1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A special one-shot jump-on issue!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #37

[​IMG]

Story by: Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Bobby Curnow
    Art by: Cory Smith

Description: From the start, two villains have dominated the Turtles’ lives: Shredder and Krang. Now, for the first time, they come face-to-face with each other in the present day! Will they be able to overcome their differences and join forces? It’s a very special stand-alone issue that guarantees some major surprises!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I have to admit my jaw dropped when it looked like Krang gutted Shredder, but it turned out to be a ruse! And then Shredder just unleashed these mutants on Krang, including the new one Bludgeon. So many twists and one that nicely established the current situation between Shredder and Krang though I'm not sure I'd call this the perfect jumping on point. The art was fantastic and the story was great. Why the movie couldn't adapt the IDW Turtles into a movie is beyond me. So it looks like the Turtles may have to choose a side between Krang and Shredder in the future.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Definitely a very thrilling issue of Turtles, and it's nice to have both this and the cartoon for good TMNT stories with the current movie like it is :sweat:.

I was actually expecting Krang and Shredder to legitimately form a partnership in this issue, which I guess would be the expected route, so seeing the meeting end with the two as enemies was a surprise. Though not as surprising as Krang gutting "Shredder" :ack:.

Now Krang wants Shredder dead, badly, and Saki is resigned to the fact that they can't work together and must be enemies. That leaves the Turtles in the middle, still stuck between dealing with the The Foot and stopping the Technodrome. I'm sure the Turtles will ultimately take care of both, but I am intrigued to see who they might focus on first and if they might possibly play up the feud to their advantage. Then there's the Rat King and what he's plotting...

It was cool seeing another original mutant fill up The Foot's rank, and Bludgeon provided some great action scenes. That makes five Mutants, counting Hun, on Shredder's side :cool:.

4. James Harvey

Check out the 2014 annual by Kevin Eastman! A prologue to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ANNUAL 2014

[​IMG]

Story by: Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman
    Art by: Kevin Eastman

Description: The Turtles are whisked away to another dimension by a stranger—Renet! Forced to fight for their survival in a tournament featuring the greatest warriors in the universe, the brothers will have to master new fighting techniques and forge new alliances. But with the deck stacked against them, their chance of survival is slim!

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

This was better than last year's annual. It was a pretty fun issue but this comic felt like something that stepped directly out of the 1980s. The dialogue was pretty hammy an cringe-worthy from time to time. The art was great and it had Eastman's trademark rough/amateurish stylings to it. I really liked the inking/coloring they did for the middle portion of the book. The "Booyakasha" callout was nice, which I assume was both a reference to the Nick cartoon and a nod to Casey Jones' "Goongala" from the original comics. This issue set up the Battle Nexus and hopefully that is something we'll see them come back to from time to time. A good but not great issue but the dialogue really could've been better and the art could've used some more work too.

6. James Harvey

Hitting the high seas!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: TURTLES IN TIME #3

[​IMG]

Story by: Erik Burnham
    Art by: Ben Bates

Description: The Turtles hit the high seas when they are dropped in the middle of a pirate battle! Little do they know that the true leader of the pirates is an enemy they are all too familiar with. Getting out of the time period alive will all depend on the quick wits of the Turtles’ captain... Michelangelo?!

Comments?

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Another really fun issue :).

Mikey ending up as a pirate captain was cool, and his inspiring the old captain of the ship to man up made for a nice scene and led to a great conclusion with the fight at the end :cool:.

I wasn't expecting to see Krang show up, and it's interesting to see the Turtles encountering their baddies, or soon to be baddies, during their time jumps.

I was a fan of Ben Bates' work on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog book, so it was neat seeing him on Turtles and I felt he did a pretty great job with the art ;).

I wonder if that scene at the end of the issue is meant to foreshadow Leatherhead for the main book?

Looking forward to seeing what happens when the Turtles arrive in what appears to be a future run by Shredder :ack:.

8. James Harvey

The final issue of this time-traveling adventure mini-series!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: TURTLES IN TIME #4

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: The Turtles' time-travelling adventure comes to its epic conclusion in the not-too-distant future! The Turtles are shocked to discover a Manhattan greatly changed from the home they know. Surprising enemies and allies await them, in addition to grave decisions. Will they be able to make it back home AND save the future?

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

The last issue of the "Time" mini-series was the weakest. It pretty much went through all the standard tropes for these types of stories when the heroes are thrust into the future and have found that the bad guy has won. A pretty big letdown I think. Still it was a good read though I just wish it was a bit more. The big shock for this issue was seeing how much Dan Duncan has evolved as an artist since he last worked on the comics. You could tell it was him but he has definitely improved by leaps and bounds.

