"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Can Donatello truly be dead? The fallout!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #45

[​IMG]

Story by: Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Bobby Curnow
    Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: The Turtles return from Burnow Island to find unimaginable tragedy. As the family struggles to cope, an enraged Foot Clan prepares its revenge. It's all been building to this...the start of the final storyline leading to #50!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

No one really expected Donatello to die but it was a shame to see that spoiled by the FCBD issue preview a month or so back. Still this was a very good issue and a nice breather. The artwork was fantastic and I love how the artist tried to employ some ncie softer touches for the scenes of Donnie in limbo. Them putting Donnie's consciousness in Metalhead is a good idea but I imagine it'll be temporary until issue #50 or so. I can't believe how consistently solid this book has been since the first issue and it feels like it's really heading toward its first major endgame. Based on the previews I am excited to see that Stockman is going to be a major threat coming up.

3. James Harvey

Get caught up on the world of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with this special issue!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: PRELUDE TO VENGEANCE

[​IMG]

Writers: Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow
    Artist: Mateus Santolouco

The Turtles' final battle with Shredder begins here! This book will take us inside the minds of key characters in the TMNT universe, revealing the epic moments that have led to the present, as well as setting the stage for the biggest storyline yet with all new material!

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

A great recap of everything that has happened so far and the art was gorgeous. I love the ending that shows that Stockman is going to be a massive threat going forward as the book builds to its 50th issue. This is such an unappreciated book and has been consistently great since the first arc. I hope this draws a few more eyes towards it as it really deserves it.

5. James Harvey

Will the Mutanimals survive the threat of Null?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTIMALS #3 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Andy Kuhn

Description: The Mutanimals' ranks have swelled, and they are ready to rumble! Null has a couple of surprises in store though!

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

Mutanimals is wrapping up well but this seems to be one of the weaker efforts from IDW's TMNT line. I'm just not feeling this. Usually the tie-in minis have a bit more of a sense of urgency about them and this seems to be floundering just a bit. The art is still pretty great though and it's not a bad read just not as good as the TMNT line usually is. It just seems a little uneven.

7. James Harvey

Meet Donatello ... the new Metalhead?!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #46

[​IMG]

Description: Casey prepares for a final showdown with Hun as the Purple Dragons run amok. Meanwhile the TMNT struggle to reunite as a family while a greater threat looms … what is The Stockman Swarm?

Comments?

8. Wonder Woman

Did anyone catch the nice visual nod to TDKR in the new TMNT ish? Nicely done, I thought. Overall it looks like the book is gearing up for an epic 50th issue. I wonder if the 50th issue will be the last for the book as some of the synopsises for these issues say this is the "final" storyline. I assume the book might be heading for a relaunch or something instead. I hope it's not being ended for now since it's one of the best monthlies out there right there. There have been a few weak issues but overall this has been a remarkably consistent book.

I also picked up the hardcover collection of the first 12 issues and it's really well done. I wish it came with a dust jacket but it still looks great and is really great quality. Only $50 bucks too, which seems like a reasonable price compared to what Marvel is charging now for their collections.

9. James Harvey

The Mutanimals are in for the fight of their lives!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTIMALS #4 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Paul Allor
    Art by: Andy Kuhn

The climactic showdown between the Mutanimals and Null! Surprises await both sides of the conflict!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

I wasn't totally sold on the Mutanimals mini-series but this issue really turned that around and wrapped everything up really nicely. My only gripe is the artwork, which was really rushed at times. Kuhn's a good artist but there were definitely some very very sketchy pages in there. This seems like a mini-series I'll have to re-read. I don't know why but a lot of things clicked in this issue and the character work here was actually really great, and there were some really effective character moments. A really strong ending to a mini-series I thought was one of the weaker moments, but I'll definitely have to re-read the whole mini now.

