1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment on the 1st Season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

30.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Did anyone else notice that the spherical Kraang devices used to capture people looked like Pokeballs?

2. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

Loved the finale. I actually wasn't expecting the "twist" but in hindsight it seems pretty obvious. Can't wait for season 2.

3. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Did anyone besides me think that Leatherhead would show up?

I really wasn't expecting the reveal of Karai really being Splinter's daughter coming this early.

As for the season 2 previews, it looks like we'll be seeing Wingnut and Screwloose. I'm still sad about Mutagen Man though.

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I hope we don't have to worry about seeing Leo's star trek show now (that captain is one of the worst leaders I've ever seen).

5. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Good but much like the season as a whole it felt rushed and awkward at parts. Case in point Splinter and Shredder are somehow able to continue their duel despite the fact the city is under siege...felt off. Likewise the show hasn't really set this alliance up too well. Shredder grabs a Kraang, it proposes an alliance....suddenly Shredder is striding into TCRI like he owns the place. Feels like more could have been done to establish that side of the plot.

I'm glad they didn't just resolve the Miwa thing then and there as it would rob them of later story potential. It's sad to see Splinter lose all will to fight as soon as he realises his own daughter has been raised to hate him.

Likewise, I wonder if they're finished with April's gift. It was kind of vaguely explained what it meant and with the Kraang themselves still a threat it seems like it could return. As a fan of the original show I smiled when they revealed the huge ship was called the Technodrome and that it looks to be copying the original in spending arcs trapped in different locations. Yet knowing how many people had been abducted the Turtles were surprisingly careless in sinking it. Before all the pods emerged I initially wondered if I'd missed a scene.

Surprised to see the Mousers. I wondered if this meant Baxter was back but seemingly he left a few behind and Shredder has kept them in use.

Going into the next season I really hope both writing and animation improve. I get the feeling the scripts are struggling between being involved and thoughtful but something kids can easily make sense of. I don't want the show to be grim and brooding but hopefully the writers will become better at doing arcs that slowly build across seasons. Currently they seem to have some great ideas but can't blend them right.

6. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

Finally confirmation about Karai being Miwa. Easily that revelation and Splinter vs. Shredder were the best things about this.

I hope they tone down the goofy antics in this show, at least a little. The turtles thought their brother died, and they didn't really seem all that upset. Mikey at least should've sniffled or something. And Mr. O'Neil didn't seem that concerned with the fact that his daughter was kidnapped by the Kraang, or that he'd helped in making it happen under mind-control.

Splinter doesn't have to be the only one who can be serious and affected by a dramatic turn of events. Not that the turtles can't still be kickass and fun-loving, but a little more emotion in the show might be nice.

#766 Vaporleaf, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I wonder why people aren't mentioning that this story tied up all the season long story plots:

- April's father is finally rescued for good, a plotline since episode 1

- April's "secret" is explained as she has strong mental/temporal energy.

- The vaporizing gun the Turtles stole from the Kraang in an earlier episode was used here against Traag

- The Turtles destroyed the portal in TCRI, something they failed to do in the Leatherhead episode

- They finally reveal Miwa is Karai

- We see the reveal of Kraang Prime, who is essentially Krang from the original toon updated.

I'm also surprised people aren't mentioning how dark Shredder's treatment of Splinter was. He makes Splinter think his daughter is dead, but he secretly raises her for 15 years to hate his guts by twisting the story.

Splinter thought his daughter was dead for 15 years, and now he sees her alive but she hates his guts and thinks he's the villain. That is some twisted stuff and it gives this Shredder some added depth.

8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I don't know if Shredder depth. It is pretty simple. rejected by a woman and went insanely crazy. Kind of a overreacton to being friend zoned.

Speaking of going crazy when Karai learns the truth, I am thinking she is going to crazy and attack everybody, being a little bit in denal, and just realised your whole world is a lie. I think she is going to be real dangerious for everybody.

