1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 25, 2015.

?

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - Rate and Comment on the Fourth Season!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

16.7%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Our heroes head off into space for the fourth season premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

[​IMG]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    #401 - Beyond the Known Universe"

The Team meets a strange alien robot called the Fugitoid.

What did you think of the fourth season premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Related Discussions:
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So time travel saves the day.

Lord Dregg, awww snap.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE using Tapatalk

#2 trance2009, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

At least it wasn't as simple as a reset button. They actually have to save their planet.

Fugitoid is hiding something, he built the black hole generator, I can feel it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Well, now we know what the turtles are up to this season.

That was a pretty standard Mos Eisley scene right down to the hyperspace escape.

Yeah, that makes sense. He was wanted for inventing teleportal in the 2003 show, so having him design the black hole generator isn't too out of place here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. While using time travel to save the Earth was one of the possibilities that came up from the previous season finale, I wasn't expecting that to happen right in the season premiere. I thought that they would build up to that revelation instead of just undoing everything that happened right off the bat. Although, the fact that they still have to prevent the Triceratons from getting the black hole generator to save their planet's destruction in six month does make it better than just a reset button. They still have to work to make sure that their planet isn't destroyed again, they only have six months to do so and they don't get another chance after the six months are up. I was just caught off guard with how restoring the Earth that quickly and that they actually did temporarily kill everyone besides the main cast in the season finale.

Since they went back in time, does that mean that the turtles from six months ago are still on Earth while the present time turtles are traveling in space? That should also include April and Casey. If that's the case, then I wonder how they'd handle that detail once they prevent the planet's destruction.

The new space suits were pretty cool and I loved how Leo was just so happy to be in space. It was just so funny and cute since he still loves that Star Trek-like show from season one. The way nearly everyone was enjoying drifting through space was kind of neat and it wasn't jarring like Casey being so excited in the finale since the Earth was back and they had time to save it.

The Fugitoid being involved with the black hole generator would make sense. It would explain why he was focused on their mission more than the others. He still seemed generally okay, but there was more focus on the others getting used to traveling through space than on his character. I liked the different designs for the aliens and the others all getting into trouble for one reason or another was expected. Overall, it was a pretty good episode that helped to setup the new storyline for this season.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Turtles' space adventure kicks off in a solid premier for season 4, with enough action, humor, and cool space/alien visuals to leave me excited for the rest of the season and the show's new direction :D.

I wasn't expecting them to completely overhaul the opening, or the neat little touch by having it be interrupted by the Triceratons, and I think this is the most it's been changed. Which is appropriate considering how much different things for the Turtles are now compared to before. I thought it was a pretty cool myself, with some great new visuals of the Turtles, April, and Casey in their new space duds, Professor Honeycutt, and the villains they'll be fighting this season :cool:.

On the one hand, a time travel solution is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina that kinda takes the punch out of everything that happened in the season 3 finale, but considering how badly things had gone I guess it was the only real solution or method to saving the Earth and stopping the Triceratons. And at least there's still the risk of failure, since the Turtles have a timetable and have to go up against the whole empire to stop them from constructing the wormhole, and that they can't just use time travel again. Now that they're back six months before the invasion, that means everybody in New York is alive, as well as the Kraang and the crew of the Triceraton ship that the Turtles chucked into space. I wonder how long before the Turtles meet them again for the first time :confused:?

The Fugitoid seems like he'll be a nice, fun, addition to the cast and I can really appreciate the awesomeness of having David Tennant voicing him. Though there's far more then just that going for the character, from how exactly he became cyborg, how he knows so much about the Triceratons, and how he became affiliated with the Utroms. Looking forward to getting more insight into Honeycutt and seeing him play off the cast more :).

The Turtles' space suits were pretty cool, and they're much more of a proper upgrade compared to their spirit quest gear from season 3. We have Leo and Donnie with new weapons, Casey has exploding hockey pucks (wonder who designed those?), and everybody now has nifty laser guns. And April looks pretty great in her new outfit, and very reminiscent of her classic yellow jumpsuit from the '86 cartoon, though I think her old clothes were a bit more skintight by comparison ;).

