1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Mikey's spin off was pretty good, of course I'm a little bias since Mikey is my favorite of the turtles. Liked how he was able to walk around as a turtle. It was nice to see Mikey bluff his way through the robbery by remember things his brother did, with Don's technobabble as a way to say that he can't hack, Leo's training helping him dodge the security wires, and Raph's trash talking to anger a guy holding him at gun point and convincing him to punch him.

I'll admit that I did like Raph's side story a little bit more and was handled better since I have a feeling that will pay off more in the main comics and all, but I would still give Mikey a shot.

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I read on a few forums that some people are worried about the introduction of the colored bandanas. Some say it is not staying true to the 'true' Ninja Turtles and will kiddiefy everything. I don't think that will happen really if any of the issues so far are any indication.

3. Fett One

Fett One Jedi Hunter

I for one am glad that they added the colored bandanas. When their weapons weren't visible, I was having a hard time telling them apart. With the exception of Mikey (for the most part), their dialogue seemed to be interchangeable, which led to the confusion when their weapons weren't around.

4. tmntspider

tmntspider New Member

When is the Donatello one-shot coming out? He's my favorite turtle and I've been waiting for that one. The Raphael one was great but I didn't really like the Michaelangelo one.

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

An all-new story arc begins...featuring Krang?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #6

[​IMG]

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz
    Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: It's a new year and the TMNT and Master Splinter look to the future even as they struggle to come to grips with past mysteries. Meanwhile, General Krang grows increasingly impatient with Baxter Stockman, who is prepared to unleash a horrific new weapon to assist Old Hob in his dark quest to return the turtles and their sensei to StockGen Research, where lab intern April O'Neil continues to suspect all is not what it seems.

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

I have to admit I'm not entirely onboard with the possible reincarnation angle to the new Turtles origin. I have a feeling there is something more to it than that. It seems like they're waiting to drop the bit twist for the Turtles origin.

It looks like a few people are still a bit upset by the colored bandanas based ont he comments I've seen on some TMNT forums.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Reincarnation, eh? Saw the preview with that feudal Japan - Yoshi and Saki. Whoa. I'm waiting for the first trade so I was sorta confused with that revelation. But it's not as far out as some concepts from the original Mirage series so I'm eager to read the first couple issues.

I read the Michelangelo micro and enjoyed it very much. I was glad to see Mikey's personality shown through - utilizing his brothers' M.O.'s to get through the heist, being so naive and easy going, going to the movies, and infiltrating a party. Guess the cop was referring to the Shredder and the Foot Clan? But then that'd be a new Shredder and not the one from feudal Japan? Hmm.

8. Wonder Woman

TMNT Co-creator Peter Laird comment on the new TMNT comic in his blog:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36511

Definitely interesting stuff I think, though lots of TMNT fans say they are not surprised by the comments.

9. James Harvey

Krang ... has arrived!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #7

[​IMG]

Description: Baxter Stockman. General Krang. These Turtle villains have largely kept to the shadows... until now. Baxter is determined to capture the Turtles before Krang comes to New York... and he just might have the perfect invention to complete his task. And if that wasn't enough, don't forget Old Hob is still in the picture! Trouble for the Turtles abounds!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

I have to admit I was very stunned to see that caption reading 'Planet Neutrinos.' I had no idea they were going to go there so quickly with this book. I thought it was going to stay street level for a while longer yet. Given the slow pace not much has really happened so bringing in Krang so fast does surprise me. Still I assume fans of the 1980s cartoon are pretty happy to see this. I do like the updated take on Krang and I hope they keep this more serious. I'd hate to see this title get goofy like the 80s cartoon. Still I really liked the issue and it's nice to see things really starting to pick up.