#768 zoombie, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

And yet he raised Karai as his own daughter and turned her against her real father. Karai probably thinks Shredder is her biological father too.

When you realize this went over the course of 15 years, its pretty dark. Not to mention its pretty obvious Tang Shen was killed by Shredder....just like she died in the comics and 4kids.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Which shouldn't have existed at all, to be honest. That, or it shouldn't have taken a whole season for them to reunite. Either way, there was no reason for it. Personally (and no offense to the writers or the network), I think it may have only done just so they could convince the viewers to watch the show (i.e., to see whether they reunite or not), or otherwise give them a reason to watch, though I personally can't be sure whose idea it was (again, with all due respect to both sides). I'm just speculating of course (and I don't know about anyone else), but what was I supposed to think, that the show wouldn't keep them apart forever (or for some other indefinite amount of time)? The way the show was written overall, and with the way they conveniently "forget" about it in a number of episodes, it could have gone either way. For all we know, the show wouldn't have had them reunite until the next season (and it can still go this way for all we know; more later), or it could kept it going for several seasons (assuming it came to that), with the worst case scenario being that the show ends production with them never reuniting (whether the show ends without a series finale, or has a more ambiguous ending). Anytime a missing mom or disappeared dad plot comes up, there's often (but admittedly not always) the possibility of a tragic ending, and some viewers don't like seeing those. Just saying.

Anyway, it appears that they have reunited, but like they say, appearances can be deceiving. In any case, this show has won a temporary reprieve, which means that if the next season starts with April and her father separated again (or even something similar to that), then that's it. Again, it shouldn't have taken the show the entire season for them to reunite (for real), and I really hope they don't try that again...

11. StellaMagic

StellaMagic Active Member

I'll say, and that show had corny and awful dialogue

12. HellCat

*crossing fingers for Space Heroes: The Next Generation in season 2*

13. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Uh that was the point. Do you people have no sense of humor?

14. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

You just can't stop complaining can you? You were fearing it would take seasons for that plot to be resolved. You complain when the show focuses on a plot line and you complain when it has stand alone episodes. Why do you even watch the show when all you do is complain about it? You should be happy they did not take multiple seasons to resolve the plot line and be happy that it was not the ONLY thing they focused on.

It did not take a whole season to resolve the plot because they did not deal with the plot all season long. There were multiple plot points, more then one thing going on and the Kirby O'Neal thing was just one of them. You complain about what they could have done saying they could have never resolved the plot yet THEY did. It is resolved. Now is when you stop complaining. Yes it could have been resolved sooner but it was not the only thing going on.

They did not "conveniently forget" they had other things they had to develop. The lost father plot was not the only plot in the show. Your the one who could not stop thinking about it. your the one who let that plot point get in the way of your enjoyment of the show. It "could" have gone ether way but it went the way you wanted and your still complaining. Why complain about what could have been when it was not?

15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I felt that I was bringing up valid concerns about the show. As you said, I wouldn't have watched the show at all, if all I was going to do was complain about it (i.e., because then [for me, anyway] the show wouldn't have been worth posting about). The show is actually decent for the most part, although I didn't really like the running gag with the Star Trek parody (which, if anything, reminds people of what they already know; that Leo looks up to it as inspiration for being a better leader). It's just that I've seen shows before where they do long term plots that involve missing parents, or other plots that could potentially involve tragedy, where the viewers are led to think there will be a positive ending, but then it suddenly turns out to be either tragic, ambiguous, uncertain, or otherwise unresolved (there have been cases where this type of plot has ended in a cliffhanger), and I was concerned that this--again--otherwise decent show might do the same thing. By not having April and her father reunite sooner (i.e., so he could help the Turtles), I felt that they were just making it harder in the event that it did turn tragic. It would have been different if we knew they were going to reunite for sure, but instead it was written in a way that made so that it was unclear what would happen; that it could literally have gone either way. Just to be clear, I am grateful that it ended positively, but considering everything that's happened in the show (or at least as much as possible), we can't be sure if the second season will try that again. I could have easily just waited until the finale, but that wouldn't have solved anything, especially since this show does respect the franchise's legacy for the most part (I repeat: for the most part), so there's that.