Leo's pretty much living out his wildest dream come true, from being on a spaceship cruising through the galaxy, with laser guns and whole other worlds to explore, and seeing him react to it and basically live out Space Heroes is really fun to watch. Especially when he tries flirting with an attractive, exotic, alien lady only for her giant boyfriend to turn up :p.

We finally get to meet Lord Dregg, and while right now the Turtles are likely more concerned about the Triceraton Empire, Dregg and his army will probably become a major recurring threat for them going forward. And this episode did a good job effectively showing just how much of a threat he is, establishing that he's the ruler of a powerful insect kingdom with a strong hold in the galaxy and that he's strong enough to shrug off pretty much anything the Turtles throw at him. The only part of him that doesn't seem invulnerable is his mouth, as April discovered when she blasted him and gave Leo the opportunity to get a good hit in, but that's not much to go on o_O.

His design is also pretty cool, with the whole gelatinous humanoid insect with shifting body parts thing. His giant wasp ship looks like it'll be a lot of trouble, especially because it can release his robot insect drones who are quite a bit tougher then your average Foot bot or Kraang. Definitely someone to watch out for, especially now that he's sworn revenge against the Turtles for ruining his deal and humiliating him :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
    #6 Frontier, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was hoping there'd be a few moments spent on Splinter's passing and how it has affected the team, although with the Turtles given a second chance to save everyone I'm sure we won't hear of it too much. Still this was a good episode. A lot happened so the pace was pretty quick but I do like how it just tossed us into everything much like how the Turtles were tossed into this situation. It looks like the Turtles have their long-term goal of finding those parts set up for the season. Honeycut was handled great and the alien world was cool to see though. I was surprised that we saw Lord Dregg so soon. I like the design and the voice. It's like they took the design from the 1987 show and made it and the voice creepier. Great cliffhanger ending too!

• Like Like x 2
  8. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Really didn't like this episode. It really bothered me how they just basically wiped away the third season finale as if it never even existed. The turtles will most likely stop the invasion and Splinter will be saved and everything will most likely go back to normal once they get back to the city, again. I didn't care for any of the characters messing around on that planet, and Dregg was really not interesting at all. Season 4 is off to a worse start than season 3 got off to IMO. And that seems like it should be impossible.

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Did you really think that the producers were just going to leave the Earth destroyed and everyone on the planet except for the Turtles, April and Casey dead? I figured there'd be some Deus Ex Machina way of restoring the Earth via time travel or something similar, I just didn't expect it to happen in the very first episode of the season. The thing is, the characters went back in time, then that means there are past versions of the Turtles, April and Casey still on Earth, so it remains to be seen how that will be resolved.

There are still stakes, however. The Turtles have to stop the Triceritons from invading the Earth and they only 6 months to do it.

#9 Goldstar Neo, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  10. StorytellerMJ5

Of course not. But, if they did use time travel to fix it, I was hoping it would be near the mid season finale, not the first episode. But, I really was hoping they would not use time travel because again it makes the season 3 finale pointless. Why go through that whole big event, if they were planning to wipe it away 5 minutes into the next episode. That's what bothers me.

Even if they only have 6 months to do it, they're going to save the Earth. Unless they have some kind of twist prepared it makes things a little too predictable for me.

I will admit the idea of two versions of those six has me interested. That's one of the few things about season 4 I want to see play out.

11. Dragnatek

Only its not pointless. The events will still happen the way they did if the Turtles cannot stop them. This is not as simple as a reset button to undo everything, they actually have to work toward it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And they still have to go up against the Triceratons basically on their own and get each piece of the bomb, and even with the combined efforts of the Foot and Mutanimals by their side they could barely fight off just one contingent of the Triceratons which is partly why they failed to save the Earth in the finale :(.

Even if the Turtles do succeed, and they're likely to do so, it's not going to be a cakewalk. Especially when they also have Dregg and other evil space villains on their tail :eek:.

