1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Rate and Comment on the fifth season of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!"

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

25.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss the fifth and final season of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, featuring a special Tales of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anthology format!

[​IMG]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Season Five begins March 19th, 2017
    #501 - "Scroll of the Demondragon"

The Turtles believe they have defeated most of their old enemies, but they soon discover that a new evil is rising from the ashes.

What did you think of the fifth season premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

And, coming this season...

Related Discussions:

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (2016 Mini-Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Like Like x 1
  2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Tiger Claw is insane, Super Shredder went so crazy he couldn't tell between ally and enemy, you think zombie Shredder will work out any better? Not to mention that demon is going to wait and find his chance and turn on him

I hoping that space captain is not who Leo looks to as inspiration on being a leader, it is just entertainment, don't follow his example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #2 zoombie, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Wow that Next Generation parody is...that's really something. It almost feels like they're parodying how they would parody Star Trek.

Remember when Tiger Claw was just a contract assassin working for the Foot? Now he's a cultist with fanatical devotion to the cause? Really feels like we missed a few steps.

You can really feel the strain that comes with a long-running show with these cultists. After everything they've fought suddenly these hooded guys can just barehanded block Leo's sword and mop the floor with everyone with little effort.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zoombie

Yes Tiger Claw took a direction similar to Jon Canmore.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Alright season 5 is finally here! How exciting :D

So I may have mentioned it before but the biggest change from a behind the scenes perspective was that Bardel is responsible for all the episodes this season, instead of doing a third of the episodes as they had before. It's one of the reasons I got on, since they needed to more or less double the size of the TMNT team for this season. We had 8 animation teams that are all named after our heroes and villains. This was a team Mikey episode, I sit by them but I am not on their team. They are a cool bunch, friendly people and very talented.

So I saw this episode awhile ago all finished and it definitely inspired me when we all saw it done to really step up my animation game. Of course my lead and director and Nick's notes already do that but sometimes you need to see other people's work to see how you can improve. I'll tell you seeing what they did with Kavaxas especially helped a lot, as he was a character I had a hard time with getting his style down and his rig was quite complicated, especially his wings.

Here's a post my Production Manager put up today that has full credits for the team :). We all worked super hard on this and we still are too! We really hope everyone enjoys this final season, total blast to get to work on this show :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I thought this was a really good episode, as well as the other parts of this first arc (yes, I went ahead and got the DVD).

But yeah, I also question Tiger Claw for wanting to resurrect the Shredder. I mean, it seems that even Tiger Claw realized the Shredder just became too insane and dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

love the new opening

also, is it me or are they adapting the plot of Next Mutation out of all things?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeMabbon

Wow, Leatherhead actually killed Bradford. I kinda wondered, but I didn't think they'd go there. Feels like Bradford and Xever haven't gotten this much development since season 2.

I thought the ending fight looked very cool. Action shows made great use of white as a color motif this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zoombie

Dam it can't we just keep these people dead, it ruins the impact of them dying in the first place. And why do I have feeling at the end of the series, they are going to use this to bring Splinter back to life.

On another note is Karai part of the team now, I hope.

• Like Like x 1
    #9 zoombie, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Soooo....I worked on this one :D Feel free to ask me any questions you got with this one! So last week was Team Mikey, this time was the second orange team named Team Rahzar. We got some cool swag, when I finish up I might take some pics and show em off :)

It was a really fun episode to do and a nice little Foot story to get my feet wet with. The next two I worked on after would take us to strange places so it was nice to have a relatively grounded episode to start. Tatsu was real fun to work with and I remember I didn't take his mask off for awhile so I had no idea that they had modelled him after Toshishiro Obata. Which being a fan of the LA movies growing up, I was pleased as punch to see. Tigerclaw and the foot get closer to their goal by getting the head of Shredder, one piece down, one to go.

So I've seen this episode with animation done, then with lighting and comp, but not TV ready, and I was a little surprised to see that a few shots got cut completely or shortened. Nothing major, so that's good for the team for when they want to update their reels.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Just noticed that ratings for TMNT new season kept getting low numbers, last Sunday's fell UNDER 1 million viewers, for the first time, and new series low. I wonder if adult fanbase aren't interested or maybe leaked episodes released on DVD before airing on TV?

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

@Wonderwall, could you explain what is going on with the show and why the last season is so different from the rest? I would like to know what led to these changes and if this was planned from the start or if this was decided in the past few months to make a bridge between the upcoming series. I'm still having a hard time understanding what is the point of this and why even the intro had to be altered. With the 3D the 2D looks out of place. In my mind this is some alternative universe spin-off. Having liked the four seasons, especially three and four were a cool twist, with season five I am kind of confused and disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So from my understanding, Ciro and co had a 4-5 year plan for the show. I think the way it ended up working out was he had a main story he wanted to tell that would take up 4 seasons, and if they got a pick up for a last season the idea was to do something fun and just go nuts with stories. When I first started, I wasn't told it was the last season but I had a strong feeling it was and then got confirmation of that back in...sometime in the early fall, though we all knew it in the Summer.

As far as I know this season isn't designed to be a bridge to the new show, and if it is that decision would have been made a lot longer than a few months ago since I've been working on it for a year and pre-production would have started even before that. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick just feels like it's a good way to keep them on TV without just resorting to reruns or just taking them off the air until the new show arrives. That's probably the best I can answer that particular question, those kind of decisions are made at Nickelodeon.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Below average episode for me, Donnie's need for vengeance felt too weird to be taken seriously with how in previous episodes we seem him shot, battered, thrown, battered, disintegrated, getting defenestrated and battered, you would think being almost vivisected would't really bother him but I guess not. Also I didn't really care for the whole vengeance aesop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #14 PapaGreg, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  15. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why Bebop and Rocksteady would still be working for Tiger Claw? They weren't Foot and really had no reason to be all that loyal to Shredder like Bradford and Xever do. I would think once Shredder died they'd want as little to do with things like Demon Dragons as possible.

Oh, and the C Local train never goes outdoors. More mistakes like that and you're just gonna kill the franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering how often NY gets mistaken in media in general, I doubt that would kill off anything.

So here's another little article from my line manager. This was the first episode done by one of the blue teams, Team Leo. My old mentor from school is the lead and he's been on more or less from season 1. Not one of my episodes but in a studio teams help each other out. I helped out on the layout phase since we had some extra time at the time.

Some good action as usual that one of the directors used a shot from to show us some workflow stuff. I remember seeing it and having an issue with Donny's revenge story as well. If this was a season 1 episode I could have understood it more but the last season of the show it just rings hollow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

You'd think Splinter would've really drilled the "not seeking revenge" lesson into them since it is what turned Shredder into the villain he had become.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I say its less revenge and more he could't take the fact that Tang Shen thought Splinter was better in bed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. JoeMabbon

I think everyone else already covered the problems with Don's vendetta, so I'll talk about the anti-mutant discrimination angle.

It kinda works in X-Men because all the mutants (with some exceptions) are humans with super powers. In terms of behavior and background they are fundamentally human. The mutants on this show are all over the place. Some are humans who were changed, others are animals who gained sentience, some are just hostile monsters that just want to eat or kill people. They don't share enough commonalities with each other to form a cohesive identity group and it falls flat as an allegory for real world prejudice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Personally I haven't tuned in because I've already watched these episodes on DVD and I assume that's the same for a lot of people. I also assume a part of it is just natural attrition, like any other show. Some people generally lose interest over time and no show is immune from it. Doesn't say anything about the show's quality. And as for quality, the first four episodes of the fifth season have been really great and I'm eager to see the remaining 16 once they start to air.