.