1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Rate and Comment on the fifth season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!"

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

25.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

The new crossover special was nice, but I wish we had seen '87 April and Casey meeting their 2012 counterparts. But I did like how much like Tiger Claw some episodes ago, Bebop and Rocksteady ended up making a truce with the Turtles to help defeat '87 Shredder and Krang.

2. Dukenukem3do

Dukenukem3do New Member

I wish they could crossover with their 2003 counterparts too

3. Chaos160

Chaos160 Occasional Member

The Mutant Apocalypse was quite a finale.

However, I wish there was an episode that showed exactly what happened when the mutagen bomb exploded and who caused it to go kaboom.

The picture with Splinter and the turtles placed a few tears in my eyes.

Goodbye 2012 turtles. You will be missed.

For Kevin And Peter

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Awesome. That ended up being better than I thought it would. Working on the first part I wasn't sure how it would all turn out, and my contract ended before I saw the other two teams finish their animation.
    I'll post my thoughts on the three parter soon as well as funny tales of life behind the scenes soon. Buy if anyone has questions, I'd like to answer them yo the best of my abilities.

Hard to believe that I was finishing up this story just five months ago.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

5. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

You do realize that there are 7 episodes left to air on TV, do you?

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

True but if you have the dvd that were released earlier or being a production order stickler, this is the end of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chaos160

Chaos160 Occasional Member

I saw the 1987 crossover arc already as I am a production order stickler.

Couple of questions Wonderwall:
    1. What exactly were you on the TMNT 2012 production staff?
    2. Is this the end of your time working for Nickelodeon?
    3. WHERE THE HECK DID THE MUTAGEN BOMB COME FROM!? Really wished there was an episode or an explanation about the flashback.
    4. What is your absolute favorite TMNT 2012 episode?

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

1. CG Animator on Team Rahzar for Season 5 at Bardel Entertainment. I was one of the grunts, that's my affectionate nickname fr animators since we make up the bulk of the workforce

2. I technically didn't work for Nick, I worked for Bardel, who Nick contracts out and have for about a decade. Nickelodeon are big fans of their work and trust them, they are currently working on a Christmas TV movie with them as far as I know. Wouldn't be surprised if they are working on more shows though. This is non TMNT stuff though.

3. No idea lol, I'm just gonna assume it was either Kraang or someone else using a Kraang tech. I had heard from someone who works at Nick that there was gonna be a fourth part to this arc but Nick wanted the 80s crossover

4. Favorite episode as a fan or the ones I worked on? Oooh that's a tough one but I think the one that sticks out the most is The Gauntlet, I just thought it was the best way to have the boys fight Shredder for the first time, and they fought Kraang and Bradford, Xever before that. As for the one I worked on...maybe The Forgotten Swordsmen? Though I felt skills wise my best work was easily The Wasteland Warrior, though I really liked my fight scene in When Worlds Collide pt 1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Elijah Abrams

There's also the four horror-themed episodes that haven't aired yet.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wanna say those were released on DVD but not in North America. I do know people have seen them though as images and videos have popped up already.

But yes we still have two stories left to air here, just saying that final image was there for a reason.

#90 Wonderwall, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Elijah Abrams

Dang it.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Raphael: Mutant Apocalypse"

Wow, what a lousy ending. I am amazed at how much I hated that.

The Mutagen bomb went off and the world was practically destroyed? Casey and April were killed? Who in their right mind thought this was an appropriate ending for five seasons?

I'm actually a bit ticked off to be honest. *.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Turtles even got their new allies killed off in less than a day. And how is Ice-Cream Kitty still alive without a freezer to keep if cold?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay so I watched these episodes yesterday finally. It was quite a trip, I've gone back and forth on what I feel about this arc, back when I worked on it and now that I've watched it as a viewer. But I think in the end I have more positives feelings than negative.

Obviously I have the biggest attachment to the first part, The Wasteland Warrior, as that was the one I worked on for 3 months. I'll get into more of the behind the scenes on that later but I want to talk about the episodes themselves first.

These episodes are almost non stop action, very intense and very cool vehicle set pieces( I'm so glad they turned out so well ) and I always liked the designs of Raph, Donnie, Verminator Rex and the Ravagers. Meera was a cool, new character that proved her worth without upstaging anyone. Verminator was a cool villain and it was nice to see him in all the episodes, I wasn't totally sure if he was in the last two. Even though the setting is a wasteland and desert, I thought it looked really cool, there was a lot of nice lighting and effects when there was dusk/ night shots.

Second part it was nice to see Mikey again, even if he was now almost crazy but still had a lot of Mikey-isms. His hygiene left a little to be desired...poor Raph. And it was nice to see he was still with Ice Cream Kitty and now taking care of Chompy. Chompy, now more grown up was a treat, but he was still cute. It's been 50 years but considering his mom's size and his life expectancy, he's probably still a toddler. I thought the Iguana guys were pretty cool design wise, but the main one didn't quite hit the high as Rex, but luckily Rex was still around so they played each other nicely.