11. James Harvey

A new mini-series spotlighting the dynamic duo of Casey & April!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: CASEY & APRIL #1 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Mariko Tamaki
    Art by: Irene Koh

Introducing a very unique TMNT tale starring Casey Jones and April O’Neil, by acclaimed indie writer Mariko Tamaki! The couple take a road trip to the southwest to dig up more clues about the mysterious Pantheon that has seemingly been pulling the strings on the Turtles’ lives from the beginning. Casey and April will find even deeper mystery, unexpected danger, and start a new chapter in their relationship.

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

Rat King! I did not see that coming! The last few pages of the first issue sure were a surprise and a nice treat. I found the issue had a nice relaxed pace going on and was definitely something different than the usual stuff we get from the TMNT books at IDW. It was a nice look at Casey and April's relationship and their character, all topped off by a great cliffhanger that has me on board for the next three issues! The anime-inspired artwork was also really nice looking too. Something totally different, especially after the Mutanimals stuff, and really good. Can't wait for more!

I also can't wait for issue #50 based on the solicit info for IDW that came out.

13. James Harvey

Can the Turtles save the city?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #47

[​IMG]

Description:
    The Stockman Swarm engulfs NYC searching high and low for the Turtles. The Turtles are on the run and desperate. Will they be able to find sanctuary before it’s too late? The race to issue #50 accelerates as two Turtle foes join forces to overrun New York!

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

A good issue. You can tell they are definitely gearing up for the finale. Stockman has unleashed his robot horde and it looks absolutely terrifying. Looks like April and Casey are getting out of town just in time. I like that this issue has set up a figure arc with the scroll and that rat-like creature on it who must be Splinter. My only gripe is the Hun stuff is getting a little tiring. With him being carted off maybe that'll give us a break from it for a bit. At least it's really brought out Casey's character. Awesome cliffhanger ending though and I can't wait for the next issue.

15. James Harvey

Casey & April versus ... the Rat King?!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: CASEY & APRIL #2 (OF 4)

[​IMG]

Story by: Mariko Tamaki
    Art by: Irene Koh

Casey and April struggle to keep their relationship afloat as they look for answers in the desert. Someone is striving to cut their journey short—the Rat King!

Comments?

#215 James Harvey, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  16. Wonder Woman

A possibly dumb question, but is the Rat King making Casey and April see things? That raises a plot hole or two. Aside from that it's a pretty good issue though it seemed like the story didn't really move forward that much. It was also a very very very quick read. I think I was done the issue in roughly five minutes.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I flipped through it and I got the impression the whole town and people they meet are illusions or Rat King in disguise. Even though we're going to learn more about the Pantheon, I feel like it might be big waste story-wise since last time Rat King mind wiped Leo and Splinter. He may do the same here.

18. James Harvey

Will the Turtles survive an epic showdown with Baxter Stockman?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #48

[​IMG]

Description:
    The Turtles take the fight to Baxter Stockman as both Karai and Shredder plan their final moves!

Comments?

19. Wonder Woman

A good issue but it pretty much ended with everyone in the same position as when the issue started. Seems like a little bit of filler so the arc can wrap up at issue #50. Still it was a good issue. The art is fantastic. I'm sorry to hear Cory Smith will be doing some book for Marvel (which will likely be cancelled by the 6th issue) and leaving TMNT. He did a great job on the comic when he filled in for Santolouco.

That does make a bit more sense - thanks for clearing that up. I just couldn't wrap my head around the part where it turns out the gas station was actually abandoned but I thought they filled up their vehicles there. I may need to read it a bit more closely. :)

20. James Harvey

The finale draws closer...

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #49

[​IMG]

Description:
    A final battle looms as Karai decrees a “Gauntlet” battle between ancient foes Splinter and Shredder but first the Turtles must defeat the Foot mutants— Koya, Bludgeon, Bebop & Rocksteady! With Leo making an unimaginable battle gamble, a second Turtle’s life may be on the line! The penultimate issue leading to the double-sized TMNT #50!

Comments?