10. James Harvey

A new story begins as our heroes find themselves heading toward an unstoppable war!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #38

[​IMG]

Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: Old Hob has perfected the art of making mutants! With the ranks of his mutant gang swelling, the Turtles will have to determine if they can truly trust Hob against the Foot. Throw in Alopex’s return to New York and the mutant mayhem will only get crazier!

Comments?

11. Wonder Woman

I wonder if this is the start of a third team for the inevitable Krang/Shredder showdown? Mutants versus Krang versus Shredder. That would make for a pretty epic showdown which I'm pretty sure if coming by issue #50. Nice to see that Bebop and Rocksteady are back, and the Hermit and Mondo Gecko appearances were cool little surprises.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't imagine this deal with Hob's group ending well, even if the Turtles are on good terms with Slash, since even if Hob is willing to use his new mutant army to help fight Shredder he's also planning to use them to get revenge on humanity. Something I don't think the Turtles are going to want any part of, and will likely end in the group coming to blows. Especially now that Bebop and Rocksteady are apart of it :sweat:.

It was interesting seeing the family so divided on what to do, from taking on Shredder, to dealing with Krang and the Technodrome, as well as how to handle Hob and his army. I think everybody made a good point, and props to Leonardo for trying to keep a cool head and play devil's advocate, and hopefully the Turtles can come together when it counts ;).

That April and Casey scene was pretty nice, and it's good to see that their relationship is progressing well :).

Seeing Mondo Gecko and I believe a new original mutant in Herman was pretty cool, as was Angel getting more action as Nobody with a guest appearance by Alopex :cool:

13. James Harvey

Lines are being drawn. There's no going back.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #39

[​IMG]

Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: The ranks of Hob’s gang are growing, and two other mutants want in... Bebop & Rocksteady!! Will they imperil the Turtles’ wary alliance with Hob? And just what the heck are Don and Harold busy building? Read on to find out!

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

Did anyone catch that reference by Hobs to the Mighty Mutimals?

I really loved Bebop and Rocksteady in this issue. Their one-shot comic from awhile ago was good but they were ten times as awesome here. Their stupidity and brazen attitude and just overall bad-ass demeanour was really great. And I really like how it seems as though Donatello really took his experience in the "In Time" mini-series to heart. They may not mention it but you can kinda feel it. I love how this bigger picture is starting to form and how just so much of it is connected together.

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah... allying with someone who says they're at war with the humans is a great idea, Splinter, I'm sure it won't backfire in the slightest :shrug:.

Cool to see Alopex teaming up with Angel/Nobody, and seemingly willing to help the Turtles even after what happened in Northampton with her and Raphael.

I had never taken the Turtles in Time issue into account for Donatello's behavior in the recent issues, but that is a cool correlation that makes sense. Seeing how things turn out in the future, and how he ends up, would definitely make him more concerned with the bigger picture than what seems like a minor quarrel driven by revenge that is the Turtles' fight with Shredder. Though I hope he doesn't stay distant from his family for too long because of it :(.

Looking forward to when Metalhead is finally complete :cool:.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's two previews for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters #1, releasing this Wednesday. There's pages 1-6, 10-12, and some edited grabs.

Spook Central's preview

CBR's preview

17. James Harvey

An all-new mini-series co-starring the iconic Ghostbusters!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - GHOSTBUSTERS #1

[​IMG]

Story by: Erik Burnham, Tom Waltz
    Art by: Dan Schoening, Cory Smith, Charles Paul Wilson III

Description: When a new invention goes haywire, the Turtles are sent to a whole new type of New York City. One with a whole lot more ghosts... and Ghostbusters! The two teams will have to learn to get along quickly, because a new foe from the Turtles past has followed them and aims to conquer NYC!

Comments?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They juggled all those characters pretty well, introduced another character in the TMNT mythos, and seem to be continuing a subplot from the TMNT series. I'm not sure on that last one since I don't read the TMNT comic. I think the last thing I read was one of the Secret History of the Foot Clan issues. Only quibble I guess is not enough Ghostbusters but the #1 in a mini is usually the set up piece.

In terms of hidden easter eggs in 10-12, it was neat seeing all the 80's TMNT cartoon stuff.

19. Wonder Woman

I loved this comic! I haven't been reading the IDW Ghostbusters stuff but I just might have to now. This was a great comic that I thought brought both teams together pretty nicely even of the way the Turtles made it to the GB universe was a bit flimsy. The artwork was awesome and I'm really curious to see how they're going to get Casey out of that possession. I was really surprised with how involved this comic was in the ongoing TMNT's comic continuity. I can see how they made it related enough that long time readers will get more out of it but they also made it so that it doesn't look entirely like required reading. Really liked it all the same though.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please do, the series needs some love.

It was rather cliche...

It seems like Chi-You is remotely possessing him like Vigo did with Janosz to an extent. I'm guessing positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime will do the trick.