11. James Harvey

Donatello takes the spotlight!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MICRO-SERIES #3

[​IMG]

Story by: Brian Lynch, Tom Waltz
    Art by: Valerio Schiti

The “brains” of the Turtles steps out on his own in this unique tale! Intrigued by a cutting-edge science fair, Donatello goes incognito in public to get his fill of the latest tech. Little does he know that the fair is hosted by none other than Baxter Stockman—and he's holding a competition to see who can create the best gizmo to find the Turtles first! It's up to Don to out-geek the geeks, all while keeping his cover! Don't miss this awesome, fun-filled adventure!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

A really fun comic! I got plenty of laughs at it and was a really fun look at Donatello. While it didn't really move the characters forward it was still a great story. The art was really great though really cartoony, which did fit the tone of the story but I'm used to the more gritty tone of this universe. I am liking these mico-series issues. I am really excited for the Leonardo one the most.

13. James Harvey

The Turtles are under attack!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #8

[​IMG]

Description: Baxter Stockman's latest inventions have found the Turtles lair in the sewers and it's a scramble for survival... and not everyone will make it out safely! General Krang also provides the answers to some lingering mysteries! And Casey Jones and April make an important connection? This issue has it all!

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

This was a great issue! I like that things are starting to unfold. It looks like Krang and Shredder might not be partners but instead enemies! They referenced him a couple times in the issue and I can't wait for issue #10 to see the inevitable clash. I also liked that Casey brought April down to see the Turtles...and she fainted right off the bat! The fight scene between the Turtles and the mousers was very well done I thought. The art really had a nice kinetic energy to it. I also like that there is a solid reason why Stockman is gunning for Splinter. I can't wait to see where this goes. This series is definitely getting better and better as the team really finds their groove.

15. James Harvey

The conclusion of the first TMNT Micro-Series is here!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MICRO-SERIES #4

[​IMG]

Written by: Brian Lynch
    Artwork by: Ross Campbell

The final Turtle Micro-series is here! Leonardo, the eldest brother, has always valued honor and discipline. These noble qualities may not be enough against the most fearsome opponents he has encountered—the ruthless Foot Clan! That's right, the first battle between Turtle and Foot happens RIGHT HERE! This story also leads into the next ongoing story-arc. Don't miss this essential issue!

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

The art by Ross Campbell was AMAZING in this comic. He is such a different choice for these books and I think it paid off really well. I like how he emphasized the 'turtle' aspect by giving the Turtles a cool almost stumpy design. The art looked really smooth and just really nice plus the story was a nice was to give some background and start things heading toward the Shredder. It's nice how nicely balanced these books are from the main book. They expand on the story in the main books but aren't necessary and are still really enjoyable. Probably the best Micro-Issue yet!

17. James Harvey

Don't miss the last page!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #9

[​IMG]

Description: You'd think that General Krang's arrival in New York City would be bad enough news, right? Oh no, there's still plenty more misery to go around! The Turtle's home in the sewers is destroyed thanks to a sinister team-up between Baxter Stockman and Old Hob. Now that the Turtles are homeless, with one of their own captured, things have never looked bleaker for our heroes. The key to their salvation may lie with... April O'Neil??

Comments?

18. Wonder Woman

The best issue yet! While we knew he was coming since the cover to the next issue was revealed it was still a surprise to see Shredder! Plus Karai is also here as well! This book just keeps getting more and more tense. The scene between Hobs and Splinter was really good, and those huge Mousers are just terrifying. It's nice to see more of Casey and April, too. This book is really firing on all cylinders now!

19. James Harvey

The Shredder!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #10

[​IMG]

Description: Enter... THE SHREDDER!

(What else need be said?!)

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

It really seems like they are sticking with the whole reincarnation thing. I was hoping it was all a red herring and there's be a different explaination for the Turtles' backstory. But this issue really ran with it again and I'm really torn on it. That being said this was one of my favorite issues to date. Seeing Splinter absolutely cut loose like he did was amazing. I love how this show is utilizing him and allowing us to see his skill. A really great issue and I can't help but wonder how this storyline will wrap up over the next two issues! The next two issues are going to be epic!