And I imagine once they actually do change time there might be some unexpected effects to altering events, considering how crazy time travel can be, and even if Splinter survive the Turtles will still have the knowledge that Shredder killed him and doomed the Earth in the process :mad:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StorytellerMJ5

But, I'm assuming that they will stop them. Which is the logical thing to assume at this point. If the turtles do stop the invasion, than yes the season 3 finale will have been pointless, because it never happened. All that emotion and drama never really happened, Splinter didn't die, their friends didn't get captured, the Earth wasn't destroyed and so on. It might as well be a reset button. Sure anything that happens in space will still be there, but I'm talking specifically about the season 3 finale. I would've rather them not do what they did there in the first place.

At least season 3 didn't change the fact that the season 2 finale did happen, even if it wasn't handled all that well IMO.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can understand expecting the time travel solution to happen later on in the season since I thought that there would be more of a buildup to that happening as well. Even so, I wouldn't say that it makes the season three finale pointless. It did cause the turtles to go into space to prevent that disaster from happening in the first place, so that alone prevents the finale from being pointless. It might be more accurate to say that going back in time to undo the destruction of Earth in the first five minutes of the premiere does reduce the emotional weight of the finale. They lost everything and everyone they ever cared about and then that was all brought back so quickly in the premiere. It does help that it wasn't a complete reset since they still have to work to make sure that the disaster doesn't happen again in six months and they can't just time travel again to make it better, but going back in time to temporarily undo the damage from the season finale still took a bit too much of the emotional kick of that finale out.

It seems more odd to me to complain that they're going to save the Earth. Yeah, it's predictable, even though I'm sure that there will be a lot of challenges in their way so it won't be easy, but do you really think that they wouldn't be able to save the Earth eventually? It's like complaining that the heroes will eventually be able to defeat their enemies. I am curious about how the two versions of the main cast will play out as well, even though there is more that I want to see season four play out beyond that plot point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StorytellerMJ5

Yeah, I like that better. The emotion part, that's probably what's bugging me about it. It doesn't help that season 3 barely had the turtles care about what was going on in the city while they were away. At least here there is a real reason, but I still don't like it.

Of course they were going to save the Earth, but it's the way that the premiere basically spelled out how everything will unfold barring any twists. They have 6 months and they have to stop the Triceratons. They already lost once, so they won't lose again most likely. There's really no mystery. Yes, the heroes almost always beat the villains, and of course the journey to that point is the most important part of the story, but I just don't care about watching that journey. I don't really like the Triceratons and I just don't expect this show to do to much interesting stuff while in space and I would've have rather seen them stay on Earth and deal with Shredder and Karai. Even if that story could be kind of clunky at times as well.

I just think I've lost a whole lot of interest in this show. Which is too bad because it still has so much potential.

16. Dragnatek

True but we knew it would be undone. Still this is better then completely removing what happened. They have to stop it from happening. There was no way they would destroy earth for good and wipe out three fourths of the shows cast. But it was not pointless as it needs to be prevented. If the time travel was all that was needed then it would be pointless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that stopping the invasion would make the season three finale pointless. The finale will be undone by traveling back in time, but if they didn't do that, then everyone would be dead and the Earth would be destroyed. All of those deaths won't happen, but that doesn't make it pointless. Preventing that disaster from happening is important. Just because they're fighting to make sure that invasion and destruction doesn't happen doesn't mean that it is pointless. Besides that, they would have either had to have some way to undo the destruction or throw in a twist like that the Earth was just teleported to some other place instead of being destroyed through a black hole. I can understand having issues with undoing the damage so early on in the season, but it would have had to happen at some point.

I don't know if I'd say that the turtles barely cared about what was going on in the city while they were away, even though they were in the farm a lot longer than I expected. Still, I can understand being bothered by all of that emotional weight being undone. It is still better than a reset button and they still have work to make sure that they don't lose this second chance, but doing it so early in the premiere and right after losing everyone they cared about did give me kind of mixed feelings.

