1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Flipped through some of the new issue. I was surprised that was the same Oroku Saki and he recognized Splinter! Looks like this resurrection is part of the overarching story. So far it's Saki, Yoshi, and his four sons that have been resurrected, right?

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Master Splinter takes center stage! More origin details revealed!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO-SERIES #5 - SPLINTER

[​IMG]

Written by: Erik Burnham
    Art by: Charles Paul Wilson III

Description: Face-to-face with the man who killed his family so many years ago, Master Splinter comes to terms with a life of assassination, love and redemption. This story takes a look back at the entire life of Splinter, including his secret life as Hamato Yoshi. This soul searching provides a startling revelation for Splinter, one that will change his and his son's lives forever!

Comments?

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Kudos to Charles P. Wilson III (for it is he), his flashback art definitely makes the issue! (Not to mention his Yoshi looks ratty even in the past!)

Splinter rarely gets solo stories (then again, I've read almost none of 'Tales Of The TMNT'), so it was a novelty to see him fight solo without the Turtles. The reincarnation angle is still a mystery, but I'm not annoyed either, so that's good. It'll most likely be explained by year's end. The character's persona as a fighter and father is well highlighted in the last few pages, not to mention Tang Shen's spirit living on in her 'sons' (Mikey... heh.) is quite sweet.

The next few micros won't spotlight any mutants or villains, so I may or may not pick 'em up. Then again, I've found none of these one-shots to be disappointing so far.

4. James Harvey

Will Splinter and Shredder face off?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #11

[​IMG]

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz
    Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: The Turtles bring in a surprising new ally to storm the Foot Clan lair! Meanwhile, will Splinter escape the Foot? He'll have to get through the Shredder first! It's a rematch centuries in the making, don't miss it!

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was a little let down by this issue. While it was cool to meet the Purple Dragons and Angel, I thought this issue just seemed like a place-holder, like a stall until next month's finale. The battle between Shredder and Splinter should have started this month as I think we might not have enough room next month for everything.

6. James Harvey

Two new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics this month - one featuring the conclusion of heated battle, and another delving into the backstory of a favorite side character!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #12

[​IMG]

Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: Everything has been leading to this issue— the nail-biting conclusion to the Turtles’ first fight with the Foot! Overwhelmed, outnumbered, injured, and running on fumes, the TMNT family is in for the battle of their lives. Will everyone survive? The end to the first year of IDW Turtles finishes big! Don’t miss it!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO-SERIES: CASEY JONES

[​IMG]

Written by: Mike Costa, Ben Epstein
    Art by: Mike Henderson

Description: Casey Jones has a peculiar life— hockey-playing student by day, vigilante by night. Throw in an alcoholic, abusive father and it’s no wonder you’ve got a guy who likes to whale on criminals with sports equipment! One night though, the criminal element strikes too close to home, and Casey is forced to decide how far he’ll go to keep a very important promise. A crucial moment in the life of Casey Jones!

Comments on these comics?

7. Wonder Woman

A good wrap-up to the first year of stories. It moved a bit slower than I would have liked but it was nice to see the Turtles finally face off against the Shredder. It really seems like they are sticking with the whole reincarnation thing which I'm not a total fan of. Still I'm really enjoying this book overall and I think it's really hitting all the right marks. The art is good, the writing is good, all of it enjoyable even though it is moving a bit too slow. I can't wait to see this world expanded which I think it what we'll see in the second year. Looks like the regular artist for the comic is leaving so we'll be getting someone new soon. All in all a solid end to the first year and I can't wait to see what comes next!

8. James Harvey

The second year of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has begun!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #13

[​IMG]

Art by: Andy Kuhn

Description: The forces of good and evil marshal on multiple fronts as the “Sins of the Fathers” arc begins! Casey Jones’ worsening home life tempts Raph to dangerous action— and Splinter decides to set a new course for his son's way of life. Plus, what dark secret is the Shredder hiding — even from his own Clan?! Change is afoot!

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

Bit of a disappointing filler issue. It seems like things are going to slow down for a couple months before gearing up for what's to come. And since it looks like Slash might be just around that corner I am really looking forward to that! The art was nice but I hope they get someone else. The last artist was kinda phoning it in before he left and while Kuhn is a good artist I'm not sure he works with the comic here.

10. Santino

Santino Member

Kuhn's great, but his turtles are garbage. Too bad he's on through #16... hopefully they replace him right after that.

11. James Harvey

April comes into focus in this new Micro-Series! Plus: The re-emergence of a classic character (think the 1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon) you do not want to miss!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO-SERIES #7: APRIL O'NEIL

[​IMG]

Story by: Barbara Ranadall Kesel
    Art by: Marley Zarcone

Description: April O'Neil's life has been turned upside down in the aftermath of meeting the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Rather than running from the choas, April decides to meet it head-on. Determined to make a difference, April starts to investigate suspicious circumstances at Stockgen Labs. What she finds will have serious repercussions for herself... and the Turtles!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

Slash! Slash!

This was a great comic! The writing was superb and the art was bang-on but I have to say that even though it was a small appearance, Slash really stole the show here. IDW continues to just rule with these comics!

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Slash?! Wow! I take it he's not an alien in this continuity?

14. Wonder Woman

He seems to be a genetic experiment to try and replicate what happened to the Turtles, or just the same process used on him accidentally made the Turtles. He has this great hulk-ish design that looks really excellent. I can see why some TMNT fans would not be happy with this book since it seems to be incorporating a lot of the 80s cartoon stuff and making is more adult and serious. The art was great in this issue too and hopefully we will see this person again.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I see why some fans wouldn't like it but it's cool to see new interpretations even if some of it is an amalgam of past universes. Shredder's line about looking for a worthy second in command was interesting since most of the possible candidates are from animation like Hun and Khan. It'd be neat if Tatsu got a shot.

16. James Harvey

Introducing ... The Fugitoid!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO-SERIES #8: FUGITOID

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Paul McCaffrey

Description: Professor Honeycutt was instrumental in developing General Krang's technology. But when he realized just how insanely tyrannical his boss was, he decided to defect. One doesn't betray Krang without consequences, though, and Honeycutt’s only chance for survival was to transport his mind into a fugitive robot body! The resulting adventure leads the new 'Fugitoid' to Earth, and stands to affect the Turtles’ future in an unexpected and crucial way!

Comments?

17. Wonder Woman

A very cool little issue which brings some nice unexpected backstory into what is going on with the main title. I really like how these micro-series just continue to add on new layers to events we've already seen and laying the groundwork on what's to come. The art here was nice and the story was good. The design of the Fugitoid also works pretty well, too. Not as big as the April O'Neil comic but this issue still dropped some big story ideas that I imagine we'll see in the main book this year. IDW really continues to blend the original Mirage Turtles and the 1980s cartoon Turtles with some really surprising results.

18. tmntspider

tmntspider New Member

It has actually been a pretty good book. They are bringing in alot from the 1980s cartoon yeah but I find they are taking it all at a nice angle. It's not goofy and not too serious. I do hope they bring in more from the original comics though but the 1980s did bring in a pile of new villains for the Turtles to fight. I am really interested to see what they change from the original books and cartoon and how they make it work for the new book. I like this take on it. As a TMNT fan who is very accepting of all of the different versions of the characters I like how this one is striking some nice balances between them all.

19. Santino

Santino Member

The Fugitoid issue was mindblowing. Gotta love those issues that make you wanna go back and read the whole series over.

20. wilbarr17

wilbarr17 Member

Question: I was thinking about trying this series out in trades. What should I start with, the Micro or ongoing?