In any case, am I the only who thinks that Rob Paulsen playing Donatello may or may not have been a case of gag casting? I mean really, you'd have thought that he would play Raphael like he did before? However, that's a minor gripe (for now, at least)...

16. HellCat

I really don't see what's wrong with Space Heroes. I've found each installment hilarious for how sociopathic the captain is and the running joke of how what happens is partly dictated by Filmation-style stock footage. I want to see TMNT's writing improve but Space Heroes has become part of the show's appeal for me with its black humor and hints to how a plot is going to go.

17. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

Did anyone catch the House Party reference with Leo and Raph at the end?

Or am I just the oldest guy here?

18. StellaMagic

StellaMagic Active Member

I hope in the new season we'll see Dogpound and Fishface again. I wonder how they will react when they hear what Shredder did to Karai? I smell mutiny.

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that was fun :)

It certainly felt big but like a lot of "big" season finales it had it's share of problems. For being part of one of the season's longer arcs, I never really cared for April's dad and he seemed sorta just there throughout the episode. I know he was mind controlled but even after they get it off of him he doesn't do a whole lot in any way. April's gift isn't answered and I suppose that's fine as long as it's elaborated later in the show but as it is right now it's just as vague as it was before.

The Turtles attacking TCRI was cool as was the fight in the building. I liked that they technically succeeded but still weren't able to stop the Technodrome from appearing. Them infiltrating was cool too as they played around with gravity but I noticed that was conveniently dropped right at the end. Leo trying to do what's best for the team was a brave development for him and he did it twice! I actually thought his brothers looked sufficiently sad but I didn't mind that he showed up quickly, I felt that this episode needed a positive ending and it wouldn't be that without him. I also didn't mind the timing of the Splinter/ Shredder fight. The way I see it is he thinks he needs save April and by the time he realizes it's too late he probably isn't going out without a struggle. He even points out how insane Shredder is being about it. I liked their fight but I also felt it was off. I think it might have been the cutting away from it that disrupted its flow. Still Shredder bringing up the truth about Miwa was a nice touch and beating Splinter around after it felt good. As did him using his rat abilities to best him( I really liked him breaking the blade with his teeth as rats can chew through metal ). Karai showing up at the end was good as it really robbed Splinter of any fight and gave him his chance to leave.

Dance party was a fun way to end it too. Technodrome powering up was also a good cliffhanger. So season 1 is in the books and it was pretty good, I had some high hopes for the show when I first saw footage of it and it's now one of the shows I look forward too. It's got some things to work out but its strengths are strong and if it can find its footing hopefully it can become something really special.

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

No offense to the writers, but they really all but telegraphed that Karai was Miwa once Karai was introduced. Because this time Splinter had an infant daughter that "perished" in a fire with his wife. Karai shows up and is the same age Miwa should be. It's fine, just because I was expecting it doesn't make it bad. But the whole season was basically copying The Mask of Zorro from 1998.

A lot of things came full circle though. Leonardo completed watching his TV show. He was willing to sacrifice himself twice in order to stop the Kraang.

The main Kraang had a sort of effeminate voice. We still don't have many answers on why April is so important. I'm not sure why her mind is so attuned to the earth and why that can help the Kraang terraform the earth as well.

I liked the new take on the Technodrome.

My absolute favorite moment though was Splinter using his teeth to snap Shredder's gauntlet blade. That whole fight was epic. One of the best animated fight scenes I can recall in quite some time.

I mean would they really care? Fishface was pretty much a career criminal when he got in league with Shredder. Bradford/Dogpound wasn't exactly an honorable dude. They were both basically mob enforcers. They both appear to be scared of and subservient to him even as mutants.