As for the final part, I was pleased to see the Thunderdome, I was hoping to see a Master Blaster character but we don't always get what we want. Raph winning his handicap match was fun and winning over the Iguana men with his win was cool. Leo being the bad guy was interesting, didn't much care for his unmasked design, if anything I thought he should be a little more gruesome looking like he was in the storyboards. The final chase and fight with Raph and Leo was cool too, I enjoyed his giant truck barreling down on them in that canyon. The finale with them together at last in Oasis was nice, as was the final shot of the way we know them and with Splinter. I would agree that it was rushed but I'm glad they got that final shot of the family there. Same with the very last drawing of Leo( I believe ) thanking Peter and Kevin.

It's a shame that we didn't see what happened to others, but none more than April. Someone so integral should have gotten something, I understood they were up against it time wise and I was told that there was supposed to be another part but Nick had other ideas. Though I think that could have been remedied with 26 episodes and not 20, but it doesn't matter now. And not gonna lie it's a downer but TMNT historically sometimes had done pretty downer stories in the comics so it fits, even if it's not what I personally would have done.

Okay this post has gotten long so I'll leave it that for now but I will post how the first part went behind the scenes since that requires it's own post lol.

15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Stewing more on that ending, I truly believe we were shafted. We got TWO great endings for the 2003 Turtles in The Wedding and Turtles Forever. Both of those were the best ways to wrap up both a series and an entire franchise. I am starting to get more and more ticked off to how much were just hosed.

Edit: And how inappropriate was that ending for small children? They made Build-A-Bear plushes for this incarnation of the Turtles, for Heaven's sake. They were probably traumatized.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you underestimate what kids can handle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I could barely handle it so I imagine some kids would have it much worse.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay so I got some time, let's talk funny behind the scenes stories. So TV shows never run perfectly, that includes cartoons and TMNT too.

I had mentioned before that sometimes we worked with rigs that weren't 100% finished, I recall Tatsu for instance for the first two weeks looked a little different than he would by the end in The Forgotten Swordsman. Same episode we had the tiny set where the final fight took place, so we had to shrink the characters down to 60% of their regular height.

Or in When World's Collide they electrical station and and the big bug ship werent done for a long time and the unfinished assets caused the computers to chug like no one's business. Every arc had some kind of technical issue due to the scope of the stories. But I don't think any of them compare what we encountered on The Wasteland Warrior. Before we started the final phase of the episode my director called my team "The Frontline" as we would be the first team that would have to deal with the technical issues Nickelodeon was gonna throw at us.

Teams Leo and Tigerclaw would have their own issues too but even they had a little more to work with than us. For instance we didn't have a single rig ready when we started production on the episode. NOT ONE! Our layout phase was one of the most pointless and hilarious times I've had working in this industry. And I've been working for four years now. The only thing that made it not pointless was that the cameras were in place during this phase and they wouldn't change much. But there is an edit in the Bardel and Nickelodeon networks that has the whole episode, every single shot, you have unfinished character rigs in T poses. I wish I had copied it, it was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Characters weren't the only things not done, same for the vehicles and even the sets. I just remember having to constantly go back into shots til my last day to adjust something because we kept getting rig updates that would mess something up. It was incredible really that the episodes ended up looking so good and we actually delivered final animation early...it was only three hours early but it was a victory that everyone gladly took.

I've never worked on an episode that had such a big difference from layout to TV aired version. And we only got one extra week to boot, not like a month. Just a week, not including Christmas...which btw we took a week off for holidays but Nickelodeon took two. That was annoying lol.

That aside, this show was the smoothest run production I've worked on so far, even this episode while it was stressful, I felt that no one panicked since everyone from the team and our production staff kept a cool head. The other shows I've been on it was always much more frantic, which is not how I like doing art.

My old mentor from school who was a lead on another team was telling me that TMNT was unlike any tv show he'd worked on. He also said most likely none of us would work on a show that's gives us that kind of time and calm to do the best job possible. I believe it, I just interviewed for a new show, that while it does sound fun, the turnaround is four weeks per episode...I'm gonna miss the sixteen TMNT afforded me.

#98 Wonderwall, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  19. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

To be brief, I loved the finale. It was bold and risky and just an interesting way to end it. I remember Auman said the finale would be the definitive end for the series so there's no way the series could be revisited. There's still that big gap between this finale and the episodes before so some stories could take place there it but I like how this finale puts a bow on everything. The very end is especially a little tear-inducing. I watched this with my 8-year old nephew and he loved it so I am sure kids can handle this just fine. This was such a great cartoon and probably the best TMNT ever (the 2k3 version is very very overrated). I found all the characters were really great, the action was superb and some of the stories were really well done. I liked the animation too (good work, Wonderwall & crew!). The first two seasons were the best, but there were plenty of great episodes over all five seasons. I'm actually going to miss this cartoon.

• Like Like x 2