I'm not sure if I agree that there's no real mystery. Yeah, they've set up the basic premise by saying that they have six months to stop the Triceratons and get the black hole generator before they do, but that doesn't mean that there won't be any twists and turns along the way. They are going to come up with challenges along the way and it won't be easy. We just know the basic outline of what the turtles will be doing in this season and the obvious conclusion that they'll be able to save the world this time, but I don't think that means we know everything that is going to happen in this season. Although, if you don't care about the journey, then that would make it more difficult to enjoy the show.

While I kind of would like them to deal with at least Karai so that she could possibly join the team, I think that it's actually kind of good for the turtles to get off of Earth for awhile. They've been fighting mostly mutants for awhile, which got old after awhile, especially with some of the one shot mutants. They'll be dealing with aliens more often instead and I think that can be refreshing at this point. Plus, it didn't seem like they knew how to advance Karai's storyline that much and the same with Shredder, so taking a breather from those storylines for awhile in favor of something different might be better in the long run.

It does sound like the show isn't enjoyable for you and hasn't been so for awhile, which is completely understandable. Personally, I still like it. It still isn't as good as the 2k3 series was for me, but it's pretty solid and enjoyable fun for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While the Turtles did probably take a lot longer in Northampton then they needed to, I don't think that's a sign that they didn't care what was going on in the city. They were just coming off one of their biggest defeats, and Leo was badly beaten, so they all arguably needed quite a bit of time to rest and recuperate before going back to save New York.

Now, could there have been scenes of the Turtles musing on what's going on in New York or trying to find out? Sure, and that probably would've assuaged some of the complaints that they were just twiddling their thumbs in the woods. But just because we didn't see it doesn't mean the Turtles weren't worried about what the Foot and Kraang were up to, and I recall quite a few season 3 episodes showing the Turtles training and Leo steadily improving so as to show that they were steadily building up to going back. Maybe not as upfront as it should've been, but it was there ;).

19. StorytellerMJ5

That's a pretty fair point. It's just i don't like when a show does some big moment, like with Splinter, only to wipe it away. Which is what will happen. I didn't expect Splinter to die, but I think they just caught me off guard with time travelling in the first episode.

I just don't remember them mentioning the city much in those early season 3 episodes. At times it almost felt like they forgot all about it and didn't even care about Splinter at all. I really don't remember them even mentioning Splinter's name until that training episode like 7 or 8 episodes into the season. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, the 2k3 show is a show I really love. Back during season 2 of this show, I would say I probably loved them both almost the same, but season 3 of this show and the fact that I got to watch seasons 1-4 of that show made me love 2k3 a lot more.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can understand that, especially when Splinter dying was one of the most shocking moments of that finale, but to be fair, they would have to undo it at some point. They wouldn't just let Splinter stay dead. I wasn't expecting them to time travel in the first episode, but they would have needed to find some way to undo all of the death and destruction from the finale at some point. Otherwise, the turtles would be stuck in space for the rest of the series fighting against aliens to avenge the Earth.

I don't remember the turtles bringing up the city or Splinter that much during the time they were on that farm either, but I don't think that it means that they forgot all about it or that they didn't care about Splinter. They did suffer a pretty huge defeat and they needed time to recover, especially when Leo was seriously injured and it took him awhile just to be able to walk again. If they brought up the city more, then it would have been probably to be more upset at themselves for failing to protect everyone. It probably wouldn't have hurt to bring up the city and Splinter more often, but I don't think that they didn't care by not bringing them up. They just needed to have a bit more time to distance themselves from it and recover their strength. If anything, I was more surprised that the Krang didn't take over the world while they were stuck on that farm.

The 2k3 series is really good. I think that this series has better comedy and it usually pulls off balancing both comical and serious tones, but the 2k3 series has stronger writing that makes it more engaging and their version of the Shredder is way better than this series' Shredder. He's way more intimidating and threatening in my opinion and has an awesome voice to boot.

• Agree Agree x 1