1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment on the 1st Season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

30.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

The all-new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have arrived!

[​IMG]

#101 - "Rise of the Turtles, Part 1"
    Premieres
    : Friday, September 28 at 8:00pm ET/PT on Nickelodeon (a special preview of the 1st episode)
    Encores: Saturday at 11am; click here for more updates
    When Splinter allows his teenage sons, the Mutant Ninja Turtles, to visit the surface for the first time, they discover that the surface world isn't as simple as it first appears.

#102 - "Rise of the Turtles, Part 2"
    Premieres
    : Saturday, September 29 at ~11:30am ET/PT on Nickelodeon (during the special 1 hour premiere)
    Encores: Click here for more updates

Discuss the series premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

2. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

After reading James glowing review I'm even more excited to see this long awaited return of my favorite turtles.

3. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

So Leonardo's a Trekkie in this version of TMNT. That's....different.

4. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I like how all the various media has their own art style. The Star Trek show is 1960s animation, and the magazine Raph had was photorealistic.

5. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Mikey is the first to see the brain-looking alien: just like the 80s series. Also, Splinter origin is like the 80s series and not the comic/2007 sereis.

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

The first episode was awesome. Even the anime-aspects don't hinder this show like it would others.

Look forward to tomorrow!

7. army128

army128 Member

I like it. Campy, but balanced with good action and dialogue.

The out-of-style expressions popping out of their heads kinda irks me. Kinda like how Teen Titans and Fullmetal Alchemist did it.

8. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

As I said in the other thread, I had hoped that this episode's premise wouldn't be just a medium for making the same joke(s) for a half hour, and I can thankfully say it wasn't.

The episode was pretty good. For the most part, it was true to previous versions of the Turtles: Leo tries to be leader, Mike is the comedic one, Don likes technology, etc, and Raph is sometimes impatient and quick to anger. However, near the end, there was kind of a redundant reminder of the previous scene where we learn that they haven't learned about teamwork yet. Luckily that didn't overtake the entire episode, nor did the "Hai, Sensei" bit (fortunately). Oh yeah, I felt that the "Cadmium processor" bit was funny, and clever.

In any event however, this was just one episode. I felt it was well balanced, but I hope it will stay like this for however long the show lasts. In other words, I hope that down the road, this show doesn't try to subvert the characters or story in any way. Most of all though, I hope that down the road, it doesn't decide to switch gears and focus more on one part of the show at the expense of everything else (for that reason, I'm still worried about that report from several months back that it would somehow emphasize the "teenage" aspect of the characters...). To reiterate, after just one episode, I thought the show was really good, and I hope it stays that way.

Don't forget the movies. Speaking of, was Mike's "that's us" meant to be a shout out to the 1990 movie? That's kind of what it felt like to me...

9. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :D
    The CGI looks good,I enjoy the action and funny scenes but i don't know about Donatello falling in love with April
    My favorite parts are Michelangelo eating a pizza for the first time,Michelangelo with Krang on his face,Splinter picks Leonardo as Leader,and Leonardo making hand signs XD
    I can't wait to see Part 2

10. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

This was surprisingly good. I was put off by the designs at first, but I quickly got used to them. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that the first episode was pretty good. I initially didn't like the design for the turtles, but they worked better in the actual show than I thought they would. Even Splinter's design looked a bit better. It had a nice balance of action and comedy, which I hope continues with future episodes, and the exaggerated out-of-style expressions didn't seem too distracting. I think that could work as long as they were minimal. I also liked how the turtles didn't have great teamwork during their first fight on the surface and that their training as individuals didn't automatically lead them to work great as a team. Overall, it was a pretty solid first episode and I'm eager to see the second one sometime tomorrow.

12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Good first episode. It's a little different but I like the style of the show. I think they get the dynamic of the group very well. I like this take on Splinter so far. I'd be interested to see if they explore what the hell becoming a mutant rat does to a human being's mind. I mean how is Splinter so cool headed about being a giant freaking vermin? And why did mutagen turn him into vermin anyway? Is that his zodiac sign?

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I personally thought that was kind of iffy. After all, they wouldn't really be the TMNT if they didn't (ultimately learn to) work together as a team. That would completely subvert the characters, possibly even turning them into in-name-only renditions. In any case, I'm not too worried (at least for now).

As for exploring what "becoming a mutant rat does to a human being's mind", with all due respect, if they were to start getting into that, that could possibly detract from the rest of the series. At least at this point, we're meant to assume that he's still a human on the inside, even though he's a rat on the outside. For this reason, he's "cool headed" about it, because he just is. I'd go so far as to say that it's because he's just that awesome. As for why the ooze turned him into a rat, we may or may not find out in a (much) later episode (they just better not look like they'll tell us, then suddenly backpedal on that, regardless if it's comedic or dramatic). In any case, there are some things we're not supposed to think about, and I suspect that Splinter and his being a rat may be one of them. One thing is certain, I wouldn't like it if they made "Hamato Yoshi" a separate character anyway (whether intentional or not this show is implying that he and this Splinter are the same person, just like in the 1980s series)...

14. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

In the origin we saw a normal rat running by Hamato Yoshi's legs. They seem to be using the mutagen origin from the original cartoon, where humans are mutated into the last animal they had been in contact with.

Splinter being human was used in the original cartoon and Archie TMNT comics, and he didn't particularly mind being a rat for too long there either.

15. Anyone00

I wonder if this version will have a Karai and if it does will she end-up being Splinter's daughter?

16. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Wild speculation here, but I think Splinter's daughter is still alive, and is Karai. When thing I learned from comics and manga, is presumed dead infints or young kids in flashbacks always turn out to be alive and relevent in the story in someway.

17. trance2009

I like how their eyes go all white when they engage in attack mode.

18. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

anyone else a little creeped out at Donatello crush on april

19. trance2009

It makes sense, as Donnie is normally the one to get crushes on non-turtle chicks in the comics.

Carlos Chiang O'Brien Gambe. Haha.

Whoa, this Oroku Saki is disfigured.

20. Anyone00

Now that's multicultural.

Well they showed fighting in a fire in the flashback; likely burns from that fight.