"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Rate and Comment on the fifth season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

12.5%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

12.5%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

This show really ended up ending with a sad whimper. I think the quality started going down after the Turtles escaped the city after the Kraang had taken over. There was still a lot of good episodes, but there was some really meh-episodes during that season too, and too much time in that cabin. The show focused way too much on introducing characters and not enough on what to do with them. Like, what was the point of Spyder-Bytes or IceCream Kitty (aside from Mikey not being good around pets)? Some plots were never dealt with either, like Mutagen-Man, April's Mother possibly still being alive, HoneyCutt still alive in space, etc. I also did not like how the Kraang and Shredder were finally dealt with. Super Shredder was just a Doomsday-version of regular Shredder and didn't look as badass as the normal version of Shredder. The shipping with April and Donatello was toxic for the show. It's like the writers made her part-mutant to justify it, and when there was a chance for the writers to end it, they end up pushing it instead.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Speaking of introducing characters, Hun was hardly used after his introduction. Which is a shame, because he would have made a good part of the Turtles' rogues gallery, being far more skilled than the other Purple Dragons members.

Yeah, I'm also disappointed with Mutagen Man never being de-mutated (in fact, he never appears after the Season 2 finale, outside a cameo or two), as well as what happened to April's mom never being addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

So it looks like this Bebop and Rocksteady: Wanted special (Also the series finale of TMNT 2012), kicked off with a newly animated classic 1987 TMNT style in the beginning. Pretty nice move for the series finale.

4. asfaloth12

asfaloth12 New Member

Fone Bone, It's OK as an alternate reality, but not as a canon series finale. Even then, there are some serious flaws. The animation and voice acting were excellent as always, other than some unfortunate character designs. The storytelling, however, was poor. I would not call it a bittersweet ending; "nihilistic" seems more appropriate. It basically makes all of the Turtles' accomplishments and sacrifices meaningless...or at least it would if it were the canon ending. Fortunately, Nick is treating it as non-canon. I can see why; there were some pretty significant plot holes (mainly with Renet's description of the Turtles' actual future). More like a plot abyss, actually. I hated the way they pretty much disposed of April and Karai. Pretty unfortunate implications there. I can't believe I'm agreeing with Nickelodeon, but I'm glad they made the Crossover the official finale. Personally, I view Owari as the true ending, with the Kavaxas arc as an epilogue. But, the Crossover is a lot of fun, and still way better than Raph's self-insert Mad Max fanfic...excuse me, I mean MA.
    **Yes, I know what Ciro Nieli's wishes were. I don't care. I choose to think for myself **

As for kids....it would depend on the kid. If they are an aspiring edgelord and/or loves car chases and they don't put a whole lot of thought into things and/or don't get attached to fictional characters, they may be fine :) If he/she gets very attached to characters, it could be dicy. But, it could still be taken as a learning opportunity in thinking for oneself (whether they end up liking the arc or not). I would recommend re-watching Renet's episodes first; then discuss whether the MA arc fits into the future she describes, or whether an alternate reality interpretation fits better. However, the whole treatment of April and Karai could be...concerning.. for young girls.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Where did Nick say it was non-canon? Because that will actually help.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Wanted: Bebop & Rocksteady"

That was a lot of fun. People think the last 87 Turtles crossover was good, but I don't really. Mostly because that episode treated the 87 Turtles as a legit incarnation, and tried to give them a bit of credibility, which in the context of this particular incarnation, does not work at all. Here these 87 Turtles are considered goofy and bug-eyed. And they should be, because they are.

I loved all of the little jokes at the original series' expense. It's a TON of little things, but there are so many that it's amusing. Like the fact that the Turtles don't actually use their weapons. 87 Leonardo says earnestly "But if I swing my sword at someone, they could get a cut. And that would be wrong." That's a great moral for an 80's kiddie cartoon. As cartoon involving ninjas? Not so much.

About the only subversive thing about the Toon Turtles is that their version of Space Heroes is live-action, exactly as gruesome as the cartoon in our universe, and much more disturbing for that fact.

But what does a live-action show actually look like for the 87 Turtles? Inquiring minds want to know.

Some more great "little gripes" are the fact that when 87 Raphael taps a fire hydrant, it doesn't automatically explode. Shredder and Krang seem a little too free with the insults to their employees, especially since Krang looks like a giant pregnant man wearing a brain for a belt. Also interesting that Bebop and Rocksteady realize they are actually smarter than Krang and Shredder upon the gloating moment. And they actually beat Shredder in a fight which is the correct idea too. And it makes sense they turn on Shredder and Krang in the end. They don't want the Earth destroyed. They live here too. I might have even been satisfied with the ending of them wanting to become Superheroes if "Mutant Apocalypse" wasn't the elephant in the room, and the turd in the punchbowl. 87 Bebop just wants to dance, which feels right as well. 2012 Bebop is a dancer too.

Other great "Little moments" included the 87 Turtles thinking news reporters actually wear jumpsuits, and Shredder and Krang realizing that our Turtles showing up was bad because they are actually dangerous. And that was fun too.

All in all, this wasn't enough to wash the taste of Mutant Apocalypse out of my mouth, but it was enjoyable in its own right. And probably the only episode this season where that is true. I sort of see why Nick held off airing it for last. *****.

6. asfaloth12

asfaloth12 New Member

Fone Bone,
    So Nick has been treating it as non-canon on the official TMNT twitter. It was pretty convincing to me ;) If you want, there are a couple posts on Tumblr that discuss this issue as well. Also, one of the character designers (in a video discussing Raph's design for the arc) described the arc as "this reality", instead of "the future". Honestly, even without Nick, I just prefer to think for myself. It simply doesn't make sense to me as a canon story arc with the massive plot abyss involving Renet and her description of the future. I can say without a doubt that Ciro Nieli would disagree with me, but I don't care.

I agree that the Crossover was a blast. Bebop and Rocksteady cracked me up :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Villano

Villano Member

I totally agree. Way to much time spent in the woods. And then, when they finally came back to the city, they were off on a time travel adventure. They return to New York for a short time only to go off to space for waaaayyyyy too long. The outer space stuff dragged so bad, I was planning on dropping the series. Fortunately, my breaking point coincidentally came right at the end of the space adventure and I decided to stick it out to the end.

After that, things were hit or miss. The final season was okay, but unnecessary. I would have been fine if it ended with Shredder's defeat. I'm just glad the Apocalypse wasn't the final episode to air. It's okay as an "imaginary story", but, if that was my last glimpse of these Turtles, it would have felt like a slap in the face.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

my breaking point came before that. I've watched bits and pieces of the space/time adventure and the latest season hoping for it to get better, but it doesn't.

Shredder wasn't even Shredder by the time he was killed off. He was reduced to being a mindless killing machine.
    The Apocalypse story was a good as a what-if, but even then, the fact that the Turtles can't even keep their allies alive, kind of hurt the plot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I tend to agree. The space arc could have and should have been condensed to only 5 episodes or so, not 13, which was what we got.

I would say that Season 2 is the best season.

• Like Like x 1