"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Things really picked up here! Splinter and Shredder are fighting to the death and the four Turtles are facing off against four of Shredder's mutants, and it looks like Shredder's lackeys have won! I'm not 100% sure what happened int he last few panels but I am very very anxious to get issue #50 in my hands as fast as possible.

Also is the Batman/TMNT crossover still happening in November? Neither DC Comics or IDW list it in their solicitation information.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It was pushed to December (and fyi not canon with the IDW continuity just inspired by).

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Rat King plays a deadly game...

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: CASEY & APRIL #3 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Mariko Tamaki
    Art by: Irene Koh

Casey and April are separated and both must face the Rat King’s maze alone. Clues to the Pantheon await just out of reach, but Casey and April may not be able to find them if they cannot find each other.

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

That was ... a waste. It looked rushed. The art looked rushed and it felt like nothing of real substance happened during the entire issue until the final page. I think this might be the first out-and-out failure from the IDW TMNT line, in terms of quality. The art is sketchy and the story is moving at a snail's pace. The last three issues could've easily been done in one issue and I assume the final issue will be exactly the same. This is the first time I've been really disappointed in a TMNT comic from IDW.

5. James Harvey

Casey and April face off against the Rat King! The conclusion!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: CASEY & APRIL #4 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Mariko Tamaki
    Art by: Irene Koh

Casey and April struggle to overcome the Rat King’s machinations. Will they be able to make their way to the eldest Pantheon sibling and find the answers they are looking for?

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

Well, that's done. That mini-series really should've been an oversized one-shot. Nothing happened until the last issue it seemed. IDW's TMNT comics have been really good with even the weaker ones managing to be at least enjoyable in some fashion. This was more disappointing than anything. Really excited for issue #50 though.

Thanks! I still plan to get it because these are some of my favorite characters. It reminds me of the old crossovers that Marvel and DC used to do like Batman/Spider-Man and the like.

7. James Harvey

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #50 has arrived, and change is in the air...

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #50

[​IMG]

Story by: Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Bobby Curnow
    Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description:
    The epic conclusion to over four-years worth of storylines! The Turtles stand against Shredder for one final battle that will determine the fate of NYC, and the world, for years to come!

Comments?

Mini-Review: A fantastic issue that superbly pays off quite a few ongoing subplots while also setting up a couple major status quo changes. Two main characters make three decisions (among the many made) that look to have long-term consequences and repercussions. Do not miss!

8. Wonder Woman

Now that was a great comic. Not only was there some legitimate payoffs, but that last page really changed everything. Shredder is dead and Splinter has taken over as leader of the Foot Clan - I did not see that coming! Mikey's reaction makes sense, given his more naive demeanour and I'm glad we'll get to finally get an arc focused on him. There does seem to be some worry that Splinter might be getting corrupted. Shredder's final moments actually added some layers to his character too.

That last page kinda changes everything though. It seems like the Turtles were actually not reincarnated but brought back through biotech science. Unless it turns out that despite everything, the Turtles were reincarnated anyways or having their DNA faciliated their reincarnation. Regardless I did not see that twist coming.

9. James Harvey

The recovery begins as our heroes deal with the ramifications of issue #50...

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #51

[​IMG]

Art by: Ken Garing

Description:
    A new age begins for the TMNT. The epic events of TMNT #50 have created new opportunity… and dangers. Will the family stay united in the face of a devastating new foe?

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

Not a bad issue but it definitely felt like a bit of a filler. I wasn't a big fan of the art, ether. It looked like something from a fill-in issue of a 1990s comic. While it did remind me of the older art style used on the old TMNT comics, by Lawson and the like, it just doesn't mesh well here. Still the story itself was good as we're seeing immediately that some Foot Soldiers aren't keen with Splinter and the Turtles now leading the organization. I love this twist the book introduced and I can't wait to see how it plays out. I just wish the artwork was better. It seems like the next five issues are fill-in artists before the regular returns.

11. James Harvey

There is division among the ranks...

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #52

[​IMG]

Description:
    A new faction within the Foot colludes against Splinter and the Turtles as they struggle to deal with new threats to New York City. And where’s Michelangelo?

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

I wonder if Casey Jones' "nothing" is a little jab at the Casey & April mini-series which ended up being really really pointless. The art seemed a little better this month and the story is really great. The Phantoms seem like good foes but I have a question. Are they based on a pre-existing character? I don't remember them from the 80s cartoon or the few Mirage comics I read. I also didn't watch all of the overrated 2003 cartoon as is lost steam around the fourth season and that disappearing/techno stuff seems like something that show would do.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They might be based on the Street Phantoms from Fast Forward. I've read some theories that from #51, they started incorporating some Fast Forward characters.

14. Wonder Woman

It seems like the comic is really grabbing from a lot of obscure TMNT stuff. The "Dark Water" team I think is from the 80s cartoon.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they leave no stone unturned it seems

16. James Harvey

What has Mikey been up to since he left the team?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #53

[​IMG]

Description: Michelangelo is warmly welcomed when he visits the Mutanimals. But the hospitality may be cut short when he discovers what Hob’s new plan is…

Comments?

17. Wonder Woman

A nice light-hearted issue but I have the feeling this arc might be more a little bit of filler. The art was fantastic though and the story was actually pretty fun. It was a nice breather from the stuff with the Turtles and the Foot Clan. Maybe filler is a bad choice of word but we're getting a little bit of a breather because you know some bad stuff is set to go down with the Foot very soon.

And thanks for helping me with the Dark Water stuff, Yojimbo. A cool reference.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Your welcome, Spider-Man.

I'm not a fan of that 'ellipses-next-page' format. And well Dark Water was one of those things from the cartoon best forgotten along with much of the final season. I think at that point, I was reading more of the Archie comic than watching the show.

Leo and Alopex 'outsmarting' the Phantoms was dumb. The typical 'goad the dumb villain' to drop their technological advantage.

Not that I have anything against repeatedly featuring the Foot Clan, but it looks like another city war is in the making if Splinter intends to take control? I can see him and Hob at war again.

19. Wonder Woman

Same here. I was kinda slowly moving away from the show toward the end but still read the Archie Comic which became something really great. I wonder if maybe some of that stuff will eventually work its way into the IDW TMNT. And yeah, it looks like another war is coming but I wonder if it will be more of an internal one with the Foot not being happy with Splinter and the Turtles' involvement with them now. Maybe it will lead to the dismantling of the Foot all together.

Also, it looks like the IDW comic is getting a video game:

20. James Harvey

Mikey faces the threat of the Purple Dragons ... solo!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #54

[​IMG]

Description: Michelangelo vs. Hun! Startling revelations will have lasting effects on the Mutanimals and Mikey’s path. What side will Hob take in coming conflict?

Comments?