1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment on the 1st Season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

30.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Maybe, but he lied to them too. Shredder told his bs backstory to them too, being lied too can really cause a riff, look at what happened in Legend Of Korra, when the Lt. found out Amon was lying to him.

2. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think this episode kind of made the point that Dogpound isn't simply loyal out of misplaced honour. He summed Splinter up as 'As skilled as Shredder but doesn't have the guts to finish it'. That to me seems to link up with the Karate Kid baddy vibe I've had from him all season that he isn't interested in having true honour but using strength to lord over others. Maybe they'll surprise us but I don't think either of the mutants are particularly going to care if they find out Shredder twisted certain facts. Getting involved with the cities existing crime and encouraging it while demanding the highest cut sells them as lowlifes themselves.

3. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

You're going with the whole "Simpsons Did it!" If you forgotten that others have used it before on books, movies and TV like the most obvious Star Wars where Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father died till Darth confirms that he is Luke's father. Not to same but has a similar plot where others have done it, besides we already know Karai was Miwa in the beginning, we just needed them to confirm it.

4. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well the fact the Yoshi / Splinter never had a baby that was killed in any previous incanation should had been a dead give away. They didn't have to add a baby to that story if she was just going to die with mother.

5. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I think the writers were well aware everyone knew Karai was Miwa at this point. The payoff was that Splinter didn't know, and to see Splinter shocked/disappointed when he not only realizes his daughter is still alive, but that for 15 years she was taught to hate her own father because of Shredder twisting the story says a lot in itself.

How would you feel if you thought your daughter died as an infant, and then 15 years later you find out she's still alive and she hates your guts because she was raised by your mortal enemy? It also gives Shredder a lot more depth...its like a revenge scheme 15 years in the making.

6. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

Oroku Saki is crazy... He doomed the earth to simply settle a grudge...over a woman...that happened over 15 years ago. Even Splinter had to call him out on that. I loved this finale, it was a good way to wrap up the Kraang invasion storyline, and set up more for Splinter and Miwa. I'm curious of what is to become of the Kraang in season 2.

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Missed this the first time but me and my brother noticed that too. Good to see the Funky Charleston/ Kick Step is alive and well :D

8. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Ah, yes. The Kid n' Play two-step. I was half expecting Martin Lawrence to shout out "SWITCH!"

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Like I said, it's not necessarily bad because we know what's going to happen. Just like we know in Avatar that ultimately Aang will save the day and get married to Katarra.

10. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I know people can get caught up in the moment, but that seemed like a good time for Splinter to tell Karai that Shredder is lying to her. Shredder was nearly defeated and Splinter avoided having to fight Karai. They were all in the safe zone.

Hopefully that plot line doesn't take the entire second season like rescuing April's dad took the entire first season.

11. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Yeah, Karai didn't seem to be in a listening mood.

I would so love to write the episode where she learns the truth.

12. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from Karai being in full defense of her father mode, why would she believe the giant rat mutant who was inches from killing what she believes to be her father? He'd have nothing and that's not taking into account that he was seeing his daughter for the first time in 15 years...and she's trying to kill him.

13. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

It's true that Karai would have been unlikely to believe Splinter at that point, but it seems awkward to me that he wouldn't address it at all.

Splinter could have even said something to Shredder to the tune of "How dare you destroy my family and lie to my daughter over petty jealousy."

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And that would have accomplished? He's not in a position to exactly defend his side, not yet at least. He's still reeling from finding out she's alive, raised by his mortal enemy, and trying to kill him. If anything it would seem more awkward for him to address right there in the heat of battle and so many swirling emotions.

15. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

Like I said, people can handle situations differently. I personally prefer to get things over with and speak up.

It doesn't help that when Splinter spoke with the turtles he didn't inform them of the revelation. This will most likely lead to a future plot where Splinter is in emotional turmoil because he doesn't want to say anything and winds up risking his life because of it.

16. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

Yeah, I think Splinter was smart enough to know Karai had no reason to believe him and a whoooooole lot of reasons to hate him. He's to her like Shredder is to the turtles, probably worse because she believes he killed her mother. If/ when she finds out, it'll probably be from Shredder himself, overhearing him, or maybe in a moment where Shredder is about to do something crazy-evil, Karai will stop him, and that's when he'll give a "You're just like your real father" kind of response.

And it's interesting that, in a way, Splinter didn't follow his own advice about sacrifice, while Leonardo did. Once Splinter found out about Karai, he just gave up and fled when he had the chance to put an end to Shredder once and for all.

17. mrbean1500

mrbean1500 Member

Well in Splinter's defense, he only told Leo that because the world was at stake. His vendetta with Shredder wasn't putting the world at stake AND he was an emotional wreck after finding out "Miwa" was alive.

18. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Uh really? I personally look at Avatar where anything can happen, you can't be sure Aang would have succeed on defeating Ozai also knowing Aang marrying Katara was not something you would expect when first see the show, their relationship was developing but little till the 3rd Season however it was showing that their relationship was not that official until the end of the final episode, i don't get where you got that idea where we knew Aang will marry Katara.

Also prove Shredder right, if he had finished him he would show Karai that Splinter is indeed a murderer and gives her another reason to hate him more.

I'm wondering however if this vendetta against Splinter will also expand on the turtles, especially Leonardo? I know Karai will know the truth but i do have mix feelings that it won't end in happy father and daughter reunion where Karai feels confuse on who she is really also knowing that her father is a rat.

19. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

^A lot was at stake with putting an end to Shredder too. The point is he let his feelings determine the outcome, but I'm not really criticizing Splinter for his actions, just pointing out the irony. It's totally understandable that he was too shocked/ reluctant to do anything.

And Avatar had suspense, but there were never really any big worries, like Aang dying or the Fire Lord winning in the end. Neither scenario would probably be allowed on a Nickelodeon show.

#799 Vaporleaf, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel that would really have wrung hollow. Also it doesn't really make sense on a few levels, we covered the emotional part which is the obvious one, but also from a logic standpoint it doesn't make sense since she would just think it's some trick. From a story perspective it also robs a subplot of its weight. Hopefully it's handled a little more gracefully than April's dad but it's also not as plot dependent as that sub plot so it can sit on the sidelines more believably.

I liked that he didn't say anything to the boys since he's probably still processing it himself. No reason to dump something on them when it effects him even more than they could imagine.

I hadn't thought of that actually. It's fun when they can play around with that. Makes Splinter look more human that he has these faults.